Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Hardly. You claim that not all property is overpriced, I suggest it probably is. To back this up I point out that property is now somewhere intheregion of 300% to 400% more expensive than it used to be, making it grossly unaffordable even at the lowest end of the market.

If you think property is affordable, as it was a generation ago, then I ask you to provide evidence of this by finding a nice three bedroom house in a good part of Perth for $128,000. That's about the size of my argument. I presume you couldn't find anything at that price range?

I believe that you have forgotten about that little thing called the time value of money, old sport. You might as well challenge me to find a loaf of bread in the shops for 5p.

Your earlier post says that in 1980, a nice 3 bedroom house in Perth, in a good area, would cost $128,000. Where did you get that number from ?

The average wage in Perth in March 1980, was $12,775 gross.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
If you overlayed that chart with average income growth, then you'll see how dislocated house prices have become to wages. It's unsustainable, something has to give.

More and more of people's incomes are now being spent on mortgages, this is BAD, not good. Less cash to spend on goods and services which means businesses will eventually go under. This is starting to happen.

Unfortunately, the Govt has a vested interest in keeping house prices high, people think they are 'richer' when their house goes up in value, they get bank loans against their ever increasing house prices to buy cars, new kitchens, holidays, etc which keeps the economy going - it's a classic ponzi scheme. Also, high house prices will enable the Baby Boomers to afford retirement - and we all know about the ageing population trouble ahead.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:48 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by asprilla
The demographia study is certainly interesting, but I would suggest that people are jumping to conclusions that they have made after a cursory skip through a feature in the courier mail, without reading the details and thinking it through first. Something that we have already seen in this thread, I might add.
As you have obviously read all the details and thought it through maybe you can easily prove that property is not overpriced as you said you would earlier?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that you have forgotten about that little thing called the time value of money, old sport. You might as well challenge me to find a loaf of bread in the shops for 5p.

Your earlier post says that in 1980, a nice 3 bedroom house in Perth, in a good area, would cost $128,000. Where did you get that number from ?

The average wage in Perth in March 1980, was $12,775 gross.
No, the cost of the house in Perth in 1980 is $128,000 in today's money. At the time it was $40,000, or three times the average wage as supplied by you. So you make my point very well for me - houses, as we all know, used to cost about three times the average wage, but now cost seven, eight or even ten times that, old sport.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
If you overlayed that chart with average income growth, then you'll see how dislocated house prices have become to wages. It's unsustainable, something has to give.

More and more of people's incomes are now being spent on mortgages, this is BAD, not good. Less cash to spend on goods and services which means businesses will eventually go under. This is starting to happen.

Unfortunately, the Govt has a vested interest in keeping house prices high, people think they are 'richer' when their house goes up in value, they get bank loans against their ever increasing house prices to buy cars, new kitchens, holidays, etc which keeps the economy going - it's a classic ponzi scheme. Also, high house prices will enable the Baby Boomers to afford retirement - and we all know about the ageing population trouble ahead.
Quite, but as long as you people like asprilla I think this madness could just go on and on. He actually thought a house in Perth in 1980 cost $128,000 1980 dollars.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:57 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski
As you have obviously read all the details and thought it through maybe you can easily prove that property is not overpriced as you said you would earlier?
Please re-read my post of 11:40am. Take a couple of minutes to think it through.

How can we have a decent, logical debate on these kind of issues, when it is obvious that most of the people on the "global house price crash" bandwagon don't even bother to read other people's posts, let alone full newspaper articles on the subject matter.... or even God forbid, ask some questions for themselves instead of lapping up what the media tells them and what they want to believe.

I am off to bang my head against a hard object.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Is there a housing bubble in Australia?

Absolutely.

Will it pop? Of course ALL bubbles eventually burst.

When will it happen? No one knows but I certainly wouldn't want to be a "greater fool" at the moment. Just glad I don't have to be.

I think we are about to hit the next leg down, another triple digit loss on the Dow last night.

GFC part 2 about to kick off.
<Gravelly Voice>GFC 2 - This Time It's Personal.</Gravelly Voice>

Carry on with the analysis chaps ...
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:03 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

The actual number of houses being constructed has declined over the years...

Housing construction chart by state:

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Please re-read my post of 11:40am. Take a couple of minutes to think it through.

How can we have a decent, logical debate on these kind of issues, when it is obvious that most of the people on the "global house price crash" bandwagon don't even bother to read other people's posts, let alone full newspaper articles on the subject matter.... or even God forbid, ask some questions for themselves instead of lapping up what the media tells them and what they want to believe.

I am off to bang my head against a hard object.
Asprilla

To be fair, I have joined this debate late and not read all your posts. But my point to you is just that houses are now about three or four times more expensive, in terms of average house price/average wage ratio as they were a generation ago. Indeed as their long-term average over decades.

We are talking about crippling amounts of money being borrowed so young people can own a home. They are stopping buying, and I don't blame them. I will not buy a house until the average raio is back to 3.5. If everyone stuck to that rule prices would be 50% in a few weeks.

Put another way, if UK house prices continue to rise at the rate they did in January 2010, the average house in Britain in 100 years' time will cost about £250 billion. I think we can all see, a crash is necessary and imminent.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:07 am
ABCDiamond

It's not a mystery. Just roll onto realestate.com.au with $128,000 and see how many three bedroom houses in good areas of Perth you can find. This is what they cost in 1980 when property was affordable.

See what places you come up with - if you provide the links I'll check out the properties.
$128,000 1980 Perth House prices for an average 3 bed I bathroom house ?

Average weekly wages: Earnings ; Western Australia ; Persons ; Full Time ; Adult ; Total earnings ;
$ 376 1983
$1,428 2009

So in 2009, using the same increase rate as wages we should see a 3 bed 1 bath house costing about $486,400

What are 3 bed house prices like in Perth now ?

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:08 am
ABCDiamond

I will not buy a house until the average raio is back to 3.5.
When you say a ratio of 3.5, what exactly is that ratio ? A House price 3.5 times the household income ?

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
$128,000 1980 Perth House prices for an average 3 bed I bathroom house ?

Average weekly wages: Earnings ; Western Australia ; Persons ; Full Time ; Adult ; Total earnings ;
$ 376 1983
$1,428 2009

So in 2009, using the same increase rate as wages we should see a 3 bed 1 bath house costing about $486,400

What are 3 bed house prices like in Perth now ?
The house cost $40,000 in 1980 dollars. So the $376 is $20,000 per annum, making the wage 50% of the house price. Today, the wage annualised is $75,000 (who the hell earns that by the way??) which is about 20% of a three bedroom house in Perth.

Last edited by hereandthere; Feb 9th 2010 at 2:16 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
The actual number of houses being constructed has declined over the years...

Housing construction chart by state:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5uu7n.jpg
With a decline in housing construction, you would also expect a rise in prices due to supply and demand. More housing construction would reduce that demand, and aid in bringing prices down.

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:13 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Comparison of similar Cities...

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:24 am
Pie Eater

Of course, just because houses are statistically unaffordable doesn't guarantee that the housing bubble will burst.

The government could act and increase housing construction, whilst still supporting current home owners with fair interest rates.

A more moderate annual increase in house prices, even inline with inflation, can still be seen as a worthy investment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.