Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How easy/hard is it getting a visa without an agent?

How easy/hard is it getting a visa without an agent?

Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

chrisp6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How easy/hard is it getting a visa without an agent?

We could not afford to use an agent! So we gathered all the relavent info together and bit by bit we ploughed through it.
Started the ball rolling Oct 2003 visa granted Dec 2004 (Subclass 136 Skilled Independant) straight forward application BUT CHECK THOROUGHLY Your answers!
If you are unsure of any Questions we posted them on here and ALWAYS got help!
Good Luck
Chris

QUOTE=zenamethyst]If we can afford it I think using an emigration visa agent is a good idea but most of our money is tied up in our house which we don't want to sell at the mo and can't really afford a loan. We are selling our car and getting an old banger to release some cash but wondered whether anyone has applied for and got visas on their own and whether they saved a lot or was it not really worth it?

Any help gratefully appreciated!!! Has anyone ever written a book/manual on how to emigrate to Australia? Would be great if they had!!! If not by the end of all this I may just do it! [/QUOTE]
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:05 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice
Default Re: How easy/hard is it getting a visa without an agent?

Hi, I agree with the rest of the guys here that you don't really need an agent, unless it a complex case. This is coming from someone who is using one.

We got an agent on the backlash of two failed skills assessments (one TRA and one ACS). Also we hadn't found this site at the time and I now realise I could have saved myself £1800.00 and a lot of grief (see my earlier thread 'has our agent lied to us!!!' - posted today) and you'll see what I mean.

You've made the first right move by joining this forum, loads of experienced immigration 'vets'.

Good luck with the process.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: How easy/hard is it getting a visa without an agent?

has any 1 used or heard of visa plus? as an immigration company how do they fare???
so pleased that you got all these replies i was stuck in exactly the same boat!
AGENT OR NOT TO AGENT? that was the question now the more i read this site the more i believe that the application and visa process isn't quite as :scared: as i 1ce believed it to be!!!!!!!!!

THANKS TO ALL!!!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheRossers
Hi, I agree with the rest of the guys here that you don't really need an agent, unless it a complex case. This is coming from someone who is using one.

We got an agent on the backlash of two failed skills assessments (one TRA and one ACS). Also we hadn't found this site at the time and I now realise I could have saved myself £1800.00 and a lot of grief (see my earlier thread 'has our agent lied to us!!!' - posted today) and you'll see what I mean.

You've made the first right move by joining this forum, loads of experienced immigration 'vets'.

Good luck with the process.
As someone who is also considering the process, can you tell me if there is an extra charge each time you have to re-take the skills assessment?
Thanks,
Dianne
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:58 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DianneH68
As someone who is also considering the process, can you tell me if there is an extra charge each time you have to re-take the skills assessment?
Thanks,
Dianne
I know that TRA will charge again for a review another A$300 :scared:

So best to give all the info you can. I got all info about my trade together as asked in their guide, as to what is reqired and paid fee, sent it off.
Twelve weeks later result !

Give it a go its not realy that hard if you can trace most of your work history, just time consuming.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Thanks,
Dianne
you have to pay the Oz Skill Agency (e.g. TRA/ACS/VETASSESS etc) each time you take a skills assessment.

If you have a good agent then in theory you shouldn't fail as they should (in theory) only allow the skills assessment to be sent off when they are happy it is good enough to pass, and they should have checked you when you asked them to take you on as to whether you stood a chance of a visa/skills assessment.

However, there are some dodgy agents out there, as with everything in life, and sometimes honest mistakes are made. Best thing to do if you are planning to use an agent is to find one recommended by others (e.g. quite a few are recommended on this forum).

Alex
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Born2tri will become famous soon enoughBorn2tri will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

Just wanted to say we have used an agent but if i had to do it again which i hope never to have to then i would go it alone, we went with an agent thinking that it would be quicker for us, and that it would be done without any mistakes (how naive we were). We were told by agent to front load medicals and pc's which we did, then had application acknowledged on 30th March 2004 in Adelaide. We have only just being asked for medicals and pc's so because only valid for 12mths we have to retake them, so for me i am annoyed our agent asked us to do them in the 1st place as it is an expense we could do without being as there is four of us to have them done.
Agent is holding no responsibility to this as saying it is out of their hands how long applications can take.
They also make me feel like i have no right emailing them and asking questions, which is unfair as we have paid them to work for us. I know i have found out much more just by being on this site really as there is alot of people on here to help you if you need it.
Hope whichever way you decide to apply that it works out for you and all the other's still waiting!

Lisa
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

we didn't use an agent and we got our 136 skilled independent visas after 4 months from lodging our application... i wasn't asked for any additional information, but did go completely over the top with organisation and abuse of highlighter markers and post its, but it paid off, people thought i was mad at the time, but we saved a wad of cash and the feeling of achievement at the end of it when i got that yellow envelope was priceless!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gajjitt
We went for the Sponsored Designated Area visa (Class BQ/subclass 139), we had to go through Vetassess to have our skills assessed first off. Then we had to have an assurance of support assessed so that they would support you for 2 years. My wife's father lives in Adelaide and so was a perfect sponsor. One stipulation of the visa was that the sponsor would not reside in certain high population areas such as Sydney, Melbourne etc.
The entire state of Victoria, including Melbourne, is designated for the purpose of subclass 139.

Jeremy
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gavstrad
I got told at an Emigration Show that over 50% fail due to incomplete/incorrect documents etc! But I have no real evidence of this…

Gav
I was also told this at the show......but by an agent. I was told by DIMIA that this was completely untrue
I did my own- it was more stressful than difficult. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We got a 139 and did it ourselves.

Proving relationship to sponsor is easy, its just birth and marrage certificates, but get the "long copies" of your birth certificates ready as they will want these (or they did from us)

For the skills assesment just go through it step by step, make sure that you have a specific answer pertaining to each question. I was an utter control freak over mine and did a table of contents with corresponding numbers, heading sheets etc. My assuror pulled out last minute which was an utter bomb shell, but luckily someone else stepped in but at least i was dealing with it direct and wasn't waiting for calls and paper work to be sent Via an agent. It would have tipped me over the edge (like i said, control freak) (your assuror can be anyone providing they meet the income requirements and have PR and are over 18)

Luckily my case officer was great and gave us extra time to re do paper work etc. In our case having an agent wouldn't have helped one bit, but in more complicated visa classes i would definately use one. Good luck.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:33 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of points here:

1. Technically you only need to meet what are called the Schedule 1 requirements for the visa class under which you are applying for the application to be valid (ie accepted by the Department of Immigration). For a Skilled Independent application under subclass number 136 this means:

- lodge form 47SK
- pay the visa application charge
- lodge the application at the Skilled Processing Centre in Adelaide

In other words your application will be accepted without documents the case officer would need to reach an opinion on your application.

2. In broad terms, a case officer is at liberty to make a decision on a visa application based on the information before him or her at any time. The Department is also keen for applications to be as "decision ready" as possible when they are looked at by case officers - that's one reason why there are now checklists available for the skilled and business skills visas (see the immi website).

Therefore a valid but incomplete application isn't the best tactic if you want a relatively quick decision from the DIMIA on your visa application.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Marlo
I got told at an Emigration Show that over 50% fail due to incomplete/incorrect documents etc! But I have no real evidence of this…

Gav

We also went to an emigration show, at Sandown race course, we spoke to someone at the Australia High Commission desk who told us that if you send incomplete/incorrect documents that they WON'T fail you or throw your application to the bottom of the pile, but will request from you the information they want. This is exactly what did happen to us, we sent the relevant documents off, a week later we received our visas (skilled migration, taking 10 months in total). This was in 2003, no agent.

Good luck
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
A couple of points here:

1. Technically you only need to meet what are called the Schedule 1 requirements for the visa class under which you are applying for the application to be valid (ie accepted by the Department of Immigration). For a Skilled Independent application under subclass number 136 this means:

- lodge form 47SK
- pay the visa application charge
- lodge the application at the Skilled Processing Centre in Adelaide

In other words your application will be accepted without documents the case officer would need to reach an opinion on your application.
And supply a skill assessment, of course.

Jeremy
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:35 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by gavstrad

Gav

50% of all applications or just those that are refused?

The refusal rate is well under 50%, and a lot of this is due to the skill assessment process that 'fails' a lot of applications even before they get to DIMIA.

The most common reason for refusal at DIMIA stage for skilled applications is the work experience not meeting DIMIA requirements. For example, it's not really in a 'skilled' occupation but rather in a clerical or semi-skilled one, or it's less than 20 hours per week (which traps many nurses, for example).

There is enormous confusion about this and many people think that just because you have a skill assessment (even if you needed work experience to get this) that you will automatically meet the work experience requirement set by DIMIA - not true.

Sponsored applicants often get tripped up by the Assurance of Support rules.

As others have said, an agent is basically there to provide technical guidance and review your application to make sure it's right first time.

Lots of people with simple applications do their own successfully. However the good agents will know about when it might be possible to use an alternative skill assessing authority that might be easier. Or perhaps point the applicant to a regional option like STNI which he or she might not have been aware of.

Jeremy
Old Feb 26th 2005, 4:56 am
Just Joined

HelpMePlease is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: How easy/hard is it getting a visa without an agent?

Hi. My American girlfriend and I are going to marry while she's here, and then apply for a spouse visa.

I think we're probably capable of doing the paperwork ourselves. It's just going to be time-consuming to make sure that everything is done correctly.

My question is, does it help if my girlfriend has any skills, qualifications or work experience to quote? Would these make her a more attractive prospect to immigration officials.

To my mind, a spouse visa shouldn't be ranked like this...I mean, that's what work visas are for aren't they?

This is a really valuable reference guide. Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.