Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by coolshadows
The actual number of houses being constructed has declined over the years...

Housing construction chart by state:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5uu7n.jpg
One observation though. In 2009, 120,000 units were built and from what I can remember 180,000 people migrated to Australia in 2009. Bear in mind most of these would of been families, couples and would need only one house, so I can't see the shortage?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:27 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pomtastic
One observation though. In 2009, 120,000 units were built and from what I can remember 180,000 people migrated to Australia in 2009. Bear in mind most of these would of been families, couples and would need only one house, so I can't see the shortage?
Don't forget all the little kiddies being born and those that are coming of age and wanting to buy their first house.

Also, was the 180k people or just the number of visas granted?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
No, the cost of the house in Perth in 1980 is $128,000 in today's money. At the time it was $40,000, or three times the average wage as supplied by you. So you make my point very well for me - houses, as we all know, used to cost about three times the average wage, but now cost seven, eight or even ten times that, old sport.
Ah, today's money, thanks for clearing that up.

Perhaps I should clear something up for you. You are reading things into my posts that simply aren't there. You are seeing what you want to see. Yes, I am claiming that not all property is overpriced....and that view is not inconsistent with yours. Why would I want to try and prove to you that property is as affordable today, as it was back in 1980, when I agree with you that it has become more unaffordable??! That is why I was bemused at your post on the 3 bed property in Perth and the odd price of $128k.

As with all things in life, the people who hold extreme views are normally those who do not have a comprehensive understanding of the issues. At one extreme are those real estate spruikers who predict continual exponential growth into infinity.... and at the other, are those who think that suddenly every man, woman and dog in Australia will be able to buy their own comfy 3 bed house. People who hold extreme views tend to see what they want to see. The truth nearly always lies somewhere in the middle, not out at the extremes.

If you have a look at some of my older posts you will see that I am not just making this all up for you on the spot.. I have said several times that I reckon property prices will go down 10 or 20%.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:30 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Quite, but as long as you people like asprilla I think this madness could just go on and on. He actually thought a house in Perth in 1980 cost $128,000 1980 dollars.
Just carry on reading what you want to read.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:31 am
ABCDiamond

How much is a reasonable amount of household income, to pay for a median mortgage.

That chart quotes "Sydney 57.4% share of median household income to pay mortgage on median property prices."

Average Sydney wages are:
Male $1,353.00 pw
Female $1,103.60 pw

Combined income = $127,743 per year

57.4% of that = $6,110 per month in repayments.
That would cover a mortgage of about $1,000,000

However a mortgage for the median priced house would be about $400,000 with repayments of about $2,620 per month, or 24.6% of the income.

Does that look like a reasonable option for housing affordability. A median house with two full time average incomes, with repayments at 24.6% of the income. ?

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, just because houses are statistically unaffordable doesn't guarantee that the housing bubble will burst.

The government could act and increase housing construction, whilst still supporting current home owners with fair interest rates.

A more moderate annual increase in house prices, even inline with inflation, can still be seen as a worthy investment.
The government banking guarantee is finishing March 31st. This means interest rates will go up regardless of what the RBA wants. Wholesale funding is going to get more expensive as Aussie banks have no Govt back up guarantee, therefore rate rises in the pipeline.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How much is a reasonable amount of household income, to pay for a median mortgage.

That chart quotes "Sydney 57.4% share of median household income to pay mortgage on median property prices."

Average Sydney wages are:
Male $1,353.00 pw
Female $1,103.60 pw

Combined income = $127,743 per year

57.4% of that = $6,110 per month in repayments.
That would cover a mortgage of about $1,000,000

However a mortgage for the median priced house would be about $400,000 with repayments of about $2,620 per month, or 24.6% of the income.

Does that look like a reasonable option for housing affordability. A median house with two full time average incomes, with repayments at 24.6% of the income. ?
Average wages, gross or net?

So are we suggesting that all home owners have to rely on two, full time incomes?

Do you have to have a partner, husband or wife in order to purchase an average home?

What if your single? A house in woop woop only?

Last edited by pomtastic; Feb 9th 2010 at 2:37 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:34 am
ABCDiamond

The house cost $40,000 in 1980 dollars. So the $376 is $20,000 per annum, making the wage 50% of the house price. Today, the wage annualised is $75,000 (who the hell earns that by the way??) which is about 20% of a three bedroom house in Perth.
I did wonder about the price but in the post I replied to, you did say....

Just roll onto realestate.com.au with $128,000 and see how many three bedroom houses in good areas of Perth you can find. This is what they cost in 1980 when property was affordable.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:36 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

So the average family in Sydney has 2 full time workers both earning average wages?

I would have thought there'd be a lot of families with 1 full time and 1 part time. Therefore the average household income would be a lot less.

Would you agree?

Last edited by coolshadows; Feb 9th 2010 at 2:42 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Average wages, gross or net?
All wages are always quoted gross, as peoples deductions etc can cause a difference in net wages, and the ABS does not get to see net figures for a long time.

It is the same as other countries.

The ATO quote final figures about 5 years after the end of each tax year

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:41 am
Account Open

Asprilla

To be fair, I have joined this debate late and not read all your posts. But my point to you is just that houses are now about three or four times more expensive, in terms of average house price/average wage ratio as they were a generation ago. Indeed as their long-term average over decades.

We are talking about crippling amounts of money being borrowed so young people can own a home. They are stopping buying, and I don't blame them. I will not buy a house until the average raio is back to 3.5. If everyone stuck to that rule prices would be 50% in a few weeks.

Put another way, if UK house prices continue to rise at the rate they did in January 2010, the average house in Britain in 100 years' time will cost about £250 billion. I think we can all see, a crash is necessary and imminent.
Ok, sorry mate. I'm probably getting a bit worked up now and sounding very ridiculous. Please ignore my last few posts.

Yes, I agree there are significant issues for first home buyers going forwards. They simply will not be able to own the homes they want, in the areas they want. However I am not sure that this position will ever be rectified. I do not see the logic in the argument that "the ratio has always been 3.5 so it must return to that". Why should this be the case? There are too many other important variables that have also changed in the same time period.

Of course you are right that exponential growth cannot carry on forever (unless perhaps you are living in zimbabwe). But I think that there is a fundamental flaw in the idea that growth must always revert to a linear profile.

Prices are simply a function of supply and demand. The world population has doubled in (I think) the past 40years. I hate to break this to everyone, but there will be no return to the good old days and the 3.5 ratio. The future will be smaller homes, units, duplexes, longer commutes. Look at the housing trends in the most populous cities in the world for a glimpse of the future.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:43 am
ABCDiamond

Some the average family in Sydney has 2 full time workers both earning average wages?

I would have thought there'd be a lot of families with 1 full time and 1 part time. Therefore the average household income would be a lot less.

Would you agree?
I agree completely, in just the same way that there are a lot of much higher paid people

If the family had only one full time at $1,353 per week, the % for the median house would be 44.6%, so assume half way between the two, and you get 34.6% for one full time and one half time.

One obvious problem is when people take on mortgages that they do not have the income for, and they get into trouble. However, the RBA released figures recently showing that arrears are very low and getting lower, so it can't be too bad.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:51 am
Pie Eater

However, the RBA released figures recently showing that arrears are very low and getting lower, so it can't be too bad.
"HIGHER interest rates and a rollback of financial stimulus measures have led to the first rise in home-loan arrears in eight months."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/article

http://www.brokernews.com.au/article

"Arrears are expected to surge in the coming months as the Reserve Bank continues to tighten rates, a new report has found."

http://www.mortgagebusiness.com.au/article

Last edited by coolshadows; Feb 9th 2010 at 2:56 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:54 am
Account Open

One obvious problem is when people take on mortgages that they do not have the income for, and they get into trouble. However, the RBA released figures recently showing that arrears are very low and getting lower, so it can't be too bad.
Some people don't factor in any margin for interest rate rises.... unfortunately they get into trouble easily. The majority are more conservative and factor in possible rate rises of 1% to 4%.

If variable rates go past 10% then we will be entering into a very different environment. Currency markets are only predicting an extra 1.25% on the base rate over the next 18 months.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:57 am
ABCDiamond

"HIGHER interest rates and a rollback of financial stimulus measures have led to the first rise in home-loan arrears in eight months."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/article

http://www.brokernews.com.au/article
That's a fair comment, with this quote from your links:

Figures released by Standard and Poor's Ratings Services found arrears rose to 1.27%, up from 1.25% a month earlier.

Low doc borrowers were the hardest hit - with 3.51% falling behind in payments, up slightly from 3.37%.
The interest rate rises and dropping of the stimulus have changed things.
Up 0.02% for normal loans
Up 0.14% for Low Doc Loans

However still very low in the scheme of things.
Up from 125 in every 10,000 to 127 in every 10,000.

How does this compare worldwide ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.