Reload this Page >

Help needed - Engineering in Australia

Help needed - Engineering in Australia

Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:22 am
Just Joined

elmo87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed - Engineering in Australia

Hi there,

I'm looking for some help / advice on immigrating to Australia with an Engineering Degree.

I know this is some time off, but I do like to know the full details in advance before I make some important decisions.

I am going to be starting my BEng Degree for Mechanical in September 2014, and upon completion, will be (hopefully) moving to Sydney to kick off my career.

Is this a realistic decision?

Will I be sponsored on a Graduate Scheme with no work experience in the Engineering Industry?

Can I even get onto a Graduate scheme with no Australian experience and a degree from University in UK?

What further study will be required upon arrival to Australia for Mechanical Engineering?

I was hoping to do the 4 year course in UK (MEng), but unfortunately time is against me (mature student).

My partner will be sponsored with her job (Early childhood teaching), so I can go down the de facto route if necessary, but would prefer to be sponsored to make the whole process easier.

Any advise on the above will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed - Engineering in Australia

Originally Posted by elmo87
Hi there,

I'm looking for some help / advice on immigrating to Australia with an Engineering Degree.

I know this is some time off, but I do like to know the full details in advance before I make some important decisions.

I am going to be starting my BEng Degree for Mechanical in September 2014, and upon completion, will be (hopefully) moving to Sydney to kick off my career.

Will I be sponsored on a Graduate Scheme with no work experience in the Engineering Industry?

Can I even get onto a Graduate scheme with no Australian experience and a degree from University in UK?

What further study will be required upon arrival to Australia for Mechanical Engineering?

I was hoping to do the 4 year course in UK (MEng), but unfortunately time is against me (mature student).

My partner will be sponsored with her job (Early childhood teaching), so I can go down the de facto route if necessary, but would prefer to be sponsored to make the whole process easier.

Many thanks in advance.
If you are only just starting your career, than I would come back with your questions nearer the time as no one can say whether your skills will be eligible in 4 years time. Study something you are passionate about, and enjoy your studies and wherever you end up, you'll have a great career. I'm not sure what the call is (or if there is any) for mechanical engineers in Sydney.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 7:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Many thanks in advance.
As old.sparkles says its really too far ahead to think about.
Skills which are required now may not even be on the list in a few years time, and the rukes around individual visas such as those aimed at graduates are almost certain to have changed in some way. There's no guarantee that your partner would get sponsorship either, its just too far ahead to plan.

The only thing of which you could be fairly certain is that if one of you can get a skills visa the other could come as a de facto pasrtner.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 5:24 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

An engineering degree from a UK university will enable you to become a Graduate Member of Engineers Australia (IEAust). However with no experience you will find it hard to get a job out here before you come. Look at coming out on a Working Holiday visa and then impressing an employer to the extent that he sponsors you for a 457. We have a young Irish lad working with us at the moment who did just that - mind you, he had some industry experience previously in Ireland.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Many thanks in advance.
What do you mean your partner will be sponsored in her job? She has managed to line up a sponsorship, three or fours years in advance? I would have thought sponsorship would be very difficult for her. Likewise, you don't see many graduates being sponsored either, skills and experience are generally required for sponsorship.

As others have said though, it really is too soon to comment, who knows how the land will lie when you are ready. I could not tell you how many changes I have seen in the last four years.