Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hope everyone in Brisbane is OK

Hope everyone in Brisbane is OK

Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:45 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hope everyone in Brisbane is OK

For those that havent heard Brisbane got struck with severe storms this afternoon. Northside between Kallangur/Narangba & Redcliffe was badly hit as were the eastern suburbs including the bayside area.

In one way we were lucky, we didnt get the hail that some got & we still have power however we got almost 4 inches of rain in an hour & got a serious soaking & have probably lost alot of stuff in our shed as it got flooded.

Lots of people still without power, hope everyone got through in one piece.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:50 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hope everyone in Brisbane is OK

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
For those that havent heard Brisbane got struck with severe storms this afternoon. Northside between Kallangur/Narangba & Redcliffe was badly hit as were the eastern suburbs including the bayside area.

In one way we were lucky, we didnt get the hail that some got & we still have power however we got almost 4 inches of rain in an hour & got a serious soaking & have probably lost alot of stuff in our shed as it got flooded.

Sorry to hear that

Good luck to all our Brissy members
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:50 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

My missus is at work, not allowed to leave because all the security (including the door locks) are electronic. Somebody is gonna have to stay in the shop until the power comes back on. According to the Energex web site, they have no idea when it will be back on and will give the next update at 11pm

We had a few flickers earlier, and the Foxtel went off in the middle of Adelaide v Sydney (oh the tragedy ) but otherwise OK. And it's cooled down loads since the storm passed, which is nice.

Do I take it you haven't been to the shed to check yet Mrs D?
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:05 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Fraser, Im betting the ones on the northside copped it the worst. The pics on the news showed hail the size of golf balls & bigger.

Originally Posted by wmoore
My missus is at work, not allowed to leave because all the security (including the door locks) are electronic. Somebody is gonna have to stay in the shop until the power comes back on. According to the Energex web site, they have no idea when it will be back on and will give the next update at 11pm

We had a few flickers earlier, and the Foxtel went off in the middle of Adelaide v Sydney (oh the tragedy ) but otherwise OK. And it's cooled down loads since the storm passed, which is nice.

Do I take it you haven't been to the shed to check yet Mrs D?
I havent been out Wayne, but Dagboy has, the water went right through it (just washed straight across the floor) & we have sheets of plasterboard & stuff for renovations that have all got wet as well as lots of stuff that has been stored in boxes (& the boxes are now all wet if they were sitting on the floor). I think Dagboy is planning on taking the day off work tomorrow to see what can be salvaged.

Looking at the BOM site it just swept through here right across to Manly where your missus is, weirdest thing I have seen for a long time, it actually hit us 3 times. 1st time was the worst, then a lull for about 5 mins then it came back from a different direction. Then it actually stopped completely, sun came out for about 20 mis (the boys were actually playing downstairs in the river that was our backyard ) & then another storm hit again from a different direction again. Lightning like you wouldnt believe :scared: .

As I said, luckily we didnt lose power, fingers crossed that power comes back to Manly soon, I notice they didnt seem to get anywhere near as much rain as us according to BOM (about an inch) , but the lightning & the wind must have done the damage down there.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just e-mailed my sister, I hope your wife is ok W.

cheers for that

lace x
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

oh god MrDagboy,
I hope Mrs Dagboy can salvage what she has to today.

God, I hope everyone is ok

hugs lace x
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I havent been out Wayne, but Dagboy has, the water went right through it (just washed straight across the floor) & we have sheets of plasterboard & stuff for renovations that have all got wet as well as lots of stuff that has been stored in boxes (& the boxes are now all wet if they were sitting on the floor). I think Dagboy is planning on taking the day off work tomorrow to see what can be salvaged.
weirdest thing I have seen for a long time, it actually hit us 3 times. 1st time was the worst, then a lull for about 5 mins then it came back from a different direction. Then it actually stopped completely, sun came out for about 20 mis (the boys were actually playing downstairs in the river that was our backyard ) & then another storm hit again from a different direction again. Lightning like you wouldnt believe :scared: .
Hope it's not too bad when you get through it all.

Yeah we had the same. I thought it had gone and then it came back again and again. Very odd. I also saw some wicked lightining out towards the sea from my back window. Looked like each strike was actually 3 or 4 strikes in the same place
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:14 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by lacey21
I have just e-mailed my sister, I hope your wife is ok W.

cheers for that

lace x
Cheers. I just spoke to her and they're all having a candlelight vigil in the shop And the staff keep scaring her because we watched The Grudge last night and she's still a bit edgy from it :scared:

For anyone who doesn't know, Energex has a web site showing outages and expected restore times - http://www.energex.com.au/network/as...erruptions.asp
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:29 am
Rocket Scientist

Thanx lacey, hope you get hold of your sister soon & theres no damage.

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hope it's not too bad when you get through it all.

Yeah we had the same. I thought it had gone and then it came back again and again. Very odd. I also saw some wicked lightining out towards the sea from my back window. Looked like each strike was actually 3 or 4 strikes in the same place
It was very freaky, as you said the lightning was seriously bad (what I saw of it from under my pillow huddled on the lounge :scared: ), D took some video & I took some pics of the water, I'll see if I can post them later.

Looking at the energex website looks like bayside was worst hit for loss of power if nothing else!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the Gold Coast meet where we were collecting HUGE hail stones and running around frantically trying to protect the cars. When we got back to Brisbane we noticed a lot of minor damage around the streets and our front decking had received a mammoth soaking (even though its undercover!). The kitchen area was covered in water where we had left a window open. Ooops. Still - we appear to have got off really lightly compared to others.

Netta
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

Looking at the energex website looks like bayside was worst hit for loss of power if nothing else!
Did you notice on the list of Bayside suburbs, Victoria Point was missed again ?

We did get some rain, and the power flickered for a second, enough to make my PC reboot

Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:47 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

crikey, and we thought the sleet we had last night was bad!!!

hope all the brissie gang are ok
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:03 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the Wow sight & sound shop in Redcliffe when the storm started,fantastically loud cracks of thunder!,then we thought it was the rain hitting off the shop roof,took the kids to the entrance of the shop where just about everybody in the shop was running out to the car park to get their cars under shelter,large hail bouncing about everywhere! first time we have seen the hail (in oz that is!),we were amazed,our girls couldn't quite believe what they were seeing!,we stood there for ages just watching it, the shop security men at the entrance were running in & out collecting the lumps of ice & giving it to our girls
It was really bad for about 20minutes solid,funny watching people run out & try to dodge the hail 'ouch' (sick sense of humor i know )

Even though its all quietened down now,no rain,wind,thunder its been lightening constantly for over an hour,fantastic to watch it dart across & down from the sky,its coming from all directions.

Donna.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy Crap and we watched War of the Worlds last night!!! :scared: :scared:

Has your wife seen that Wayne!?!?!?! :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 27th 2005, 10:11 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

we got almost 4 inches of rain in an hour & got a serious soaking & have probably lost alot of stuff in our shed as it got flooded.

Oh stop whinging!! Don't you know we badly NEED rain. Just be grateful this was the "right type" of rain. Now if we could just have a couple of weeks of storms like that every day, then maybe we could move back to level 1 restrictions.

The fact that half of Brisbane would have been washed away by then is just the type of thing whinging POMs would point out...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.