Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

View Poll Results: Do you agree with what Buzzy said about successful emigrants?
Yes, Buzzy, you have hit the nail on the head.
55.07%
No, I think the opposite.
44.93%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:13 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Originally Posted by Hutch
I reckon that those folks most likely to return quickly are the ones who are heavily reliant on friends and family. Doesn't need much further explaination. If you've got a wide social circle, can always get a babysitter, had to extend your mantelpiece to fit all the xmas cards on and you're emigrating because it's an adventure then cancel the flights, take the house off the market and try white-water rafting instead.
Where were you when we were telling our wide social circle (you think it was hard fitting all the xmas cards on the mantelpiece, try fitting all those friends into one room) that moving to Australia would be a great adventure? If we'd heard your wise words before booking the flights and selling the house, we could be white water rafting this very moment

It is good advice though!

Buzzy - your theory probably applies to some people but it's too huge a generalisation to cover everyone who moves here, some of who may be happy and some who aren't. But good attempt at trying to nail it!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:22 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

We liked the UK, we also like Australia. Things that will make you a success here are the same as they would be anywhere in the world. If you are mortgages up to the eyes, have no social life, and are always working, then you wont be particularly happy, because you arent in a position to enjoy what your chosen country has to offer, so you are always chasing your tail. If you have reduced working hours, little or no mortgage, and a full social calender, then the chances are you are probably happy, doesnt matter where your house happens to be. A positive outlook on life definitely helps if you have migrated.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39

Not so sure BB... I often think that some people spend a lot of time complaining about things in the UK without fully realising that Oz has all the ills of a western country as well... And when they find that out it can be a bit of a disappointment...!

What he said, spot on.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I don't think it's that simple, from what I have read here and what I know about people I'd say everyone is different then multiply that by the size of the family, your upbringing and your experiences when you arrive plus the reactions of those you leave behind then you are getting there.

Nothing is black and white in life though your own attitude is a major factor I guess.

Absolutely, it's too big an issue to generalise...
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:11 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes,I agree.

Whiners and whingers will always be just that,no matter where they live.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:14 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Yes,I agree.

Whiners and whingers will always be just that,no matter where they live.
Yep, seconded.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:54 am
Banned

havinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nicehavinalaugh is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What he said, spot on.
I disagree with you. Australia is a modern, vibrant nation. It is not perfect, but compared to the UK the scales of the problems are a lot less. I find everything more effecient, the people happier, the kids better behaved and the weather is a huge bonus.

There are a lot of Brits who want to stick their head in the sand and pretend everything is fine with their country (I have got a good paying job and a good circle of family and friends so stuff what is happening in society!) The Aussies seems much more community minded IMO.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:15 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by havinalaugh

There are a lot of Brits who want to stick their head in the sand and pretend everything is fine with their country (I have got a good paying job and a good circle of family and friends so stuff what is happening in society!) The Aussies seems much more community minded IMO.
I think you can say the same about a lot of Australians with regards to this country's problems. Few people are genuinely concerned about other peoples' problems and willing to do something about it. What did you do about the UK's problems - you migrated to another country...
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:24 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by havinalaugh
I disagree with you. Australia is a modern, vibrant nation. It is not perfect, but compared to the UK the scales of the problems are a lot less. I find everything more effecient, the people happier, the kids better behaved and the weather is a huge bonus.

The scales of which problems do you think are much less here than in the UK...? Everything more efficient...? Read about Sydney's railways recently...? You're really havinalaugh...
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:24 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Money, money, money, if you bring enough with you then you've got more chance of a better start.......better suburb, nicer people etc......
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:34 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by rodders39
The scales of which problems do you think are much less here than in the UK...? Everything more efficient...? Read about Sydney's railways recently...? You're really havinalaugh...
I was just talking about that on another thread...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21418282-2,00.html
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:35 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I was just talking about that on another thread...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21418282-2,00.html
Just read it...
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. I voted NO.

We were fed up with the UK. My sisters son had tried several school in very good areas and the bullying was in most of the schools especially high schools

We did not want this for our kids.

We were fed up lots of other things too.

So went to another country. Only in the EU. But kids and us settled brilliantly. And very happy here.

However our dream has always been Australia but this has been nice stepping stone to getting out of the UK. Also got the kids used to living away.

I would not go back to the UK. But now know I can settle in most countries. As we all like it here, I have also worked in Berlin for a few months before we came here. Loved Berlin too.

So know, I dislike things about the UK. But happily settled in two non speaking Euro countries.

So not expecting any problems.

If you read through many posts of people unhappy. Its usually more to do with leaving relatives behind in the UK. These people miss their parents and friends too much. Or others like Aus but find there trade is not as easy to transfer - eg blokes who have worked for 20 years on a job going back to apprentiship wages! A lot say they like Aus but cant cope with seperation from family. I think seperation is probably the No1 reason for coming back or so called moaning.

Gems
Old Mar 26th 2007, 7:51 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

I voted NO.I hated the fact that my kids couldnt go outside to play back home.(Traffic ,but mainly drunks ,junkies and horrible little chav kids) They can play outside here .In glorious sunshine most of the time too
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

EXACTLY 50/50 split at the moment.

Some very valid comments made.

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.