Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is housing in Sydney really that expensive

Is housing in Sydney really that expensive

Old Jul 11th 2002, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Rona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is housing in Sydney really that expensive

I have been looking at housing prices on the internet, the average price seems to be between 500-600. For a 4 bedroom house with a pool. Am I looking at the wrong sites? Going to work in Sydney, but don't mind travelling, already travel one hour to work as is. What area's would people recommend? Is it possible to get a pre-approval mortgage before you arrive in the country. Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2002, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Is housing in Sydney really that expensive

Hi Rona

I'm afraid the prices you're quoting sound about right for Sydney. I'm not saying you can't get cheaper than that, but that's around the average for a lot of the suburbs that immediately surround the CBD. The north shore is beautiful but very pricey, when we were visiting last year we looked at house prices in Manly/Neutral Bay (because that's where I grew up) and we just would not be able to afford anywhere there at all. There are some beautiful places further north than that and I think the prices are better but you would be in for a commute....but of course, you don't mind, so head up towards Palm Beach or south of the city and I'm sure you'll find somewhere a bit more affordable

lots of luck with the house hunting, let us know where you end up and more importantly, how much it cost!! )

love sophia xx
Old Jul 11th 2002, 9:20 pm
Robert Edwards

Well it is expensive in Sydney from our point of view however if you do not mind
travelling then you may wish to consider the Central Coast (immediately north of
Sydney) about an hours travel express train and considerably cheaper. If you think
that is too far by distance and maybe able to afford the type of house you seek say
out West you are still going to be an hours travel away (during work hours) if you
are working in the city.

Rob Edwards www.australianaustralia.com

"Rona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Old Jul 11th 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

You'll find Palm Beach pretty expensive too!

Jeremy

>On 11 Jul 2002 16:01:57 GMT, sophia <[email protected]> wrote: Hi Rona
    >
    >I'm afraid the prices you're quoting sound about right for Sydney. I'm not saying
    >you can't get cheaper than that, but that's around the average for a lot of the
    >suburbs that immediately surround the CBD. The north shore is beautiful but very
    >pricey, when we were visiting last year we looked at house prices in Manly/Neutral
    >Bay (because that's where I grew up) and we just would not be able to afford
    >anywhere there at all. There are some beautiful places further north than that and I
    >think the prices are better but you would be in for a commute....but of course, you
    >don't mind, so head up towards Palm Beach or south of the city and I'm sure you'll
    >find somewhere a bit more affordable
    >
    >lots of luck with the house hunting, let us know where you end up and more
    >importantly, how much it cost!! )
    >
    >love sophia xx
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Jul 12th 2002, 4:14 am
Axel Van Kampen

Sydney is so much more than just the North Shore! I used to live there too at one
stage but I have now bought a large 4 bedroom house in Liverpool ( the fastest
growing area in the state) with all the niceties in a new suburb with all the
shopping nearby.

And I paid "only" AU$340,000.00!!!!!!!!!!

Others here will tell you that "only the North Shore is good enough" and if beaches
are important to you, sure enough. Otherwise you get much better value elsewhere.

"Rona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I have been looking at housing prices on the internet, the average price seems to
    > be between 500-600. For a 4 bedroom house with a pool. Am I looking at the wrong
    > sites? Going to work in Sydney, but don't mind travelling, already travel one hour
    > to work as is. What area's would people recommend? Is it possible to get a
    > pre-approval mortgage before you arrive in the country. Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 13th 2002, 7:20 am
Graham Day

And the Crime!!

"Axel Van Kampen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Sydney is so much more than just the North Shore! I used to live there too at one
    > stage but I have now bought a large 4 bedroom house in Liverpool ( the fastest
    > growing area in the state) with all the niceties in a new
suburb
    > with all the shopping nearby.
    >
    > And I paid "only" AU$340,000.00!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Others here will tell you that "only the North Shore is good enough" and
if
    > beaches are important to you, sure enough. Otherwise you get much better value
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > "Rona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have been looking at housing prices on the internet, the average price seems to
    > > be between 500-600. For a 4 bedroom house with a pool. Am I looking at the wrong
    > > sites? Going to work in Sydney, but don't mind travelling, already travel one
    > > hour to work as is. What area's would people recommend? Is it possible to get a
    > > pre-approval mortgage before you arrive in the country. Thanks
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 16th 2002, 10:20 am
Axel Van Kampen

Another misinformed soul who thinks that there is plenty of crime in all areas except
for the north shore.............

"Graham Day" <[email protected]@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > And the Crime!!
    >
    >
    > "Axel Van Kampen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sydney is so much more than just the North Shore! I used to live there
too
    > > at one stage but I have now bought a large 4 bedroom house in Liverpool
(
    > > the fastest growing area in the state) with all the niceties in a new
    > suburb
    > > with all the shopping nearby.
    > >
    > > And I paid "only" AU$340,000.00!!!!!!!!!!
    > >
    > > Others here will tell you that "only the North Shore is good enough" and
    > if
    > > beaches are important to you, sure enough. Otherwise you get much better value
    > > elsewhere.
    > >
    > > "Rona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I have been looking at housing prices on the internet, the average
price
    > > > seems to be between 500-600. For a 4 bedroom house with a pool. Am I looking at
    > > > the wrong sites? Going to work in Sydney, but don't mind travelling, already
    > > > travel one hour to work as is. What area's would people recommend? Is it
    > > > possible to get a pre-approval mortgage before you arrive in the country.
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >
    >