Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:13 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The statement was:

My reply to that statement was:

The reply to my statement above was:

My further to that was:

When one is in a tag game, the tag team have to accept the rules...

WTF are you talking about.....Tag team?

Why would someone be in a tag team because they DARE to challenge your views or statistics??
I can presume that anyone who agrees with your statements must therefore be on your side?

Please can you tell me which colour you would like to be so I can buy my side the right colour T-shirts??
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:32 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski

Why would someone be in a tag team because they DARE to challenge your views or statistics??
I can presume that anyone who agrees with your statements must therefore be on your side?

Please can you tell me which colour you would like to be so I can buy my side the right colour T-shirts??
Is this shite still going on?

Come on guys stop going so personal or I will have to say something to get the thread closed
Old Feb 8th 2010, 8:40 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

Come on guys stop going so personal or I will have to say something to get the thread closed
But he started it Sir!!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:56 pm
ABCDiamond

Was someone challenging my views then ? I never noticed that, in this specific conversation. In fact I thought we had seemed to near enough agree with the state of housing prices in this discussion.

One of you said sideways, I said almost, one of you said how can it be almost, so I explained for you that going up a 'bit' was the difference to sideways.

What's the problem ?

Best not to presume to much. Presumptions can be wrong.

Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:57 pm
ABCDiamond

But he started it Sir!!
Where did I get personal ?

Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:05 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Average, median or whatever. The thing is, property is way overpriced and people are stretching themselves beyond their means just to get on the ladder. Banks are lending 6-7 times salary to enable this therefore inflating the bubble. The Gov't helped with their boost and by relaxing foreign investment laws.

If it wasn't for the MASSIVE Gov't Stimulus, Australia would have been in recession for the past 3/4 's at least. Signs of it are starting to appear in figures being released now.
Do you have any proof that "property is way overpriced" ?

Or is this merely your opinion?

I can prove quite easily to you that "property is not overpriced".
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:19 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

<ears perk up>
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

When property is overpriced then the houses don't sell ? A wild stab in the dark with the basic of economic truths imo. Housing is a market just like any other and the market decides what is over priced or not.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:28 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
When property is overpriced then the houses don't sell ? A wild stab in the dark with the basic of economic truths imo. Housing is a market just like any other and the market decides what is over priced or not.
The original poster made a blanket statement saying that "property is way overpriced".... you can read it in my quote or on page 3 or 4.

I agree with your statement... Some individual properties are overpriced. Your position is different from swigski's.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

The governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia said this back in July ....., house prices have taken off since then, especially in Melbourne and Sydney.

This is the opinion of the Reserve Bank, whose opinion I'd rate over yours Aspirilla.

Reserve Bank warns of housing market bubble risk Scott Murdoch July 28, 2009

RESERVE Bank governor Glenn Stevens has warned Australia is at risk of a property market bubble, with prices inflated by the low cost of finance and a reduced supply of new housing.

In a speech in Sydney today, Mr Stevens said at a time of rising unemployment it would be “disturbing” for policy makers if there was not more supply coming on to the market which would ensure prices remained under control.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225755525064
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
The governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia said this back in July .....,
This is the opinion of the Reserve Bank, whose opinion I'd rate over yours Aspirilla.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225755525064
An interesting comment, by the Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia, in that article...
“arrears rates on the bulk of mortgages remain very low by historical and international standards.
“In fact, across some portfolios arrears rates have declined in recent months.”
The RBA governor did say that "Australia is at risk of a property market bubble"

Has it happened ?

Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I did not know there was a bubble in the first place
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:58 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by pomtastic
The governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia said this back in July ....., house prices have taken off since then, especially in Melbourne and Sydney.

Clearly you haven't even read the article.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I did not know there was a bubble in the first place
Bubbles can only happen when the majority of the population can't see them forming. Like now.

Problem you've got is a lot of people buying houses now have grown up with very low interest rates, so they have no conception of what 12% rates for 12 months can do to their finances.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 11:23 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Bubbles can only happen when the majority of the population can't see them forming. Like now.

Problem you've got is a lot of people buying houses now have grown up with very low interest rates, so they have no conception of what 12% rates for 12 months can do to their finances.
You are right in that thinking, but thankfully they are only a minority.
eg: In January 2010 only 12.9% of all new mortgages were to First Home Buyers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.