Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home loan - fixed or variable?

Home loan - fixed or variable?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Home loan - fixed or variable?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Too true, but they would still prefer it if you didn't pay it off in full
They get a small wedge in the form of interchange fees but I reckon it would barely cover their costs. A lot of that interchange fee seems to go to loyalty programs.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:08 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
If you use ING Directs calculator where they don't use fortnights as being half a month (so 12 months repayments is the same as 26 fortnights payments) for each $100k borrowed over 25 years you save $120 (total) at their current interest rates.

ING Direct have some useful tools where you can see the effect of overpaying too.
Yup, the calculators are good, you can really visualise the effect paying an extra few bob a month will have
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
Is redraw to do with taking out funds up from your mortgage account where the current balance is less than the original loan amount? Is this what a lot of people do rather than taking out personal loans?

I have a small stash of cash and have been wondering if it is better to make an overpayment to the mortgage account or hold on to it for a rainy day? I guess if I do the former I could always make a redraw right?
Originally Posted by DeadVim
My redraw (cashback) allows me to take any 'extra' repayments back, so it's not the original loan amount, just anything we have overpaid.
Some places will give you a line of credit in addition to the initial borrowings for your house, (naturally you might have borrowed an arbitary amount) either attached to it, or in a seperate account.

We got a 25k line of credit which we didn't really want to touch, and we did not ask for it.

What does happen I notice is that when the mortgage payment goes in but before the mortgage interest is debited that these funds show as balance...
and are infact available - it is important to not spend this money....I should imagine that within a few months a letter would arrive asking you to put it back and notifying you are behind...
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Well, I have always gone by the kind of advice given here (Method 3 on the page):

http://www.financiallyfree.com.au/mo...ead of Monthly
That website you mentioned does specify two things:
  1. The main benefit achieved using this method [you need to set your new fortnightly payment amount at exactly half your current monthly payment] is because you will be tricking yourself into making an additional annual monthly repayment, and the advantage of doing this is quite significant.
  2. Beware: if you approach your bank manager and tell him you wish to switch from monthly repayments to fortnightly, he/she may use the following calculation: (Mthly Pmt x 12) / 26
So you can see where the real difference is, ie: in making extra payments.

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Steve2009
They get a small wedge in the form of interchange fees but I reckon it would barely cover their costs. A lot of that interchange fee seems to go to loyalty programs.
When I had my business, I was paying the banks about 2-3% of each and every Credit Card transaction. Is that what you refer to as interchange fees ?

Less than 0.5% goes into loyalty programs, so they do appear to keep a decent margin on every transaction.
eg: If I spend $4,000 in a month, the shops I spend in could be paying a total of about $80 to the Bank. Some shops only pay about 1% (Woolworths, Coles etc), but others could well still be around 3%. My last dealings with this were in 2002, and I am not sure if the banks have 'reduced' their charges...

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When I had my business, I was paying the banks about 2-3% of each and every Credit Card transaction. Is that what you refer to as interchange fees ?

Less than 0.5% goes into loyalty programs, so they do appear to keep a decent margin on every transaction.
eg: If I spend $4,000 in a month, the shops I spend in could be paying a total of about $80 to the Bank. Some shops only pay about 1% (Woolworths, Coles etc), but others could well still be around 3%. My last dealings with this were in 2002, and I am not sure if the banks have 'reduced' their charges...
Many people take a cut out of that small fee, the acquiring bank, the issuing bank and the service providers. About 12% would be cheap for this kind of unsecured credit, meaning the credit card providers would be barely breaking even if they were giving 30 days free credit on these transactions and getting 1% in interchange. I think from experience 1% would be quite a big fee for issuing banks.

Last edited by Steve2009; Oct 5th 2010 at 11:29 am.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Many people take a cut out of that small fee, the acquiring bank, the issuing bank and the service providers. About 12% would be cheap for this kind of unsecured credit, meaning the credit card providers would be barely breaking even if they were giving 30 days free credit on these transactions and getting 1% in interchange. I think from experience 1% would be quite a big fee for issuing banks.
But don't forget, the retailers normally cover the 30 day free credit. We always waited a fair time before we got paid by the credit card company. Not sure if it was about 30 days or thereabouts.

The banks are getting the money for basically nothing.