Reload this Page >

Help regarding university transfer

Help regarding university transfer

Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

fadsie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help regarding university transfer

Hello,

I am hoping to get a job in the Western Australia Police and transfer over from the police in the UK next year. I will be bringing my partner with me. My partner is currently studying Psychology at University in the UK. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible for her to continue her course in Perth where she left it in the UK? Or where I could find information about this. I have emailed Perth Uni but have not recieved a reply.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Ben
Old Aug 24th 2013, 11:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help regarding university transfer

Originally Posted by fadsie1
Hello,

I am hoping to get a job in the Western Australia Police and transfer over from the police in the UK next year. I will be bringing my partner with me. My partner is currently studying Psychology at University in the UK. Can anyone tell me if it would be possible for her to continue her course in Perth where she left it in the UK? Or where I could find information about this. I have emailed Perth Uni but have not recieved a reply.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Ben
What "Perth Uni"? There are 5 of them.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

The universirt of western australia. Apologies. It doesnt really matter which uni she will attend we just want to make sure it is possible?
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:54 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

The universirt of western australia. Apologies. It doesnt really matter which uni she will attend we just want to make sure it is possible?
It will matter which university as they'll all have their own rules and regulations about transfers from other institutions.

The chances are probably quite slim that she'll be able to pick up where she left off in the UK as any degree course will differ from university to university. She should be able to get credit for the study she's already done (recognition of prior learning) but it may be more beneficial for her to contact her existing uni and find out the chances of being able to continue her studies with them.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:39 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough

I can't speak for Perth Unis, but I couldn't get recognition from NSW unis for prior learning in the UK (not only would they not give me credit, but they wouldn't accept prior university study as proof that I was capable of studying) - ended up starting again from scratch with something else which, with hindsight, was a good option.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be staying put and finishing Psych in UK where she can get honours with her 3 yr degree which should be enough to get her into a Dip or Masters in Aus if she wants to actually practice. She might get some RPL but AHPRA (registration board) are hot on the course provision and its much easier to get a completed Hons assessed than a mishmash from various unis if, indeed you can find one that would give a decent RPL. Course fees would also have to be upfront, no loans and, depending on her visa could be very expensive (PR not as bad as temp visa).

Perhaps a long distance relationship in the first instance???
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice. A long distance relationship is not an option though. The visa would be PR if granted which I believe would save the up front course fees. It maybe that she would have to start again but will only have done year one by the time we would come. Would she be able to get into a uni in perth with her diploma she has over here
Old Aug 25th 2013, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice. A long distance relationship is not an option though. The visa would be PR if granted which I believe would save the up front course fees. It maybe that she would have to start again but will only have done year one by the time we would come. Would she be able to get into a uni in perth with her diploma she has over here
No, it would give you domestic rate fees but you'd still have to pay them up front.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Is that definate cause I was told that under a permanent residency visa we get exactly the same rights as citizens all but voting rights?
Old Aug 25th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

No HECS as PR. We rushed thru our daughter's citizenship so she could get it. It's a lot to find, depending on degree so maybe that long distance relationship is looking more inviting!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is that definate cause I was told that under a permanent residency visa we get exactly the same rights as citizens all but voting rights?
Yup definite. You pay up front by the semester and dont have access to HECS Help which is like a repayable student loan.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You were told incorrectly. University fees for non citizens are due upfront and no HECS loans available. The good thing though is that she will be charged domestic fees and not international.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Matcha is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Dorothy is spot on. I did the same thing in NSW. Best bet is to talk to them directly and get your options regarding credits.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:14 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjo
I can't speak for Perth Unis, but I couldn't get recognition from NSW unis for prior learning in the UK (not only would they not give me credit, but they wouldn't accept prior university study as proof that I was capable of studying) - ended up starting again from scratch with something else which, with hindsight, was a good option.
I was able to get recognition of prior learning for study completed in the UK for a course at UTS (in NSW). Easy enough procedure.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I was able to get recognition of prior learning for study completed in the UK for a course at UTS (in NSW). Easy enough procedure.
Did you do a psych degree? I only ask because AHPRA are notorious for chasing up every single course unit and if you want to prove your credentials it is easier to ensure that you have the right course composition if you front up with an honours from a decent uni - if you rely on RPL and a mish mash of course credits you could run into trouble IMHO. If you dont require registration of course then you may just find you need to do extra units to finish an Aus degree than you would have a UK one. As Aus unis dont give grades until youve completed honours and your honours thesis generates your grade it isnt such a big issue I guess if you are just going for a pass degree.