Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to Australia

Hoping to move to Australia

Old Jan 10th 2018, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Jfox921 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move to Australia

Hi, me and my partner are looking into going to Australia on a working visa. I’m 22, a qualified beauty therapist and he’s 23 and has a HGV 1 license. We know that neither of our jobs are on the skilled list so we’re trying to weigh up all our options.

I don’t think I’ll get anywhere with my job, Is it at all possible for him to get sponsorship for truck/lorry driving? We know he may have to re sit his tests in AUS as they’re not the same as over here. Also where is the best area to look for these jobs? He would prefer day work if possible..

Thank you
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move to Australia

Why not come over on a WHV as many your age do? That would enable both to 'get a feel' of the country, as well as the ability to travel around every locality. No body what changes will be introduced to obtain PR visa's, but being on the ground and seeking out contacts can hardly be a bad thing, if at some stage considering a more permanent stay. It would also gauge your like or dislike and pro and con's of life Down Under.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jfox921
Hi, me and my partner are looking into going to Australia on a working visa. I’m 22, a qualified beauty therapist and he’s 23 and has a HGV 1 license. We know that neither of our jobs are on the skilled list so we’re trying to weigh up all our options.

I don’t think I’ll get anywhere with my job, Is it at all possible for him to get sponsorship for truck/lorry driving? We know he may have to re sit his tests in AUS as they’re not the same as over here. Also where is the best area to look for these jobs? He would prefer day work if possible..

Thank you
I'm not an expert on Oz visa requirements, but as far as I'm aware there's no pathway for a young Brit couple to gain permanent or temporary residency without at least one of them having a job on the skills lists - even sponsored jobs need to be on one of the skills shortage lists. If only one qualifies, they must be either married or in a de facto relationship in order to add their partner to the visa.

Re the work/holiday visa, I actually think that you'd have a better chance of picking up work than your boyfriend - beauty therapy is a very transferable skill. Capital cities would probably be your best bet for that.

Don't forget the 3 months work in a designated area during your first year, which allows you to stay for a second year. Although these areas are usually outside capital cities, I believe that Adelaide (capital of South Australia) is classified as a designated area. But I'd encourage you to try a rural or country area for the 3 months, it'd be a great experience.

Come on over, you'll have a ball!

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 10th 2018 at 11:02 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about beauty therapist demand, besides noting there does appear a fair number of schools in Perth, but nail therapists (is that even a title?) you'll know what I mean, appear to be doing great business here. Although most appear to be Asian, I don't see why it should be exclusively so. Could be a consideration? There are three such establishments in my manor.

I would agree with above poster with you being the most likely prospect in the event of attempting a more longer stay. Check out the list for chances, keeping in mind changes are regular, and jobs listed do not indicate necessary a shortage and ease of getting work.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 11:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just a bit of fun - when people ask about the best areas in Australia to live or work, I like to show them this map - it's a much bigger country than a lot of folk realise!
Attached Thumbnails Hoping to move to Australia-map-europe-inside-australia.jpg  
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jfox921

Thank you
If the job isn't on the skills lists then there is no chance of sponsorship. The job needs to be on a list even for temporary sponsorship.

In order to get a job driving trucks, even on a WHV, he will need to check out the rules for whichever state you intend to base yourselves in. Truck licences are not directly transferrable, and the details will vary from state to state. It certainly isn't cheap and may well not be feasible for a WHV.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

See if you can take a year out from your jobs without pay obviously and come on the WHV as suggested. You're the right ages and will be able to travel around, doing various paid jobs and work out if you actually want to live here.