Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High schools in Australia

High schools in Australia

Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Clareevans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default High schools in Australia

So, with us about to start visa applications (189), I'm guesstimating if everything goes to plan, we're looking roughly at 12-18 months before we're ready to make the big move. Maybe a little sooner?

We have 3 children aged 14,11 and 7 and are beginning to think about timescales for our eldest, who is about to start 4th year (Scottish system) and therefor exams in around 13-14 months time.

Has anyone moved a 14/15 year old from the UK to Australia? When do kids sit exams, and would it be wise to let her sit her Nat 5's here first and then move?
She does well in school, though is a late December Birthday, and so young for her year. I wouldn't be against her going back an academic year if she'd fit in to her age group as I do think kids here start school very early which forces them to grow up really quickly (plus at this rate, she'd finish high school here just after her 17th Birthday, which seems ludicrous!)

I'm not so concerned about her younger brothers, as they don't have exams coming up and could both more easily slot into any system at the moment.

Any advice or experiences very welcome!
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High schools in Australia

Australia doesn't do "exams" in the same way (foreign country, different education systems depending on state) but general rule of thumb, they need to do all of yrs 11 and 12 (start yr 11 at 16 or just about to turn 16 depending on state) and do the full course - varies from state to state as to how much continuous assessment vs examination.

She wouldn't be held back a year with a December birthday but would be 16.1 on entering yr 11. If there is any likelihood that you might be returning to the UK system then I would let her do as much as possible there so she can keep all her options open. But, to reiterate, she does need to do the full 2 year course!
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Clareevans is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply - at this point, the plan is to stay in Australia, so with our timescale, we'd have plenty of time to get settled before year 11. It might be worth her having Nat 5's under her belt before we head out, though this means staying put for another 15 months or so. Not the end of the world, but a bit longer than we'd hoped!
This is really helpful info though!
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clareevans
Thanks for your reply - at this point, the plan is to stay in Australia, so with our timescale, we'd have plenty of time to get settled before year 11. It might be worth her having Nat 5's under her belt before we head out, though this means staying put for another 15 months or so. Not the end of the world, but a bit longer than we'd hoped!
Son finished yr 12 in oz at 16 nearly 17. Too young imo. Be aware gd 11 and 12 subjects could be disadvantaged if she had not done gd 10. I would consider your sons too. I think boys can be far more immature than girls and move out here will throw a lot of distraction right st them. Party time was the main goal of my eldest when he arrived mid teens.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving on a permanent visa and believe this will be for good, then the sooner you can move the better.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you are moving on a permanent visa and believe this will be for good, then the sooner you can move the better.
Yup, foreign exams aren't much use if you are certain to stay in Australia but Aussie "exams" aren't that great at travelling back should you need to. Some states do begin the possibility of study towards yr 12 whilst in yr 10 but not essential.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

So, with us about to start visa applications (189), I'm guesstimating if everything goes to plan, we're looking roughly at 12-18 months before we're ready to make the big move. Maybe a little sooner?

We have 3 children aged 14,11 and 7 and are beginning to think about timescales for our eldest, who is about to start 4th year (Scottish system) and therefor exams in around 13-14 months time.

Has anyone moved a 14/15 year old from the UK to Australia? When do kids sit exams, and would it be wise to let her sit her Nat 5's here first and then move?
She does well in school, though is a late December Birthday, and so young for her year. I wouldn't be against her going back an academic year if she'd fit in to her age group as I do think kids here start school very early which forces them to grow up really quickly (plus at this rate, she'd finish high school here just after her 17th Birthday, which seems ludicrous!)

I'm not so concerned about her younger brothers, as they don't have exams coming up and could both more easily slot into any system at the moment.

Any advice or experiences very welcome!

I would move ASAP and have your daughter in the Aus school system as early as possible, the style of education, courses etc are very different from the UK, it all depends though on what your daughter is thinking of career wise in the future. Bare in mind that some Australian States have different Education systems. Year 11 & 12 are the main years for WACE studies (for Uni) there are no such exams typical to GCSE's or then A levels you can leave year 10 without any certificate at all as long as you have work or a TAFE (college).
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice

Hi there, We moved to Melbourne from Aberdeenshire in August last year with a 12,13 and 16 year old. My 16 year old daughter had just finished 5th year when we arrived. She went straight into year 11 in September and did well enough in the end of year exams to continue into year 12. Some of her 5th year results from Scotland have been used as credits towards her VCE. Her 4th year exam results have no relevance here at all.

My daughter is also a December birthday making her one of the youngest in her class. she did have the option of going back a year and starting year 11 over again if she wished but didn`t feel it was necessary. All three of my kids have found it reasonably easy to fit in to the system here as they feel are going over stuff they have already done in Scotland maybe a year or two ago
Old Oct 26th 2016, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Mike Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I have completed my Olevels and now I am willing to apply for Australia I am a bit confused whats the difference between foundation program and vce?Can I complete VCE in a year? Is it harder than Alevels? please help
Old Oct 26th 2016, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Assume you are going to Victoria then. VCE is a 2 year course and TBH you would be better to stay and finish A levels if you can - they travel much better than the reverse. You would get into a better Uni course with relatively lower scores than you would need in UK. However, you might be too old to start VCE in January - the kids are just 16 generally. If you are older you might have to go to TAFE to do it.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 7:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Ross
Hello I have completed my Olevels and now I am willing to apply for Australia I am a bit confused whats the difference between foundation program and vce?Can I complete VCE in a year? Is it harder than Alevels? please help
What do you mean, you are willing to apply to Australia? Do your parents have visas sorted out? Or were you thinking you could apply on your own?
Old Oct 27th 2016, 7:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What do you mean, you are willing to apply to Australia? Do your parents have visas sorted out? Or were you thinking you could apply on your own?
I think he must be older - he mentions O Levels so must be in his 40's at least!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with earlier posters, Australian schools don't do "exams" like in Europe or the US, unless you are planning to go to university in which you will enroll in ATAR courses in Years 11 and 12 that do have high-stakes exams.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:56 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

We're in NSW. When we arrived our daughter was chronologically year 8, which is the second year of high school here. Also, her birthday is late February so she would have finished school and started uni at 17, which we feel is far too young. So we asked for her to enter year 7 giving her a proper start at high with all the new kids. It turns out she isn't even the oldest in her classes. She's completed her first year now and we've no regrets at all with the decision to "back year" her at all. She gets full 6 years at high school and turns 18 in her final year. Much better.

Be flexible and remember that UK quals, unless complete and being used for uni entry, are pretty much pointless over here and the general rule of thumb for kids settling into education is the longer they have in the school system here, the better (not just for their education). This gives you all longer to adjust to the system and settle in. It's a different system with a different focus and that takes time for everyone.