Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Smile How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

I know you have to download something, not sure the best thing to download.

I have had a look at BBC iPlayer but it only works in the UK.

I am in Queensland if that makes any difference.

Any ideas?? Thanks in advance guys.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can you watch UK TV on your computer for Free in Australia?

Expat Shield. It's free
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

I pay 4.99 (CAD) a month for use of UnblockUS DNS solution. It doesnt lag like a VPN, and it allows me to get iPlayer on the PS3 and, more importantly, it allowed me to subscribe to US based Netflix on the 360/PS3/AppleTV and watch shit loads.

I tried expatshield but found that everything just slowed down.
unblockUS streams netflix content at HD after a few minutes (720p i presume)
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:28 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I just download the individual programmes I want to want via torrent using piratenet or similar.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
I pay 4.99 (CAD) a month for use of UnblockUS DNS solution. It doesnt lag like a VPN, and it allows me to get iPlayer on the PS3 and, more importantly, it allowed me to subscribe to US based Netflix on the 360/PS3/AppleTV and watch shit loads.

I tried expatshield but found that everything just slowed down.
unblockUS streams netflix content at HD after a few minutes (720p i presume)
Sounds good IE.

Expatshield is shite.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mika24me
I just download the individual programmes I want to want via torrent using piratenet or similar.
That's the way to do it. Watched the new Top Gear on Monday night.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

So if you download piratenet, can you just go onto BBC iPlayer and download programmes?

So I guess once you have piratenet you can go to ....where.?? to download programmes from the other channels eg ITV & Channel 4?

You say piratenet or similar...what are the other good ones (torrents)?

Can you also download movies/TV series, I am after True Blood - Season 2...is there a good place to head for that one.

Thanks guys
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:32 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
So if you download piratenet, can you just go onto BBC iPlayer and download programmes?

So I guess once you have piratenet you can go to ....where.?? to download programmes from the other channels eg ITV & Channel 4?

Can you also download movies/TV series, I am after True Blood - Season 2...is there a good place to head for that one.

Thanks guys
no you have to download a torrent player like utorrent
then you can go into piratenet and search for the programme you want, which will download into utorrent and from there you can watch it.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob

Thanks guys
Don't bother with Torrents, load of garbage.

http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide

Astraweb
Grabit
NZBMatrix
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

no you have to download a torrent player like utorrent
then you can go into piratenet and search for the programme you want, which will download into utorrent and from there you can watch it.
To just explain it a bit more, a torrent is a little file that tells a 'torrent client' where to find the reference to what bits and what users are providing bits of the file you are after. Once the client gets this file it can find those other machines and download bits from them. It also makes the bits its downloaded available to others (peer to peer file sharing). Various sites make those torrents available, and there are various clients available as well.

Although media types love to dump on torrent, it's used for sharing all sorts of file efficiently, linux distros etc. However, given there is no central spot, your typical media mafia REALLY dislike it, since until they creatively reinterpreted the law, those providing links to where to get the torrents weren't doing anything illegal. However, now money talks....

It does mean that you can have fun and games with ISPs slowing down, blocking, etc. torrent files.

As such, its a asynchronous mechanism for getting hold of files, downloading slowly higher quality TV files. Synchronous type alternatives (eg watching iPlayer via VPNs) have bandwidth/latency issues, usually meaning lower quality viewing experience.

One day these silly country lockdowns will be history....
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:00 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarryP
...As such, its a asynchronous mechanism for getting hold of files, downloading slowly higher quality TV files. Synchronous type alternatives (eg watching iPlayer via VPNs) have bandwidth/latency issues, usually meaning lower quality viewing experience...
Agreed - I've never had a satisfying streamed video experience, the quality is always poor and the experience laggy and needing lots of buffering.

Torrents on the other hand offer me very a high quality (much higher than Austalian broadcast quality) product and usually I find a 1 hour 1Gb 720p 5.1DD show can be downloaded in about 20-25 minutes - or an entire series overnight!...

(This week I shall be watching "Sons of Anarchy Season 3" after finishing the first 2 seasons in the last 2 weeks)
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

I urge anyone who likes watching downloads, and is not technology minded, to get a sub-$100 Western Digital TV Live media player - a simple, incredibly easy to use piece of technology. The latest version - $135 from Officeworks - has built-in media streaming and access to Youtube, Facebook etc.

I have yet to come across a media file that it cannot play.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Agreed - I've never had a satisfying streamed video experience, the quality is always poor and the experience laggy and needing lots of buffering.

Torrents on the other hand offer me very a high quality (much higher than Austalian broadcast quality) product and usually I find a 1 hour 1Gb 720p 5.1DD show can be downloaded in about 20-25 minutes - or an entire series overnight!...

(This week I shall be watching "Sons of Anarchy Season 3" after finishing the first 2 seasons in the last 2 weeks)
Thanks everyone for your comments.

DadAgain, you sound like your system is working out OK, what torrent do you use? And where do you look for your TV?

I will also have a look at Astraweb / Grabit / NZBMatrix

Has anyone got the link / exact web address for piratenet?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I urge anyone who likes watching downloads, and is not technology minded, to get a sub-$100 Western Digital TV Live media player - a simple, incredibly easy to use piece of technology. The latest version - $135 from Officeworks - has built-in media streaming and access to Youtube, Facebook etc.

I have yet to come across a media file that it cannot play.
+1
Old Feb 1st 2012, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Me again, looking to hear from anyone who has successfully managed this, what torrent they are using and where to find the TV

Will defo have to research the 'Western Digital TV Live media player'!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.