Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hope it's no one on here....

Hope it's no one on here....

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hope it's no one on here....

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
+1. I'm not even going to bother to participate any more, any comment you make that doesn't follow one or the other 'camp's' agenda is simply ignored. Who can be arsed.
Likewise. No wonder the place is on its last legs.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 10:10 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
**** sake!! Does every thread have to be "right vs left" bullshit? It's not a wonder hardly anyone posts on here anymore.
Hmm, well it was verystormy who turned a visa question into a political bias question.

As a generic point, all fora have 'strange attractors' - subjects that all articles tend to circle back to and thus lose relevance. It's the basis behind Godwin's law. Here one of those is right wing types trying to make everything about politics and bias - not surprising, they tend to pop up everywhere today - trying to warp reality to line up with their ideology.

Strangely visas ISN'T one of the the attractors here - for instance nobody is talking about Brexit being an opportunity that Australia could be taking to entice high skilled Brits to migrate. Even the idea of a free movement area for certain nations seems to have died away since last year.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought (could be wrong) I started the thread because I was naffed off that someone could be smart enough to apply for and be granted a visa and have no concept of the term 'Temporary'.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I thought (could be wrong) I started the thread because I was naffed off that someone could be smart enough to apply for and be granted a visa and have no concept of the term 'Temporary'.
I hear you. I don't know why some people think that the rules don't apply to them and then get upset when they find that they do!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You did.

If I remember, following posters largely concurred with you, and then from there the thread drifted into some irritation that The Guardian tried to transform it from "guy didn't read his visa conditions / thought they wouldn't apply to him" into a sob story about how the Australian Government is mean to migrants.

Once the Guardian starts get cited on these threads, the horse bolts the barn.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 3:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
You did.

If I remember, following posters largely concurred with you, and then from there the thread drifted into some irritation that The Guardian tried to transform it from "guy didn't read his visa conditions / thought they wouldn't apply to him" into a sob story about how the Australian Government is mean to migrants.

Once the Guardian starts get cited on these threads, the horse bolts the barn.
Either that or it's been put down but is continually flogged.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 4:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I hear you. I don't know why some people think that the rules don't apply to them and then get upset when they find that they do!
Me neither. We had a couple of such cases locally here. Whipping up media attention with a sob story.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Playing Devil's advocate here - I agree that crying foul is a bit rich given that he was on a temporary visa, and I don't think he should be given any special treatment by DIBP - the rules are the rules. But I don't blame him for using the media in a 'clutching at straws' way - he's built a good life for himself and his family in Oz (on very shaky foundations) and he's desperate to stay.

Should he be permitted to stay in Oz? No, not unless he can qualify for another type of visa. Is it ok to use the media to sway government and public opinion in your favour? It must be, because individuals, corporations and governments use the media for this every day.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point spouse of scouse. Playing the media card can work for some, I guess. Usually helps if you've got a bit of money to help swing things in your favour.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Fair point spouse of scouse. Playing the media card can work for some, I guess. Usually helps if you've got a bit of money to help swing things in your favour.
Oh yes, cash is king in immigration! He could get an investor visa tomorrow if he had a few million laying about.