Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

ovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really nice
Default Re: How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
So all of those are available on a Samsung Smart TV in Australia, is that the correct understanding ?
The answer is a bit more complicated. Yes and No.

No, if you buy a Samsung TV in Australia, out of the box you will only have access to the Australian app store.

Yes, it is available on an Australian Samsung TV if you change the app store to the UK. Then you can install the UK apps for free.
(It is a bit complicated which models work with all the apps, so you may want to check with other expats in Oz who have done this, but generally the higher end models from the ES series have a better chance at working)

The catch is that you still need something called a Smart DNS service. There are plenty around and it's easy to install. Not every company will work with these apps though, but the one I use, Overplay, does. This isn't free and they charge around AU$4,80 per month.

Actually, if you go back to that link above, there are "How-to" guides that explain it in more detail, as there are some catches.

Can one tweak the Samsung Smart Hub to work on a computer ?..... Or any of those media boxes from a Boxee through to a PS3/Xbox Apple TV WDHDLive etc ?
Again, yes and no.

No, you can't use the Samsung hub on a computer. However, you don't really need to as many of those devices have access to the UK catch-up services as well. You will still need that Smart DNS service though, as that is used to unblock the region restriction.

But on the blog I linked above, there are reviews on all the UK services. The reviews focus on computers (the official catch-up web pages from the various UK networks), iOS devices, as each service usually has a really good iOS app, AirPlay to Apple TV as that is also a great way to get this stuff to your main TV and the Samsung Smart TV platform - because that is the only one where you can change your country app store, and which has all the UK services.

As the Smart DNS service I use is Overplay, all the reviews work on that service through those devices. I can't check with other DNS providers as that would take just too much time and I would have to pay them all

Will it work via my Galaxy Note ? Which I can obviously connect to my home network somehow.
I believe so. I am not an Android expert in these matters yet, but I do believe that most of the UK services do have Android apps. It is a lot harder to get them installed in Australia than an iOS device. I would ask other people who have succeeded here.

I haven't been keeping up with this smart tv stuff, and that news has really surprised me.
It really is quite amazing what you can do these days, but you generally need a Smart DNS or VPN service to unblock the region restrictions.
Keep an eye out on my blog as shown in my post above as this is exactly what my blog is about, helping people get access to television from back home.

The absolutely cheapest way to get started is to try it on a computer. Get yourself a SmartDNS service, configure it on your PC or laptop, and then just visit the UK sites (again, links on my blog for all the UK sites) and they should all work for you... along with sites from the US, Ireland, Canada, France, bla bla etc...

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here or on my blog (I tend to be on my blog more often though)

I'm an ex Sydneysider living now in Germany, so as well as using all these ideas to get UK television, I can also watch Australian TV from back home.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ovbg
The answer is a bit more complicated. Yes and No.

No, if you buy a Samsung TV in Australia, out of the box you will only have access to the Australian app store.

Yes, it is available on an Australian Samsung TV if you change the app store to the UK. Then you can install the UK apps for free.
(It is a bit complicated which models work with all the apps, so you may want to check with other expats in Oz who have done this, but generally the higher end models from the ES series have a better chance at working)

The catch is that you still need something called a Smart DNS service. There are plenty around and it's easy to install. Not every company will work with these apps though, but the one I use, Overplay, does. This isn't free and they charge around AU$4,80 per month.

Actually, if you go back to that link above, there are "How-to" guides that explain it in more detail, as there are some catches.

Again, yes and no.

No, you can't use the Samsung hub on a computer. However, you don't really need to as many of those devices have access to the UK catch-up services as well. You will still need that Smart DNS service though, as that is used to unblock the region restriction.

But on the blog I linked above, there are reviews on all the UK services. The reviews focus on computers (the official catch-up web pages from the various UK networks), iOS devices, as each service usually has a really good iOS app, AirPlay to Apple TV as that is also a great way to get this stuff to your main TV and the Samsung Smart TV platform - because that is the only one where you can change your country app store, and which has all the UK services.

As the Smart DNS service I use is Overplay, all the reviews work on that service through those devices. I can't check with other DNS providers as that would take just too much time and I would have to pay them all

I believe so. I am not an Android expert in these matters yet, but I do believe that most of the UK services do have Android apps. It is a lot harder to get them installed in Australia than an iOS device. I would ask other people who have succeeded here.

It really is quite amazing what you can do these days, but you generally need a Smart DNS or VPN service to unblock the region restrictions.
Keep an eye out on my blog as shown in my post above as this is exactly what my blog is about, helping people get access to television from back home.

The absolutely cheapest way to get started is to try it on a computer. Get yourself a SmartDNS service, configure it on your PC or laptop, and then just visit the UK sites (again, links on my blog for all the UK sites) and they should all work for you... along with sites from the US, Ireland, Canada, France, bla bla etc...

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here or on my blog (I tend to be on my blog more often though)

I'm an ex Sydneysider living now in Germany, so as well as using all these ideas to get UK television, I can also watch Australian TV from back home.
I've been using Witopia a VPN provider to get catch up TV around the world. Connected to a Acer Revo on my HT..... Although I've had a lot of trouble connecting to 4OD... It's like they know the Local VPN IP addresses before the other TV companies. I thought for a moment there that Samsung had bought World Wide rights.

Personally I dont think we're that far away from a a la carte service, where if your prepared to pay a SAT TV like provider fee then you'll be able to get TV from anywhere you want. I'm now of the opinion I'd rather pay, than spend hours setting the stuff up, where it only works for a certain period of time. .... Spotify was a revelation to me, and since signing up for their service, I'm now looking forwards to a NetFlix or Hulu type TV and Film worldwide subscription service in Aus.

In the meantime I'll have a look at that Smart DNS combine it possibly with the Samsung Software and see if I can get it working on my Acer Revo.

It's only been 9 months since I last looked at this stuff in depth.... things are really moving along, because a lot of this is news to me.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 22nd 2013 at 3:16 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just use Hola? Easy and free with Google Chrome.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

ovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really niceovbg is just really nice

Try setting that up on a Smart TV app or iOS. Hola is fine when watching TV on a computer though.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ovbg
Try setting that up on a Smart TV app or iOS. Hola is fine when watching TV on a computer though.
Except you cannot get channel 4 via Hola, some might not think that is a problem, but they have a few good shows.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Why not just use Hola? Easy and free with Google Chrome.
Good call, works for me too.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Channel 4 is the one I have the most trouble with. Thats why I came to life when I saw OVBG's post.

Witopia was working beautifuly last time I used it and was having plenty of fun with the Hulu desktop on my Revo, especially with unsuspecting visitors on my HT.

Holidays now, Hence some spare time.... I may give Hola a crack.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Expat Shield works fine in Oz. I've just been down there and used it, BBC iPlayer no probs. and is free!
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Channel 4 is the one I have the most trouble with. Thats why I came to life when I saw OVBG's post.

Witopia was working beautifuly last time I used it and was having plenty of fun with the Hulu desktop on my Revo, especially with unsuspecting visitors on my HT.

Holidays now, Hence some spare time.... I may give Hola a crack.
Channel 4, Channel 5 & BBC progs. are no problem. Just download FilmOn SD (which is free), register, and you can record those programs to watch when you want to, with 10 hours of free recording space available at all times!
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Saxy
Channel 4, Channel 5 & BBC progs. are no problem. Just download FilmOn SD (which is free), register, and you can record those programs to watch when you want to, with 10 hours of free recording space available at all times!
Filmon was one of my first dalliances with Oseas TV a few years back, Didn't think much of it then. Must have improved, so will give it another go during my holiday break.

Thanks for the tip
Old Mar 24th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Filmon was one of my first dalliances with Oseas TV a few years back, Didn't think much of it then. Must have improved, so will give it another go during my holiday break.

Thanks for the tip
It's the ability to record that does it for me. Especially with the Oz/UK time difference.
Unfortunately a new ruling from the European Court of Justice (requested by ITV, Channel 4 & Channel 5), prevents the retransmitting of programs (Something to do with copyright), so there are only a few main UK channels being shown at the moment!!
Old Mar 25th 2013, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Hola is awesome, doesnt need a VPN, plays direct through your browser. US Netflix can be used from there too.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hola is awesome, doesnt need a VPN, plays direct through your browser. US Netflix can be used from there too.
Hola is good, but it doesn't have the FilmOn ability to record programs! and with the time difference, that is a big Plus!

Use both
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

with filmon does anyone know if you can record the soccer on there if you subscribe to the highest package

it says you can watch the premiership amongst other footy but when i asked the question if you could record it the person at customer services said he was unsure ( which points to me that you cant )
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
with filmon does anyone know if you can record the soccer on there if you subscribe to the highest package

it says you can watch the premiership amongst other footy but when i asked the question if you could record it the person at customer services said he was unsure ( which points to me that you cant )
You could have tried it to find out yourself (It would have been easier!).
Yes, you can record it on SD, but why would you want to? As far as I can see, it's all old games!!!

Last edited by Saxy; Mar 25th 2013 at 8:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.