Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How can I get a TFN - outside Australia

How can I get a TFN - outside Australia

Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

HOWMUCHLONGER will become famous soon enoughHOWMUCHLONGER will become famous soon enough
Default How can I get a TFN - outside Australia

Quick question for you - I just tried to get a Tax Number on the official website - but it told me that I can't apply until I am in the country - is that correct??? I thought somebody told me that they got one before they've entered Australia....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:38 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I get a TFN - outside Australia

This here http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...pplication.pdf says that you can apply outside if you are a non-resident for tax purposes AND meet another criterion which requires you to have a TFN. Permanent Residents, WHV holders or business visa holders (persons authorized to work in other words) or should apply only once landed in Oz according to this paper.

HTH

NJ
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HOWMUCHLONGER
Quick question for you - I just tried to get a Tax Number on the official website - but it told me that I can't apply until I am in the country - is that correct??? I thought somebody told me that they got one before they've entered Australia....
You generally can't register until after you have validated your visa.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

HOWMUCHLONGER will become famous soon enoughHOWMUCHLONGER will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by newjersey
This here http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...pplication.pdf says that you can apply outside if you are a non-resident for tax purposes AND meet another criterion which requires you to have a TFN. Permanent Residents, WHV holders or business visa holders (persons authorized to work in other words) or should apply only once landed in Oz according to this paper.

HTH

NJ
Thanks for that - I just thought it would take a while to get the number so I wanted to do it now....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:11 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

no you cant but as soon as you arrive you can apply online just done this tonight and it takes up to 28 days to arrive x