Reload this Page >

help regarding school

help regarding school

Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:19 am
Just Joined

uneela is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help regarding school

hello all,

we will be moving to Melbourne this month end and we have a 3yr 10month old kid ....my question is regarding his school and education ...i have heard that 5 is the official age to enter kindergarten....

which school can i put him in the interim ????? is there a prep school where he can go or are there any activity or playgroups where he can go and get used to the environment ????

how expensive are they and how do they function ??? i.e, do they charge on a daily basis and would it be 3-4hrs /day .

any info /contacts is much appreciated.

thanx
usha.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 10:24 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help regarding school

Originally Posted by uneela
hello all,

we will be moving to Melbourne this month end and we have a 3yr 10month old kid ....my question is regarding his school and education ...i have heard that 5 is the official age to enter kindergarten....

which school can i put him in the interim ????? is there a prep school where he can go or are there any activity or playgroups where he can go and get used to the environment ????

how expensive are they and how do they function ??? i.e, do they charge on a daily basis and would it be 3-4hrs /day .

thanx
usha.
Hi Usha

In NSW they have pre-schools for children 3 and up. My friend pays $28 per day (9.30am to 2.30pm). There is also an occassional care centre where you can book the children in for either one hour or 5/6 hours per day at $5 per hour. Obviously thats just in this area but it should give you an idea at least!

HTH

Rach xxxx
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Bluebristolian is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: help regarding school

Hi,

We've been in Mel for 20 months now and this place is great. We are NEVER going back. Our kids are 10 and 8 so I'm not too hot on the stuff for younger kids. We live in Viewbank and this is the preschool info on our local council website:

http://www.banyule.vic.gov.au/Content.aspx?topicID=785

We've been very impressed with the education our children are getting, and it's streets ahead on the outdoor activity/sports front. Ours are in the state primary school in Viewbank which is excellent although the state sector schools do vary just like they do in the UK. It depends a lot on the catchment etc.

Hope that helps.

BB.

hello all,

thanx
usha.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 11:54 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

hello all,

thanx
usha.
We pay $310 a week hours are 6am to 6pm (we leave her at 8.30 and pickup at 4.30pm

Depends also where you are moving to within Melbourne. Places can be very limited and long waiting lists.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

varun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Usha,

As far my knowledge goes the private day care centres ( also called play school centres) in Melb charge on per hour basis. It was $ 50/ hr for a decent centre. This is the information i got my brother when he visited India.

Please let me know if you would need any indian contacts in melbourne. I can give my brother's number / few others . He has been there for more than a decade now.

All the best.

By the way, are you moving as PR or on a job assignmnet? If you are interested we can keep in touch.

Incidentally, we also got our PR this MAy and need to make our first entry by JAnuary /07.

It will be great if you could share your experience.

Cheers,
Varun.

hello all,

thanx
usha.