Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How difficult/easy it is to get into a Government job in Brisbane?Pre-requisites?

How difficult/easy it is to get into a Government job in Brisbane?Pre-requisites?

Old Oct 25th 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

lakram5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How difficult/easy it is to get into a Government job in Brisbane?Pre-requisites?

Hi Fellas,

I come from IT background and want to keep me off the pressure tracks now and was wondering about the possibility of getting into a government job.May not be immediate before I hone my necessary skills and pre-requisites though.

Has any of you tried this way of job switch before?
What are the gov job openings for a women in Brisbane? How much roughly would be the pay? What are the pre-requisites for getting into a gov job? Is Citizenship a must to get into a gov job?

(I am a PR holder,landed in Brisbane two months ago,yet to find a job here.Was working in IT till two months before outside Aussie. I dont have local experience in IT at all though I have 8 years of IT testing experience outside Aussie.Been scouting for job from last month but everybody asks for local experience.Getting pissed off so kind of looking at preparing myself for other alternatives when I can.)

Considering these factors can somebody answer my question please?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Paddy.
Old Oct 25th 2015, 3:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How difficult/easy it is to get into a Government job in Brisbane?Pre-requisites?

Originally Posted by lakram5455
Hi Fellas,

I come from IT background and want to keep me off the pressure tracks now and was wondering about the possibility of getting into a government job.May not be immediate before I hone my necessary skills and pre-requisites though.

Has any of you tried this way of job switch before?
What are the gov job openings for a women in Brisbane? How much roughly would be the pay? What are the pre-requisites for getting into a gov job?

(I am a PR holder,landed in Brisbane two months ago,yet to find a job here.Was working in IT till two months before outside Aussie. I dont have Is Citizenship a must to get into a gov job?local experience in IT at all though I have 8 years of IT testing experience outside Aussie.Been scouting for job from last month but everybody asks for local experience.Getting pissed off so kind of looking at preparing myself for other alternatives when I can.)

Considering these factors can somebody answer my question please?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Paddy.
Paddy, your questions are way too broad for anyone to answer specifically. However, I'll give it a go.

Firstly, Queensland has three levels of government - Federal, State and Local. There are 77 local government areas (Councils) in Queensland.

What are the gov job openings for a women in Brisbane?
Exactly the same as they are for men. Discrimination based on gender has been illegal in Australia for quite some time. The rare examples you will see are based on gender being a genuine qualification for the job, and such exemptions must be approved by the Equal Opportunities Commission.

How much roughly would be the pay?
Depends entirely on the job and its designated level of responsibility and technical expertise

Is Citizenship a must to get into a gov job?
Again, it depends on the job and the security level attached to it. For 'ordinary' jobs, I believe the rule of thumb is either citizenship or PR, but that also varies. You'd need to read the requirements listed for each job advertisement.

Here's a link to Queensland State government jobs, there's also a link on the page to Local government jobs. You'll be able to search and find something similar for Federal government. Do a lot of research and you'll start to build up a picture.
https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobtool..._organid=14904
Old Oct 26th 2015, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Default Re: How difficult/easy it is to get into a Government job in Brisbane?Pre-requisites?

Thanks a lot Spouse of Scouse for your reply.
I have applied for few jobs from SEEK through this site but I guess again local experience is considered first since I didn't get any positive outcome from this.
But will go through the link you shared thoroughly.
Have a good day
Old Oct 26th 2015, 12:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot Spouse of Scouse for your reply.
I have applied for few jobs from SEEK through this site but I guess again local experience is considered first since I didn't get any positive outcome from this.
But will go through the link you shared thoroughly.
Have a good day
You're welcome Paddy, hope you have a good day too and best of luck with the search.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 12:39 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Don't be expected to be offered a full time permanent position immediately. The general trend in the Queensland public sector is to offer either causal part time, or permanent casual part time. They did this with me when I started 10 years ago in Education but financially it was not to my detriment as the causal hourly rate was quite good ($65 an hour day time teaching and $106 an hour evening teaching).

I made the switch to another Government Department (in a completely different area of which I had no previous experience) just over 4 years ago. I was lucky to be offered permanent full time but 2 years ago they were only offering causal part time, or permanent casual part time but would make you permanent full time if you proved yourself and were really good at your job - usually within 4-6 months. That said some new staff have been permanent causal part time for 2 years.

Once you start in the public sector it is easier to move around between jobs and departments - the main thing is getting your foot in the door.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 12:49 am
Just Joined

You said it Woodcutter!
Yep I am confident I have the expertise to prove myself but I am just down when the recruiting people ask if I have prior experience with any gov project for gov related openings although all other requirements of their match my profile.
Getting my first entry in the gov job sector(or for that matter any other IT job locally) is proving to be a big challenge.
And yes I am not even looking for permanent job.I am open to the type of employment.Still not much luck.
Anyways will continue to scout for work.By the way, would you mind telling me how you gained entry into the gov job?Was it through direct application or through some consultancies?It might give me an idea of where to start with.Hope you wouldn't mind this question.
Thanks for the reply though
Old Oct 26th 2015, 1:35 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

You said it Woodcutter!
Anyways will continue to scout for work.By the way, would you mind telling me how you gained entry into the gov job?Was it through direct application or through some consultancies?It might give me an idea of where to start with.Hope you wouldn't mind this question.
Thanks for the reply though
To get my first job in education I was proactive. I found out the name of the department head in the faculty I wanted to work in and sent my resume directly to him. A few days later I followed this up with a phone call and said I was in the area on 2 separate days at particular times and what time was more convenient for him to talk about possible teaching positions (the reality was that at the time I was a house husband and was free anytime). I got an interview and started on 4 hours a week. Within 2 weeks that had increased to 22 hours a week and he gave me a casual full time contract.

My present job I sourced from the government job website: https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobtool..._organid=14904

Last edited by The Woodcutter; Oct 26th 2015 at 1:37 am.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 1:40 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I am also a QLD Government employee (State) and I am on a fixed-term contract (which I have had rolled over twice and am now 8 years in.

Government jobs are quite sought after simply because they are often stable and have good conditions. Keep trying, sometimes it's all about the timing.

Ensure your resume is top-notch, no errors and well laid out. Highlight your capabilities and achievements and pay attention when responding to the key selection criteria.

Good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 7:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Qld State Govt too, and have a lot of friends in IT. One of the problems with getting into State these days is the hangover from the newman government sackings. There a still a lot of staff trying to get back into government, and they will be hired before anyone with no experience here.
However, keep trying! It IS possible to get that first temp or contract job and after that its a lot easier to move to other longer temr positions. It just takes time and persistence