British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Help please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/help-please-905732/)

Truckie Nov 11th 2017 11:06 am

Help please.

Hi. This is my first post and a desperate one.
I'm thinking of relocating to Australia. But as I'm a truck driver, my job isn't on the skills list. I have read that the Australian truck drivers union want to change that though. Anyone know anything about it? My age doesn't help either, I'm 46. I have no children and am now single too. And as far as I know I have no family over there. What are my options and how desperate is my situation?
TIA

old.sparkles Nov 11th 2017 11:11 am

Re: Help please.

Originally Posted by Truckie (Post 12379750)
I'm thinking of relocating to Australia. But as I'm a truck driver, my job isn't on the skills list. I have read that the Australian truck drivers union want to change that though. Anyone know anything about it? My age doesn't help either, I'm 46. I have no children and am now single too. And as far as I know I have no family over there. What are my options and how desperate is my situation?
TIA

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately it is unlikely that you will be relocating to Australia. The age limit for skilled visas has been reduced back to 45, but without a job on the skills list it is a non-starter anyway.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Truckie Nov 11th 2017 11:19 am

Hmm...it's the answer I expected to be honest. But isn't there a visa with a limit of 50?

Dorothy Nov 11th 2017 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Truckie (Post 12379760)
Hmm...it's the answer I expected to be honest. But isn't there a visa with a limit of 50?

Possibly an employer sponsored visa, but with your job not being on the list of eligible occupations you wouldn't qualify for that anyway.

I would have to say that Australia is probably over subscribed with truck drivers. As an example, I applied for a job working driving dump trucks a few months ago. At my interview (group thing) there were 72 people who made it to the interview stage. They said over 300 applied.

verystormy Nov 12th 2017 5:48 am

I can't see HGV drivers being added to the list. UK HGV licenses aren't even recognised in Oz - drivers need to re qualify. At the same time the Oz government are keen to reduce migration - over 200 occupations have been removed from the lists this year

Stuck in Auckland Nov 27th 2017 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Truckie (Post 12379750)
TIA

Have you looked at NZ first? Desperate need of truck drivers. That would lead to Australia eventually.

Dorothy Nov 27th 2017 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12389930)
Have you looked at NZ first? Desperate need of truck drivers. That would lead to Australia eventually.

Is it? After gaining PR in New Zealand then getting citizenship and coming to Australia on a temporary basis maybe. Be aware though that this route would take many years and never lead to Australian PR.

Stuck in Auckland Nov 27th 2017 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12389995)
Is it? After gaining PR in New Zealand then getting citizenship and coming to Australia on a temporary basis maybe. Be aware though that this route would take many years and never lead to Australian PR.

Hi Dorothy

You are right of course

But my thinking was (and knowing what's coming) a shortage in drivers in Australia will lead to changes on the skills list.

So while the possibility is a few years there is a chance to be sooner, and closer proximity to enjoy short holiday breaks in those shark infested waters:sneaky:

Pulaski Nov 27th 2017 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12390032)
..... But my thinking was (and knowing what's coming) a shortage in drivers in Australia will lead to changes on the skills list. .....

A shortage of truck drivers is most likely to lead to autonomous trucks that don't need a driver. :nod:

Stuck in Auckland Nov 27th 2017 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12390040)
A shortage of truck drivers is most likely to lead to autonomous trucks that don't need a driver. :nod:

Agree with you

But those big saltys look for consistent behaviour:sneaky:

sr71 Nov 29th 2017 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12389930)

Really? Does that mean they are willing to raise wages though?

Are there any specific areas that are looking for staff?

carcajou Dec 3rd 2017 12:38 am

OP can use New Zealand as a back door, but as noted this will take many years.

IF OP qualifies for New Zealand PR, and IF OP starts today, then (best-case) it will take about six years to get into Australia.

As someone else noted above, New Zealand Citizens (which OP would have to become - NZ PRs are not eligible) can live in Australia indefinitely under the Special Category Visa, but are not able to receive benefits such as Medicare or Centrelink. Though a pathway for permanent residence will be opening on this visa, based on what OP has written I do not think it he will qualify.

Stuck in Auckland Dec 3rd 2017 2:37 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 12390813)
Really? Does that mean they are willing to raise wages though?

Are there any specific areas that are looking for staff?

christchurch to blenheim.
north island all companies advertising including training to get your licenses.