Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Central Banks Should move Early on Bubbles.

Today's news, 9th February.

Told ya, everyone's talking 'bout the Aussie Housing Bubble, can hide from it or deny it - it's happening and it's worrying the RBA.

Central banks should move early on bubbles: RBA February 9, 2010 - 4:34PM

Central banks may need to become more pro-active in dealing with dangerous asset bubbles before they become destabilising to the financial system, the Reserve Bank said today.

In a paper co-authored by RBA Governor Glenn Stevens, the central bank argued that keeping official interest rates too low for too long could inadvertently fuel imbalances that would lead to asset price bubbles.

At a conference to mark the Reserve Bank's 50th anniversary attended by central bankers from around the world, Mr Stevens said central banks had to be wary of waiting too long during a boom cycle to curb imbalances.

"It also amounts to an argument to avoid having the boom get to that point and to err on the side, much earlier in the process, of not keeping interest rates unusually low," Mr Stevens told the closed-door conference in his speech, a copy of which was released to the media.

The problem was not solely asset prices, but the imbalances reflected in a combination of rapidly rising asset prices and credit and falling lending standards, he argued.

"It is unlikely to be credible for central banks not to move, in the next decade, at least somewhat in the 'responsive' direction," Stevens said.

He was addressing a meeting attended by top officials from the European Central Bank, the U.S. Federal Reserve, the Bank of Japan and other Asian central banks.

First mover

Australia was the first among industrialised nations last year to begin lifting interest rates from emergency lows, in part wary of fuelling another housing bubble.

The RBA has long challenged the prevailing view among central banks that they should not target asset prices and rather mop up the damage from bubbles afterward.

In 2002 and 2003, it nudged up interest rates and was effective in talking down a frothy housing market.

The US Federal Reserve's policy of keeping official rates low after the last downturn has been widely blamed for fuelling the US housing debacle that led to the global financial crisis.
http://www.theage.com.au/business/ce...0209-np7e.html
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Owned by CBA but not under a Bank guarantee - it does make a difference and by the way it was frozen over a year ago
So how comes it hasn't been 'un-frozen', how comes investors still can't access their money, even now? Why should every bloody investment have to have a Govt guarantee anyway - I'll tell you why, because the banks are taking risks with our/your money, if they fail, who cares, the taxpayer bails them out and if the risk pays off then the Banks give themselves all jolly big bonuses. It's a joke system, happening around the world, even Australia.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Central Banks Should move Early on Bubbles.

Today's news, 9th February.

Told ya, everyone's talking 'bout the Aussie Housing Bubble, can hide from it or deny it - it's happening and it's worrying the RBA.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/ce...0209-np7e.html
Emphasis on these bits ?
  1. He was addressing a meeting attended by top officials from the European Central Bank, the U.S. Federal Reserve, the Bank of Japan and other Asian central banks.

2. Australia was the first among industrialised nations last year to begin lifting interest rates from emergency lows, in part wary of fuelling another housing bubble.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:59 am
ABCDiamond

So how comes it hasn't been 'un-frozen',.
Colonial reopened the fund to withdrawals about a month ago [November 25, 2009] after a year-long freeze that was aimed at protecting the fund as jittery investors poured savings into safer bank deposits.

Jittery Investors removing their money (to switch into guaranteed funds) or banks taking risks with the money ?

Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Colonial reopened the fund to withdrawals about a month ago [November 25, 2009] after a year-long freeze that was aimed at protecting the fund as jittery investors poured savings into safer bank deposits.

Jittery Investors removing their money (to switch into guaranteed funds) or banks taking risks with the money ?
Investors could withdraw - but not the whole lot at once, only small amounts at a time.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

So how comes it hasn't been 'un-frozen', how comes investors still can't access their money, even now? Why should every bloody investment have to have a Govt guarantee anyway - I'll tell you why, because the banks are taking risks with our/your money, if they fail, who cares, the taxpayer bails them out and if the risk pays off then the Banks give themselves all jolly big bonuses. It's a joke system, happening around the world, even Australia.
If you invest with CFM to get a higher return- you are taking the risk
As I have stated CFM is not a Bank and has no fund guarantee
To invest in a mortgage fund you have to buy units its not the same as a term deposit
If you put it with a Bank they guarantee the funds and take all the risk
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Emphasis on these bits ?
  1. He was addressing a meeting attended by top officials from the European Central Bank, the U.S. Federal Reserve, the Bank of Japan and other Asian central banks.

2. Australia was the first among industrialised nations last year to begin lifting interest rates from emergency lows, in part wary of fuelling another housing bubble.
1) Australia relies on 50-70% of it funding from overseas. It's a message to the countries that lend us money that the RBA is keeping a lid on bubbles and is/are aware of them.

Oversea funders are worried that they are lending Aus money to sustain a housing bubble. Aus Bank lending for business is waaaay down (the kind of lending that creates jobs, growth and real wealth) but house lending is on the up, up, up and this does nothing for a susutainable economy in the long run. Our oversea funders are getting wary.

2) Rates are up .75% from the lows and yes, I believe the RBA is squashing the housing bubble but at the same time is jepordising business lending. It's a difficult balancing trick. Another way the RBA can squash house prices is to pull back on money supply, which it appears they are already doing.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:50 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Could you do the same comparison for the other countries so we can compare like with like...

The normal calculation is done on Gross incomes, but of course doing it on a net income does make it look much worse than everywhere else....

Check out this: http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/insolve...cialStress.pdf

Where do you get your median mortgage of $510,000 from ?

These are figures that I have seen being quoted.

And the ABS quotes the median established house prices as $447,000
I could do but don't see the point. It's an Australian board and as the majority of posters live here, they are interested in what affects them here not others in the UK or Canada. I only did this calculation to make it more real. I know it is done on gross wages worldwide but don't see the point in that. I'm not trying to make it look worse.

I actually made a mistake. I was quoting median house prices in Sydney. Should have been $610,000. Difficult to keep up!

In that case, the repayments would be $4219 a month. Therefore, the repayments would be 50% of household income.

I can understand that the CURRENT median mortgage is @ $400,000. Being realistic, FTB looking to purchase at the moment will need to max out just to get somewhere liveable and it is for this reason that I have used the median house price as a mortgage value. When banks are willing to lend 6-8 times wages, this is easily achievable for people on these wages as you have shown previously.

I have read the article which was written in 2004 and I can see exactly the same happening here. We all know what happened to house prices in the UK.

Last edited by swigski; Feb 9th 2010 at 9:54 am. Reason: a
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:56 am
ABCDiamond

but house lending is on the up, up, up and this does nothing for a susutainable economy in the long run.
'Demand for home Loans Dive in January'

Demand for home loans dived in January after three official interest rate increases and the removal of the federal government's generous first homeowners' grant, a mortgage broker says.

Loan Market Group says its home loan approvals have dropped by 40 per cent from a peak in 2009, after the company recorded its quietest month since 2006 in January.
Mixed messages for economy as consumer confidence rises and house lending declines..

The latest housing finance figures revealed the number of people seeking new mortgages collapsed under the weight of three consecutive interest rate rises and the end of the government's first-home buyer stimulus program.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:02 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski
Lets see what affect using NET income has and the actual Sydney median price?

Using the same figures as ABC.

Combined NET income = $101,400

57.4% of that = $4850 per month in repayments
That would cover a mortgage of about $700,000

However a mortgage for the median SYDNEY house would be about $510,000 with repayments of about $3530 per month, or 41.7% of the income.

A median house with two people earning median wages with repayments at 41.7% of NET income Considering the figure where mortgage repayments are considered at stress levels is 30%
Does this look like an affordable option for housing affordability?
-

Last edited by asprilla; Feb 9th 2010 at 10:09 am. Reason: removed my rubbish comment.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:05 am
ABCDiamond

I could do but don't see the point. It's an Australian board and as the majority of posters live here, they are interested in what affects them here not others in the UK or Canada.
But you saw the point to convert it from the worldwide standard comparison of Gross income, to get to a more fanciful figure of Net income.

I got the feeling that this board was pretty well aimed at the UK market for people moving here, so they would be used to seeing the figures based in gross income, but your higher figure from net incomes would give them a false impression.

You saw the point to do that.... hmmm..

I actually made a mistake. I was quoting median house prices in Sydney. Should have been $610,000. Difficult to keep up!
And where did you get that $610,000 price from ?
The Australian Bureau of Statistics quotes
Median Price of Established House Transfers ; Sydney ;
Mar-2009 $447,000

Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:19 am
Just Joined

bybyQLD is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure the bubble burst 2 years ago and everyone is waiting for it to boom again
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:20 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Having seen Sydney houses prices staying basically stable for so long, 2003-2010, I am not sure where a guaranteed continual increase in house prices comes from. In real terms they have dropped when wages are taken into account..
Over a prolonged period of time, house prices are guaranteed to increase - fact.

I think Sydney house prices might have picked up...

"Sydney house prices grew 5 per cent in the last quarter and 12.8 per cent over the year [2009]"

"...the strength of the jobs market and strong population growth would lead to annual house price growth of about eight to 10 per cent this year [2010]"

http://www.theage.com.au/article
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

jeppy is an unknown quantity at this point

In general threads saying that the house market in oz are put on by people who are renting and hoping it will!

On the other hand people who defend the argument are buying or have bought their houses the facts are a growing population and demand for more new homes to be built in every state .

The powers that be know long before we do that house prices would boom if not kept in check with higher interest rates if anyone is waiting for house prices to fall forget it they will only go up but very slowly for the next few years.
I am a bricklayer by trade and have had my money cut 2 or three times in the past few years and only recently 2 of the project builders i work for have put the money back up without me asking even , what does that tell you .

They also tell me they have signed up hundreds and hundreds of new clients to build for meaning busy times a head for 1 to 2 years at least.

Good luck to any one sitting on the fence waiting for prices to come down!, the time to buy is now builders will be rasing prices every 2 months just like the last boom they no longer need the work, i will not be wrong!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:31 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeppy
In general threads saying that the house market in oz [will crash] are put on by people who are renting and hoping it will!
Nail on the head! Look back at Pomster and Swigski's post history and the housing market + some big crash is the one and only topic on their agenda.

Perhaps they should get together for a coffee or something and discuss their pet subject to their heart's content ... and please spare us from the most inane and directionless thread on this forum.

Last edited by Kalenge; Feb 9th 2010 at 10:39 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.