Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hope it's no one on here....

Hope it's no one on here....

Old Dec 30th 2017, 10:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hope it's no one on here....

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ill-change-too

Man comes out on a 457 and now complains he has to go back. Please don't let him be on BE!!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2017, 11:18 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hope it's no one on here....

Aw, let him stay, how good can it be? I had a friend (a welder) who moved to Aus and never came back, he just loved it, and to tell the truth he was a bit wild, had sort of a questing affect so no surprise.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 12:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Man comes out on a 457 and now complains he has to go back. Please don't let him be on BE!!!!!
The clue is right up there with the headline isn't it, one can't migrate on a 457, its a temporary visa..... ( as we frequently warn people ). And with his age against him thats all it was ever going to be! How was he planning to stay in the long-term?

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 31st 2017 at 12:26 am.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The clue is right up there with the headline isn't it, one can't migrate on a 457, its a temporary visa..... ( as we frequently warn people ). And with his age against him thats all it was ever going to be! How was he planning to stay in the long-term?
I couldn't decide if I was more annoyed by his stupidity or by his assertion that there was nothing to go back for. Why on earth would you buy a house when you know you are on a Temporary visa?
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:30 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't decide if I was more annoyed by his stupidity or by his assertion that there was nothing to go back for. Why on earth would you buy a house when you know you are on a Temporary visa?
We bought two
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know, its just senseless. I'd love to know if he had any kind of plan at all.#I mean if he is 59 now, then he was already over the age to apply for Skilled PR when he got his 457. Some the most he could have hoped for was renewing his 457 every 4 years- which would mean him being able to work, and the rules not changing.
did h never consider what visa he would get when he could no longer keep renewing that 457? Did he never read the rules around it? Did he not understand the word 'temprary'?
I'm with you, beats me why you'd break all ties to the UK and move your entire extended family and buy a house if you only have the right to live here for 4 years.......

It says they've applied for CPVs - well they would have been told the processing time when they applied, its always been a fair wait and always well discussed on forums. And they can come back when the CPVs are granted - many many people will never have the chance to reunite their famiies in that way.
As for the daughter saying the children will grow up without their grandparents - well hello, thats what happens when you emigrate, same as most migrants with kids find themselves with no family help.

I'm not totally unsympathetic, but I don't like the air of entitlement that shines through that article. Many families are split by visa rules, often through no fault of their own. In this case at least all the rules and facts would have been clear to see from the outset.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:37 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dreamy
We bought two
But I don't think you were too old to get Skills visas and thus migrate permanently..........
Old Dec 31st 2017, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

The ease of the 457 leading to many securing PR, likely led to complainant into a false sense of security and not a little entitlement.
Obviously they have been put up to going to the media to further their hope of continued residence through public outcry. I've seen a number try this lark before.

Thank goodness a few hundred 'jobs' have been shred from the 'open to wide abuse' 457. Incomers need to be warned it is what it says a temporary visa. Buying of property or any other avenues will have no bearing on any other outcome than a return home when original commitment has been undertaken.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 4:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It is a shame they did not find BE though, as they would then have been strongly counselled by you guys about this temp visa, especially given their ages.

We could have moved to Oz like that re. husband's trade BUT we knew it wouldn't lead to residency. Not sure why this couple thought differently.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 5:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Incomers need to be warned it is what it says a temporary visa.
Ridiculous. The government makes in abundantly clear that the 457 is a temporary visa - there is no ambiguity on their part

There's the warning right there

Anyone on a 457 who doesn't treat it as temporary is an asshat
Old Dec 31st 2017, 5:27 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But I don't think you were too old to get Skills visas and thus migrate permanently..........
Don't make me sound more sensible than I was, lol - we did it all the most terrible way possible - sold up, dragged the kids across the world, when we had a pretty good life already in the UK, all on a 457.

Then, after buying a house in Queensland, the project that Mr Dreamy was on ended, and he didn't fancy commuting to the south of Brisbane, so we state hopped and bought another house (still on the 457, with permission from FIRB) before the first one was even sold.

We were a reality show waiting to happen! Fortunately, Mr Dreamy's awesome skills are in huge demand here in Australia, and we applied for permanent as soon as we were able... but there were still some sweaty moments about EldestDreamy, who was 20 or so when we finally got PR.

Listen to Auntie Dreamy, boys and girls, don't do what she did
Old Dec 31st 2017, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Uh oh. Some people can’t even read the big writing let alone the small writing. Silly sausage! I’m sure if they have been on here and we have warned them about the precariousness of the route they were proposing to take we would have been slammed for being harbingers of doom.

So what visa is the son on? If it relies on his dad’s employment? Maybe they’re all on 457s so they could all go home but, then, how could the olds be applying for a CPV? Very convoluted but I hope Immigration isn’t vulnerable to emotional blackmail.

Last edited by quoll; Dec 31st 2017 at 5:55 am.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Ridiculous. The government makes in abundantly clear that the 457 is a temporary visa - there is no ambiguity on their part

There's the warning right there

Anyone on a 457 who doesn't treat it as temporary is an asshat
They aren't sensible, and should read the terms of the visa as it is quite clea, but I don't think they deserve that kind of abuse. Reading your posts leading it seems you consider the majority of the world's population to be an 'a** for some reason ro other.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Don't make me sound more sensible than I was, lol - we did it all the most terrible way possible - sold up, dragged the kids across the world, when we had a pretty good life already in the UK, all on a 457.

Then, after buying a house in Queensland, the project that Mr Dreamy was on ended, and he didn't fancy commuting to the south of Brisbane, so we state hopped and bought another house (still on the 457, with permission from FIRB) before the first one was even sold.

We were a reality show waiting to happen! Fortunately, Mr Dreamy's awesome skills are in huge demand here in Australia, and we applied for permanent as soon as we were able... but there were still some sweaty moments about EldestDreamy, who was 20 or so when we finally got PR.

Listen to Auntie Dreamy, boys and girls, don't do what she did
Old Dec 31st 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Got to love the Grund these days saying it is all because of changes recently made. Totally ignores the fact he was never eligible for a skilled visa. The Grund has become the lefts answer to Fox News - a purveyor of spin and lies published to an agenda.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.