Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is a house with underpinning unsaleable?

is a house with underpinning unsaleable?

Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:18 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is a house with underpinning unsaleable?

Big problem has come up to delay our move to Australia. we have sold our house twice now and each time they pulled out because the house has been underpinned. We know it is because it is difficult to get insurance but it is not impossible. People have told me that those people must have been timewasters and would have picked anything to get out but now we feel our house is unsellable. Surely other people have sold a house with underpinning. ( I mean we bought it!) There has been no movement since it was done by the previous owner ten years ago. i don't know what we will do if we can't sell it!!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
i am no expert, but from what i remember reading, the insurers who paid out for the underpinning, have a responsibility to provide insurance. it should therefore not be impossible. i would have thought that with no movement in 10 years there was little to worry about.
unfortunately susidence is something few people know much about. could you get some info together, to reassure prospective buyers? i pressume that they are made aware of the underpinning early in the process?
good luck
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:04 pm
WBB

i wouldn't buy a house with underpinning, we pulled out of a purchase for this exact reason a few years ago, to us it was not worth the risk.

you may need to drop the price or offer some other incentive.

Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is a house with underpinning unsaleable?

Originally posted by fimart
Big problem has come up to delay our move to Australia. we have sold our house twice now and each time they pulled out because the house has been underpinned. We know it is because it is difficult to get insurance but it is not impossible. People have told me that those people must have been timewasters and would have picked anything to get out but now we feel our house is unsellable. Surely other people have sold a house with underpinning. ( I mean we bought it!) There has been no movement since it was done by the previous owner ten years ago. i don't know what we will do if we can't sell it!!
My Mum had her house underpinned and sold it soon after.
As long as you have the paper work you should be OK. Bound to put some people off a little - just have to tart the inside up - give it the wow factor so they don't take any notice of the fact it may fall down
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:10 pm
Go Banana's !!

Personally I would have thought that if u can prove it is structually sound then it should be ok. Howeer, it puts that doubt in the back of your mind and could put people off.

On a personal note, I would probably not buy an under pinned house as I would be concerned for the long term. Sorry to p***s on your bonfire.

Good luck anyway.

Warren
Perth 2004.....

Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

It's not unsaleable.......I bought the house I am in now knowing the extension to the side was underpinned. The house was spectacular for us so that swung it.......but as long as an insurer takes it on what else is to worry about?.....been in near 5 years now and apart from the garden (clay based) getting cracked up in last summers heat the house is fine.........I did check out the work that was done by the contracting builders and surveyors though...

How did you buyers find out it was underpinned ?.....
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:56 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point

the first ones found out through the survey they had done and the second the estate agent told them. I think the big problem is that there is little paperwork on what happened and also the original owner who had it done stopped insuring it after it was underpinned. (he was well dodgy) We have just changed our insurer to one who assure us they will continue insuring it after we sell so hopefully it will not be a problem now.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

the first ones found out through the survey they had done and the second the estate agent told them. I think the big problem is that there is little paperwork on what happened and also the original owner who had it done stopped insuring it after it was underpinned. (he was well dodgy) We have just changed our insurer to one who assure us they will continue insuring it after we sell so hopefully it will not be a problem now.
Must have been a decent survery to find this out........as opposed to the pure valuation survey where they don't even get out the car....just look out the window and say "yep, it's a house"....
sure you'll be alright in the end....
Old Feb 16th 2004, 4:21 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Get a structual engineer to do a survey. He will give you a report and give a copy of this to your solicitor.

Should cost a coulpe of hundred.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 16th 2004, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by WBB
i wouldn't buy a house with underpinning, we pulled out of a purchase for this exact reason a few years ago, to us it was not worth the risk.

you may need to drop the price or offer some other incentive.

What does underpinning mean??.......
Old Feb 16th 2004, 5:25 pm
SMC
Forum Regular

SMC is on a distinguished road

As has already been mentioned if you have the paperwork then I'm sure you will sell sometime. being in construction (and I'm sure you know) that you probably live in an area prone to ground movement. the reason that people are wary of buying is that there is always the possiblity it could happen again (at a different part of the house. What you could do to help sell is offer 1 years insurance (that you pay for) as a sweetner .

Hope all turns out good and sorry for sounding negative

Simon
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

A few words of reassurance!

We bought a new house some 30 years ago, and after eight years in it the floors started down. We had it underpinned - 97 steel piles driven down inside, floors, stairs, central heating, kitchen etc all taken off in skips. The living room floor turned out to be hanging on a rad at one end! Then they broke through all the internal walls and cast lintels through them onto other lintels which ware supported by the piles. Etc Etc. Major six month job. Then we moved back in and lived in squalor for two years while we put in new kitchens, loos, stairs etc.

The reason for telling you all this is to show it was a significant structural job.

When we'd finished we thought we'd like to build our own place, and we actually found an ideal 14 acre plot - but we couldn't buy it unless we put up the money right away. So we let it go, as we didn't know whether we'd be able to sell our underpinned house and we didn't want to saddle ourselves with two properties.

In the end, we DID sell the house within a month or two of putting it on the market. None of the viewers were overly concerned about the work but then we did have all the engineers' plans and reports to show them.

I'd agree that you'd do well to invest a little on a structural engineer's report - NOT a survey, which says bugger all - and show it up front to viewers (unless of course it says the place is about to sink into the ground up to its ears!)
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Rog Williams
A few words of reassurance!

We bought a new house some 30 years ago, and after eight years in it the floors started down. We had it underpinned - 97 steel piles driven down inside, floors, stairs, central heating, kitchen etc all taken off in skips. The living room floor turned out to be hanging on a rad at one end! Then they broke through all the internal walls and cast lintels through them onto other lintels which ware supported by the piles. Etc Etc. Major six month job. Then we moved back in and lived in squalor for two years while we put in new kitchens, loos, stairs etc.

The reason for telling you all this is to show it was a significant structural job.

When we'd finished we thought we'd like to build our own place, and we actually found an ideal 14 acre plot - but we couldn't buy it unless we put up the money right away. So we let it go, as we didn't know whether we'd be able to sell our underpinned house and we didn't want to saddle ourselves with two properties.

In the end, we DID sell the house within a month or two of putting it on the market. None of the viewers were overly concerned about the work but then we did have all the engineers' plans and reports to show them.

I'd agree that you'd do well to invest a little on a structural engineer's report - NOT a survey, which says bugger all - and show it up front to viewers (unless of course it says the place is about to sink into the ground up to its ears!)

I see what it is ........ Clay..........
The acerage I just bought is clay and in Canada (b.c) befor you can build on it has to be engineered.

So with mine they dug down 10 feet into the ground and kept on measuring with there instruments till it was ok.

Then we brought in new sand and rock 20 truck loads.......cost me extra but better safe than sorry....

Last edited by jeannie; Feb 16th 2004 at 8:33 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Unfortunately clay is prone to shrinkage and swelling which may have been the problem in the first place. Hopefully witht he underpinning works they would gone down further to a sound level and hopefully there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as I understand I don't think the foundations on 1900-1930's houses are that deep anyway.