Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can I teach in Australia with a 3year Bachelor degree and QTS?

How can I teach in Australia with a 3year Bachelor degree and QTS?

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

rebeccajs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can I teach in Australia with a 3year Bachelor degree and QTS?

Hi,

I am looking to emigrate to Australia (Queensland, Brisbane) to teach there upon graduation. I am currently in my last year of BA (Hons) Early Years Primary Education (ITE) and will receive QTS (qualified teacher status) upon graduation.

However, apparently you can only teach in Aus after completing a 4 year degree. Even a PGCE is recognised over the full 3 year education training.

I am just wondering (hoping!) that there has been someone in the same boat and has had a success! ...

I have been doing my research and apparently if you can prove the 3 year degree is of equivalent value to a 4 year one , they will consider your registration as a teacher... anyone have any info on this? or any success?

if not .. Is there a course I can do in Aus as a 'top up' etc to qualify for a teacher registration ?

I am so desperate to follow my dream!

Thank you in advance xx
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I teach in Australia with a 3year Bachelor degree and QTS?

Nope, you can't. In Australia 4 years means 4 years not 3 for some and 4 for others.

As most of the teaching population has already upgraded I shouldn't think there are too many top up programs left but you'd need to do that as an International student (I assume) which is expensive and there is no guarantee of PR at the end of it.

You could do a Masters in Education, that might do it. Specialize in something like special ed to maximise your chances of being different in case you do ever get a visa.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 8:29 am
Just Joined

rebeccajs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply

I will look into studying one year as an international student to maximise my chances.

Frustrating!
Old Mar 4th 2015, 9:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajs
Thank you for your reply

I will look into studying one year as an international student to maximise my chances.

Frustrating!
You won't want to hear this but I'll mention it anyway. There are shedloads of local Primary Ed Graduates leaving Uni looking for work and not finding any. They are expected to go 'woop woop' for a few years (ie teach in small outback towns) before coming back to the coast and finding work. At least half of the students my eldest was at uni with, have NOT found teaching work regardless of being prepared to work anywhere.

I'm not up to date with the skills lists these days so don't know if Primary Ed are on the lists (or more to the point will be in a year or so when you'll be ready to apply) but even if they are, if local grads can't find work, not sure you will.

Good luck though, you could be lucky so if it's what you really want, the extra schooling won't hurt.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajs
Thank you for your reply

Frustrating!
Studying as an international student won't maximise your chances - much cheaper and easier to do it in UK? I wouldn't be surprised if primary teacher comes off the list, far too many young Aussie teachers out of work. If you're that desperate, perhaps retrain in something completely different (nursing likely to be on the list for a while I should think). But unless you're made of money the international student route is just going to be a very expensive short term adventure - it doesn't confer any bonuses for getting PR.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 4:36 am
Just Joined

headspin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm in Sydney and have a BA (hons), PGCE and a Master's Degree and min 6 years experience teaching in the UK. I've been here for nearly three years and haven't found work.

Part of the visa restrictions for non-permanent residents and citizens is that you are ONLY allowed to work temporarily in schools. When I got approval from the Board of Studies I was given info sheets about next-in-line waiting lists. In the public system, you have to do your 'time' before getting a job - weirdly it's not who is the most qualified/best fit, but who has waited the longest. If you manage to get temporary work, and later get PR, you can offset any of that time to put you marginally further ahead in the queue (so you're not starting at the back with the new grads).

I believe there are teacher exchange programs - perhaps it might be worth investigating?