Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice
Default Re: How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Originally Posted by In Exile
I pay 4.99 (CAD) a month for use of UnblockUS DNS solution. It doesnt lag like a VPN, and it allows me to get iPlayer on the PS3 and, more importantly, it allowed me to subscribe to US based Netflix on the 360/PS3/AppleTV and watch shit loads.

I tried expatshield but found that everything just slowed down.
unblockUS streams netflix content at HD after a few minutes (720p i presume)
This solution seems really good as I have multiple devices and I can change this on the router. For the xbox, do you need to get your AU xbox live gold account migrated to a US account so that you can access Netflix? Every time I sign in with my AU XL Gold account, the options for Netflix disappear. I guess I'm answering my own question!

LP
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
I pay 4.99 (CAD) a month for use of UnblockUS DNS solution. It doesnt lag like a VPN, and it allows me to get iPlayer on the PS3 and, more importantly, it allowed me to subscribe to US based Netflix on the 360/PS3/AppleTV and watch shit loads.

I tried expatshield but found that everything just slowed down.
unblockUS streams netflix content at HD after a few minutes (720p i presume)
Hi, Do you set your DNS IP addresses on your router? and if so does this service slow your connection down in any way, on other devices?
I fance getting a Roku - http://www.roku.com/ but the only way I could use one is to change the router's DNS settings as you can't do it on the device itself.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

DadAgain, I have sent u a couple of messages with my email address for the www.xspeeds.com, invite code.

Yeah guys, 2GBs, BOO!!!! but after that it works, but slow. I guess we are tied in til July.

Here's where I am at the mo, OR the pickle I am in .

I have downloaded utorrent. I await access to xspeeds (as above). In the interim, I have opened 'iso Hunt', searched for a programme (series), I was after 'True Blood - Season 2'. It has found it, however there are quite a few buttons/options to press to download it....so which one is the correct one, doh!

I have already downloaded something in error and have just uninstalled it.

Help pls
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Guys, me again, sorry I know this post will be annoying people. But I think I've kinda got it. Somehow uTorrent is now downloading True Blood. It's currently on 0.2%, so prob in a couple of weeks I will update you all. Yes we seriously need to reconsider our plan!

So what is the generic name for sites like isoHunt?

Thanks for everyones help so far
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:49 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
... I have opened 'iso Hunt', searched for a programme (series), I was after 'True Blood - Season 2'. It has found it,
isohunt is just an aggregator I think.

If you want a public tracker (sure way to get a 'cease and decist' letter from the people who care) - then 'thepiratebay' is still one of the better ones.

To download the whole of TrueBloodS02 on a 2Gb a month link is going to kill you - it might take until June! (12 x 1Gb = 12Gb = 6 months of quota!)

2Gb a month is not for *real* internet usage - its for forum browsing and checking attachment-free email only! (Kinda data usage you might expect from a phone - not someone seeking quality home entertainment! )

(anyway - I've sent you a link to xspeeds. If I were you I'd forget downloading TrueBlood for now and either go buy the DVD set or buy a proper internet connection - Its way cheaper than Foxtel).

Last edited by DadAgain; Feb 3rd 2012 at 4:52 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Slightly left field on the original topic but has anyone an opinion on WD TV Live box vs Patriot Box Office?

I know Google etc, but interested in any first hand experiences...
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Demonoid is definitely the best.... It has a fantastic filteration system for getting the quality and type of files that you want. I thought about Xspeeds but reckon I dont need it when compared to Demonoid. It has a private section for members I think.

I will admit I should be doing NZB's combined with RSS and TED... but cant be stuffed at present. "The Box: gets me 90 pct of my TV content in good time anyway. I'm on 3.5 to 1 on that site at present.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

YEY!

Am all sorted, thanks heaps DadAgain. I am connected to xspeeds.

Even thou True Blood is only 8% done, I'll leave it running. The utorrent is downloading as well as uploading, so I'll leave the settings as they are.

So what rate should the upload & download kB/S be approx??
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:16 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I urge anyone who likes watching downloads, and is not technology minded, to get a sub-$100 Western Digital TV Live media player - a simple, incredibly easy to use piece of technology. The latest version - $135 from Officeworks - has built-in media streaming and access to Youtube, Facebook etc.

I have yet to come across a media file that it cannot play.
Originally Posted by bingobob777
+1
+3

Well, 3 of the units in my house and I love em!

NEVER misses a beat, never had a jam up, never had audio/pic sync issues, and as said it's played everything thrown at it! ...

No volume is my only gripe, and if needed Popcorn Hour has it. A friend raves about his, but personally not tried.

I've had all 3 of my players streaming at the same time from my PC without a glitch too! ...
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
+3

Well, 3 of the units in my house and I love em!

NEVER misses a beat, never had a jam up, never had audio/pic sync issues, and as said it's played everything thrown at it! ...

No volume is my only gripe, and if needed Popcorn Hour has it. A friend raves about his, but personally not tried.

I've had all 3 of my players streaming at the same time from my PC without a glitch too! ...
Nothing beats a Acer Revo and XBMC combination.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bumble69
Slightly left field on the original topic but has anyone an opinion on WD TV Live box vs Patriot Box Office?

I know Google etc, but interested in any first hand experiences...
I've got a WD TV Live box, it plays everything and the quality is good.

But, I've tried various (compatible) wireless dongles and can't get a decent wireless link to the PC so it's USB Stick time.

It also wiped out (corrupted) a hard drive when I plugged it in, given that it was also a Western Digital model (Passport) I would have expected no issues.

Having said that I don't regret buying it and use it all the time

Our ubertechie Mod, Bob, over in the Lab/US forum also has one and likes it.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 8:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nothing beats a Acer Revo and XBMC combination.
Tried XBMC with ATV2 (thread about it on here funny enough) and naaah, will pass thanks.

I've tried 2 of my WDLive players with 1080 at the same time, faultless, but not 3 at once. Saying that we've done 2 x 1080 and 1 x 720. i'm sure it'll do 3 x 1080.

From memory my ATV2 / XBMC combo looked nice, but performed shite! ... big time! Couldn't do 1080 and heaps of stuttering etc.

I just wanna access folders on my PC from my TV's, and the WDLive does it better than anything else I've tried.

TBH NOTHING will do it better, as it's faultless! ...

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've tried various (compatible) wireless dongles and can't get a decent wireless link to the PC so it's USB Stick time.
Then go 'wired' !!

Give us the nod and i'll pop down and run you a new data point from A - B if you want?
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 9:01 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
YEY!

Am all sorted, thanks heaps DadAgain. I am connected to xspeeds.

Even thou True Blood is only 8% done, I'll leave it running. The utorrent is downloading as well as uploading, so I'll leave the settings as they are.

So what rate should the upload & download kB/S be approx??
I have to say, for an entire series, I'd be getting the DVDs/Blu Rays. Even ordering from overseas, it would be cheaper/faster (hell, get series 1-3). Torrents are for things that got shown last night in the UK and you aren't prepared to wait for Aus TV to sort itself out on (eg Top Gear, Sherlock). Its time shifting, just forward in time.

www.torrentz.eu is another torrent agitator site.

Personally I tend not to muck about with invite sites that determine your ratio, and limit the upload to 14kB/s, looking for 60+ kB/s on the download on this crumby ADSL1 connection. Check if you have an off-peak allowance, and make sure you use that.

It would be nice to think that eventually with with the NBN and media companies that had a clue, we'd be able to get hold of what we wanted, when we wanted, at an acceptable price. However with the criminal conspiracy of ACTA currently being perpetrated, its likely that someone is going to have to get strung up from a lamppost by their ******** before sanity prevails.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 9:49 am
Account Closed

Here's what we all need!

1Gb in 6 seconds ...

Cost for such a service??? ... $15US pm
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Here's what we all need!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...66696932_n.jpg

1Gb in 6 seconds ...

Cost for such a service??? ... $15US pm
Takes the piss that. Im running 11mb at the moment for £16 a month..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.