Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help Please! WHV IT guy coming for less than a year

Help Please! WHV IT guy coming for less than a year

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 1:31 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Please! WHV IT guy coming for less than a year

My back story is that I dream to live in Nova Scotia but may spend some time in Toronto before I head there.

I've already bought a WHV which expires in September.

Canadas visas open up next week and they go quite quickly so I'm just asking for peoples generals thoughts on whether I should come to Sydney for a year or so before going to Canada.
My plan was to go to Syndey or Toronto around about May June time. I'd be taking with me around £6000 (my life savings so far, lolz) and I currently work on as an IT engineer earning £25k. I've got great experience so should be able to pick up a IT job for the equivilent in Oz BUT

I'm a little scared about not being able to find work in Oz, eating into my savings and then heading to canada to have my savings eaten into and have trouble finding work there also.

So my question is: if I came to Sydney would finding a job in my field around the $50k mark be much trouble and would I be able to save much?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Please! WHV IT guy coming for less than a year

The only problem with comng on a WHV to aus is that you can only work for 3months for an employer.
So that kind of rules out a lot of system engineer / sys admin type jobs as they can take sometime to settle into a company and learn the way they run things. By the time you settle in your 3 months would be almst out and you would have to leave.

The only type of IT jobs you could realisticly tackle in that short time would be 1st level service desk support. So answering phones and doing some remote support, then passing onto teir 2 support people. The only good news is that these are fairly well paid at around $50 - $55k.

You could get this kind of work fairly easily on a contract basis through agencys.

Sometimes it can take awhile to get your first contract as things move a bit slower here.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
The only problem with comng on a WHV to aus is that you can only work for 3months for an employer.
So that kind of rules out a lot of system engineer / sys admin type jobs as they can take sometime to settle into a company and learn the way they run things. By the time you settle in your 3 months would be almst out and you would have to leave.

The only type of IT jobs you could realisticly tackle in that short time would be 1st level service desk support. So answering phones and doing some remote support, then passing onto teir 2 support people. The only good news is that these are fairly well paid at around $50 - $55k.

You could get this kind of work fairly easily on a contract basis through agencys.

Sometimes it can take awhile to get your first contract as things move a bit slower here.
It's 6 months per employer on a WHV now

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...bligations.htm
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My twopenns worth, seeing as you have asked.

If Canada is your dream and you are in secure employment now, then I would recommend staying put, waiting for the Canadian visa and saving your money for that.

You could spend a fair bit of your savings with flights to and from Australia and initial living costs before you find work. And I don't think you will be able to save a whole lot in Sydney if you are earning about $55k.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
My back story is that I dream to live in Nova Scotia but may spend some time in Toronto before I head there.

I've already bought a WHV which expires in September.

Canadas visas open up next week and they go quite quickly so I'm just asking for peoples generals thoughts on whether I should come to Sydney for a year or so before going to Canada.
My plan was to go to Syndey or Toronto around about May June time. I'd be taking with me around £6000 (my life savings so far, lolz) and I currently work on as an IT engineer earning £25k. I've got great experience so should be able to pick up a IT job for the equivilent in Oz BUT

I'm a little scared about not being able to find work in Oz, eating into my savings and then heading to canada to have my savings eaten into and have trouble finding work there also.

So my question is: if I came to Sydney would finding a job in my field around the $50k mark be much trouble and would I be able to save much?
As far as I know, if you don't activate your WHV you can apply for another at a later date (please double check that, as I am certainly no expert!). So maybe wait a while, go to Canada (or not) and then re-apply later for Australia if you still want to give it a go?

Of course that does depend on your age! but thought it worth mentioning to you