Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How else can I look for a job?

How else can I look for a job?

Old Oct 1st 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default How else can I look for a job?

I have applied for plenty of jobs that were advertised on seek.com.au during the last month but got rejection e-mails from most and no response from some. My previous background is in financial services. With heavy cash outflow in Sydney and no jobs, my situation is getting a bit desperate now.

Any suggestion/help on finding a job will be graciously received.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How else can I look for a job?

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
I have applied for plenty of jobs that were advertised on seek.com.au during the last month but got rejection e-mails from most and no response from some. My previous background is in financial services. With heavy cash outflow in Sydney and no jobs, my situation is getting a bit desperate now.

Have you registered at an employment agency? (or three!)

I started out by temping for one, not been out of work since.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sandwich board with "EMPLOY ME written on both sides... Failing that I have good contacts with Big Issue if thats of any help...

Personally I avoid agencies like the plague... Make sure your resume is Australiansised and kepp on at it....
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:40 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Sandwich board with "EMPLOY ME written on both sides... Failing that I have good contacts with Big Issue if thats of any help...

Personally I avoid agencies like the plague... Make sure your resume is Australiansised and kepp on at it....
Proof read it for typos too
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Some companies don't use Seek or agencies but recruit directly - look up their websites - eg Coles, Woolies, Bunnings???
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say what you do; in some occupations most of the recruitment is handled through recruitment agents, so whether you like them or not you might need to get them on side.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of what industry you're in or who's advertising, make contact with the company first. Don't send in your CV (make sure to call it résumé here ) and letter without trying to talk to somebody, even if you can't think of anything to discuss. Most interviews I've had have been with people I have chatted to about the ad before applying, even if only to ask as simple a question as 'when will the job start?' Speaking to one of the recruiters for the NAB recently, she confirmed the above and agreed that she is more likely to put an application at the top of the pile if the applicant has made the effort to call first.

I have even gone to the length of looking up a company's phone number if they only give an email. I still call them and ask to speak to the person responsible for the job ad. More often than not they are happy to discuss the application process. And most definitely, call a recruitment agent before sending your application.

If there are Key Selection Criteria (KSC) listed (for most gvt or education jobs), make sure you ask what format they should take, i.e. how long? maximum number of pages? should they form part of the cover letter? should they be separate?

As said above, PROOF-READ!!! Ask somebody else to read your application and spot typos or any mistake. Another thing that might help if you don't have Australian experience, is to provide a written reference letter with your application. You will still need to give the contact details of the referee, but it shows that you have come prepared. I did that when I first started looking for a job and I suspect it helped as they did not contact any of my overseas work referees, only personal friends here.

As suggested as well, register for alerts on the big companies' websites, like the big banks, universities, government, etc. depending on what your industry is. And tailor your CV and letter to the job!

Good luck
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Eee.... Where's my Gracious Receipt?

Whatever you do DONT type your CV on an Ipad
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you offshore? Might be Easier finding jobs on site so to speak...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

The first job in Australia is the hardest to get, I have found that many companies don't place much weight on overseas experience, especially in IT, consider applying for a more junior job than your last one, just to get local contacts and experience also consider a lower paid role for the same reasons.

Also, if you haven't already, join LinkedIN - its free and I've had a few approaches from people who found me on there.

For some financial work there is more opportunities in Melbourne, but its not much cheaper.

Good luck!

Last edited by coldbeer; Oct 2nd 2011 at 4:02 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you registered at an employment agency? (or three!)

I started out by temping for one, not been out of work since.
I have put in my details on the web sites of a few recruitment companies. Are you referring to some other registration i.e. visiting their offices?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Proof read it for typos too
Thanks! Btw, I liked your previous avatar more!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by eddie007

Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saveme
Some companies don't use Seek or agencies but recruit directly - look up their websites - eg Coles, Woolies, Bunnings???
Thanks!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Everything Elice said plus: they do a lot of electronic keyword searches here so when you're producing your resume send a copy on word as well as/instead of a more readable pdf. Make sure you've included all the key words they've advertised such as led or budget or quickbooks or whatever skills/experience they've said they're looking for.

Good luck.

Cal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.