Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help needed with ideas for a present for someone moving to Oz!!

Help needed with ideas for a present for someone moving to Oz!!

Old Jul 15th 2006, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed with ideas for a present for someone moving to Oz!!

Swarovski Crystal do a lucky shamroack (4 leaf clover) all clear crystal or one that the stem is clear and shamrock green crystal.Think they were @ £40.
it wishes good luck but is very beautiful to keep!

Good luck with your choice.

Ali x
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:42 am
its just a rabbit

dandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud of

how about getting a digital picture of people she will really miss, and have it printed on a mug/mouse mat/key ring.. etc..

ive been using these as gifts for ages now, as they are so easy to do, very good value and bridge the gap between useful/personal/thoughtful.

ive been using the photobox..co.uk service (i especially like the mugs) as they seem pretty good value, but i guess you can get this sort of thing from lots of places....unless youre in Oz.. where im having more trouble..

Mods, please note i have no personal/financial interest in photobox, other than beng really pleased with their service to date.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dandd
how about getting a digital picture of people she will really miss, and have it printed on a mug/mouse mat/key ring.. etc..

ive been using these as gifts for ages now, as they are so easy to do, very good value and bridge the gap between useful/personal/thoughtful.

ive been using the photobox..co.uk service (i especially like the mugs) as they seem pretty good value, but i guess you can get this sort of thing from lots of places....unless youre in Oz.. where im having more trouble..

Mods, please note i have no personal/financial interest in photobox, other than beng really pleased with their service to date.
I asked for all the money collected for me at work to go to charity - I didn't need it, and I certainly didn't want anything to bring with me! I do like the idea of photo-related stuff!
The other things we were given were guide books, and a UBD for Melbourne, although a Melways would have been better as that's what everyone uses. They were good presents. Also there's a book called Gregory's 200km around Melbourne, which is very good.
If there's money left after an MP3 player, you could always go for i-tunes vouchers to stick stuff onto the player!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:00 pm
its just a rabbit

dandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud ofdandd has much to be proud of

if you do go for a book (which is ideal for flights as well), then i really do reccommend bill brysons 'down under', i cracking read!!

also, if they dont have one, then a 1gb usb memory stick is handy (also available as mp3 unit, see an earlier post) and people could add files such as jpg's in advance.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:06 pm
its just a rabbit

how about a digital camera, can get em at good prices now, and fantastic for travel.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:09 pm
its just a rabbit

or, a PSP, id like one of them... cool toy eh!
or..cash.. for their first speeding fine.. it wont take em long (took the missus about 6 weeks).
or..marmite
or..clothes from Next/M&S... expats seem to go on about this all the time.
or.. buy me something, im not at all fussy, and always very grateful.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 7:50 pm
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

We received loads of wonderful gifts from colleagues, friends and family when we left the U.K.

Unfortunately, when trying to fit your life into suitcases, there's not much room for gifts. We ended up leaving a lot of the beautiful presents behind.

At work they all signed good luck messages on a massive card, had a whip round and gave us the money in Aussie Dollars. Not the most original gift perhaps, but it was just what we needed under the circumstances.

If you want to buy something, think small and light.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:08 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

What about a really nice pen? Most people I know wouldn't buy an expensive pen but appreciate using one. It's also relatively small and easy to pack and she is a teacher!!!

fiona
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
I like this idea!! Will look into that!!
A webcam so she can talk to her friends and family back home...
Old Jul 17th 2006, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
A webcam so she can talk to her friends and family back home...
Can we send this thread to anyone who's leaving to give to their colleagues?!

Or just give it to my husband before Christmas!!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:55 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fionast
What about a really nice pen? Most people I know wouldn't buy an expensive pen but appreciate using one. It's also relatively small and easy to pack and she is a teacher!!!

fiona
Yes like this idea to..... ok now have to many to chose from!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Now have the arduous task of collecting the money in, £2 a head is all we are asking some people are SOOOO tight!!!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thribble
Can we send this thread to anyone who's leaving to give to their colleagues?!

Or just give it to my husband before Christmas!!!
Go on Amazon and set up a wishlist which you 'inadvertently' send to loads of people ....they do more than just books these days too
Old Jul 21st 2006, 3:55 am
The Smiths

Glenn Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toon williams
My daughters teacher is going to Melbourne at Christmas for a year, like a teacher exchange thing!! Anyway all the kids are having a collection and we want to buy her something to take with her or about Oz, will have about £50 so ideas needed!!

She is what I would call an old school teacher, very strict and I would age her at about 45-55??!?!?! So she hasnt really got a great sense of humour and the kids giving it to her are all aged 7 & 8, so needs to be appropriate!!

All ideas welcome as we are a little stuck!! Only one so far is a trolley case to take on the plane and a book about Oz, but there must be something more exciting than that!!

Get on-line and buy her some vouchers for city beach (shop) so she can kit herself out in some cool billabong gear for the beach!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 5:02 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

A years worth of M&S Knickers, cheese a heater!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2006, 11:01 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glenn Smith
Get on-line and buy her some vouchers for city beach (shop) so she can kit herself out in some cool billabong gear for the beach!!!!
Nice idea but if you met the teacher .............. well lets just say she is a traditional old school type and I just cant see her being "cool" in anyway!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.