Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:47 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Sounds more like a correction than a meltdown.
Figures for ONE day
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by swigski
Sorry, you've lost me. Would not have entered into any debates about Australian economy at July 2008. Did not move here until Feb 2009. I remember entering into discussions on the Oz economy around Oct 2009.

Unless of course, you can quote me?
Maybe it was 2009, but "I do not have the time to trawl through all your posts or the inclination".

Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Last Five days US market
+15.32
+14.13
+ 3.08

Total change = down 7.68 on a 1,080 base = -0.711%
or 7 cents lost for every $108.00

I don't see that as a crash as such.

Sat 6th Feb 2010
The aussie stock market has fallen 7.4% in the last 3 weeks - that's massive, if it carries on anywhere near this rate then you'll have your crash.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225827278524

US markets down 7.3% in the last few weeks. Similar stories across Asia and Europe.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0517005620100206
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:50 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Maybe it was 2009, but "I do not have the time to trawl through all your posts or the inclination".
Like it!! Your using my replies to reply to me!!!

I suppose in the absence of stats there is not much else you are able to say

Last edited by swigski; Feb 6th 2010 at 2:55 am. Reason: l
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:55 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Figures for ONE day
It happens.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:57 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, you've lost me. Would not have entered into any debates about Australian economy at July 2008. Did not move here until Feb 2009. I remember entering into discussions on the Oz economy around Oct 2009.

Unless of course, you can quote me?
There was this one in Oct 2008

Swigski talks about the Australian Economy - Well, sort of

Yes, I am sad
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

You mean the Australian Stock market ?

Australian All Ordinaries Index
http://www.abcdiamond.com/wp-content...ries-index.png

Or is there another one ?

The 2007-2008 one was a crash, after a massive rise.

This last one is a blip in comparison to what Australia endured in 2007-08.
We had four of those "blips", or 'crashes' if you prefer, in the big rise from 2003-2007.
This is just the beginning ABC,.... those charts you have posted, from a technical point of view are looking extremely bearish.

The central bankers are VERY concerned with the state of the global economy. Greece has 7 times more debt than Lehmanns had and are at the point of defaulting on debt. In fact a 'secret summit' of central bankers is taking place right now in Australia. Ignore this at your peril.

http://www.news.com.au/business/secr...-1225827289543
Old Feb 6th 2010, 3:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
There was this one in Oct 2008

Swigski talks about the Australian Economy - Well, sort of

Yes, I am sad
You said it!

I joined BE in May 2007 and have made 1 general observation on the Australian Economy after a brief visit here in Oct 2008 before I started posting on the subject in Oct 2009.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
The aussie stock market has fallen 7.4% in the last 3 weeks - that's massive,
But how much did it rise in the weeks before that ?

Originally Posted by pomtastic
if it carries on anywhere near this rate then you'll have your crash.
But what if it doesn't ?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:03 am
ABCDiamond

You said it!

I joined BE in May 2007 and have made 1 general observation on the Australian Economy after a brief visit here in Oct 2008 before I started posting on the subject in Oct 2009.
And what was it you said in 2008 ?
Think this just goes to show that no-one can safely predict what will happen
You know, I agree with that But the question is... Do you still agree with that ?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:08 am
ABCDiamond

I suppose in the absence of stats there is not much else you are able to say
There are no stats involved in a specific question to confirm if I still agree with something that you can't say what it actually was... Hence the inability to say with absolute certainty if my opinion on some unknown specific has changed or not.

It was interesting to see that your reply was basically copying my reply to you earlier, and then saying
You do realise that I had asked you to quote what I said, followed by you copying that and asking me to quote what I said you said, before you talked about me using your replies in reply to you...

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:19 am
Banned

There are no stats involved in a specific question to confirm if I still agree with something that you can't say what it actually was... Hence the inability to say with absolute certainty if my opinion on some unknown specific has changed or not.

It was interesting to see that your reply was basically copying my reply to you earlier, and then saying

You do realise that I had asked you to quote what I said, followed by you copying that and asking me to quote what I said you said, before you talked about me using your replies in reply to you...
GET A LIFE !
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:20 am
ABCDiamond

GET A LIFE !
I have one, and I am loving it

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:28 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

GET A LIFE !
i think your getting a little emotional and wound up to be making comments like your recent posts.

Yes property is overvalued but so what? is different? Australians will wear a higher proportion of risk/stress than other countries. If your prepared to wait for this crash you can benefit, others who either hedge their bets or just buy a place to live.

You also need to realise that there are alot of these properties paid for in cash. And trading up or down is not going to cause them sleepness nights worrying about the state of the economy.

I see a lot of people get narky when they come from the UK expecting to move from a mediocre suburb to a plush Australian suburb and find its well out of their price range. They can't seem to stomach that Australian or locals can be earning more than they did in UK (how dare the colonials)
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
i think your getting a little emotional and wound up to be making comments like your recent posts.

Yes property is overvalued but so what? is different? Australians will wear a higher proportion of risk/stress than other countries. If your prepared to wait for this crash you can benefit, others who either hedge their bets or just buy a place to live.

You also need to realise that there are alot of these properties paid for in cash. And trading up or down is not going to cause them sleepness nights worrying about the state of the economy.

I see a lot of people get narky when they come from the UK expecting to move from a mediocre suburb to a plush Australian suburb and find its well out of their price range. They can't seem to stomach that Australian or locals can be earning more than they did in UK (how dare the colonials)
Emotional and wound up?

Never. Tell it like it is and as I see it. If other people don't like that, it's their problem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.