Hi newbie here!

Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:38 am
Just Joined

london_ladyX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi newbie here!

Hi everyone just joined. As you can tell from user name I live in London and for last few years me & my partner have been discussing the idea of moving to other side of the world. We have a 4 year old and 2 year old and a dog. Really want to move within the next couple of years. My partner has a skilled trade. Everyone thinks we r crazy thinking of living somewhere never visited. I want to holiday there next year. But hopefully that won't change my mind to stay in UK.

Any advice on getting a sponorship job, or did anyone bring their dog? I know that's expensive, but how expensive?

Thanks for advance
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi newbie here!

BermudaShorts will be along shortly to give her response.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london_ladyX
Hi everyone just joined. As you can tell from user name I live in London and for last few years me & my partner have been discussing the idea of moving to other side of the world. We have a 4 year old and 2 year old and a dog. Really want to move within the next couple of years. My partner has a skilled trade. Everyone thinks we r crazy thinking of living somewhere never visited. I want to holiday there next year. But hopefully that won't change my mind to stay in UK.

Any advice on getting a sponorship job, or did anyone bring their dog? I know that's expensive, but how expensive?

Thanks for advance
Have you had a look at Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to see if you qualify for a visa? What trade is your partner in?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for advance
Looking for employer sponsorship isn't a great place to start. Most employers do not want to sponsor, unemployment is quite high here and trades are particularly unlikely to sponsor. Don't rule it out, but put on a back burner whilst you consider skilled migration.

Skilled migration is a longer process, but a surer one and if you meet the criteria you will get a visa, it won't be down to chance and luck. What trade is your OH in? What about yourself, what is your occupation?

To get started have a read about the 189 or 190 visas on Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection. In particular, check the occupation lists the "SOL" and "CSOL" and see how you et on with a points test. Maybe do that and come back and let us know how you get on.

Loads of people bring dogs, the costs depend upon how big your dog is and how large a crate it will need. My crate was big enough for two cats (well two containers they can't share) and overall it cost about £3,000.

Loads of people move without seeing Australia, not just today, but they always have. You are not crazy. If you can fit in a holiday then great, but it won't provide much of an insight into living here anyway.

I had been to Australia only once before we moved, 13 years earlier but was not considering a move back then and indeed never really thought about it in the intervening years, not until we decided to apply for a visa.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't just the cost of the flight and crate for your dog though, there is also the 10 day mandatory quarantine together with all the veterinary preparation ahead of time etc. I have just moved, albeit from USA this time to AU with two cats and all together they have cost about $9,000 to prepare, ship and quarantine but I can't wait to see them this Sunday when they get out!!
Old Nov 10th 2014, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Hey thanks for all the replies

Wow wee $9000 crazy money but totally worth it!

Hey yes done all the research ages ago in his field of sheet metal work and air conditioning going by the points system we qualify
I work in admin at moment but also fully qualified Personal Trainer and class instructor which I know neither qualify so would be from my partner job.

If skilled is more difficult, what other ways or visas are there?

Good to know about not needing to holiday there. I do have friends in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth & Sydney so have a pick of places to stay while get settled depending on where want to live?

At moment it's between Melbourne and Brisbane from my research and from hearing from people I know but welcome any ideas and tips?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hey yes done all the research ages ago in his field of sheet metal work and air conditioning going by the points system we qualify
I work in admin at moment but also fully qualified Personal Trainer and class instructor which I know neither qualify so would be from my partner job.

Good to know about not needing to holiday there. I do have friends in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth & Sydney so have a pick of places to stay while get settled depending on where want to live?

At moment it's between Melbourne and Brisbane from my research and from hearing from people I know but welcome any ideas and tips?

Who said skilled migration was more difficult? If you referring to my post, I said getting employer sponsorship is more difficult for most people. Skilled migration has more steps, but it definitely isn't more difficult than trying to find an employer sponsor.

I recommend focusing on the visa process to start off with, not where to live. Once you have your application in you have heaps of waiting time to think about where to live. But the main factor in this decision will be where can you find work, after that I would consider housing costs and climate. Don't get side tracked looking for subjective opinions on "where is best for children" as some do! That's my tip.

The price I mentioned for moving two cats included quarantine. Maybe it is a lot more expensive from the US, but I reckon a medium size dog will be about £3k.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

The price I mentioned for moving two cats included quarantine. Maybe it is a lot more expensive from the US, but I reckon a medium size dog will be about £3k.
Not sure when you moved your cats but as from July 1st this year, the daily rate for the actual quarantine boarding was increased to $149 a day (from $29 a day!!) and the associated vet check and other quarantine costs had similar huge hikes in percentage increase.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
Not sure when you moved your cats but as from July 1st this year, the daily rate for the actual quarantine boarding was increased to $149 a day (from $29 a day!!) and the associated vet check and other quarantine costs had similar huge hikes in percentage increase.
I am well aware of this thank you. The length of quarantine required also reduced from 30 to 10 days since I moved, offsetting much of that. Yes quarantine is more expensive now overall, but by about $600. It would not cost the equivalent of $9000 to move two cats from UK, I am absolutely sure of it.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

I wasnt meaning to sound offensive, apologies if that is how you read it, I was just saying that apart from the flight and the overall quarantine costs etc we had to do a lot of preparatory work such as rabies titer tests minimum 6 months ahead of travel, plus all the various vet checks and compulsory treatments to get the Health Cert A so if people are only thinking of the costs of quarantine and flights they will not have factored a significant sum of money for various other things. Plus we used a pet travel agent to help us with all the stringent rules and regs to take away some of the stress. This no doubt added to the cost.

Last edited by Phoodilicious; Nov 11th 2014 at 2:06 am.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for responses

So if u go on skilled visa you don't have to have a job lined up? How long do u have to find a job once in the country is there a time limit?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for responses

So if u go on skilled visa you don't have to have a job lined up? How long do u have to find a job once in the country is there a time limit?
Correct. Skilled migration and employer sponsorship are two different visa routes.

You don't "have" to find a job in a given timeframe or indeed at all once you have a skilled migrant visa. It is just that unless you are independently wealthy, you will need one to live.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Brilliant thanks. We qualify for skilled visa just getting saving now for all the costs involved. Did u use an agent or do all visa work yourself?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Brilliant thanks. We qualify for skilled visa just getting saving now for all the costs involved. Did u use an agent or do all visa work yourself?
I started off using an agent, but they were rubbish and I fired them after skills assessment. I did much better by myself and was happier being in control. but we are all different and you need to consider how you feel on the matter. Also if you think there might be any complicating matters, health issues, patchy work history etc. then an agent can be well worth it.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, indeed and it won't get any less expensive... Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.