Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is that normal over there?
Not for much longer IMO.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
$750k for that?????? WTH, are they taking the piss? That's outrageous Is that normal over there? Blood and sand, I'm in shock
The funniest thing is that if you look at Mandurah on Google Earth you can see that there is land a plenty.

The South West of WA, where Mandurah is, could fit in the whole of the UK which has a population of 70 million and yet the asking prices for what is essentially a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse, asking price $750K, with no garden overlooking an alleyway is the price of a decent 3 bed semi detached with garden in a decent area of London (£420K).

Mandurah is a property basket case and I reckon Californian times are ahead for that area, it's unsustainable unless cashed up Poms retirees pay way over the odds for a house in the middle of nowhere.

Renth is right $300K max and I reckon in several years that will be the case.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

Hey - whats with picking on Mandurah!

That 750 000 place is a very poor example of property in Mandurah. I live in an oldish(20 years) part of Halls Head in a nice cul de sac, 5 minutes walk from the beach. 4 bed 2 bath, dbl garage, 2 lounges, family room, solar, AC, 800sq meter block etc, cost us 420 000. As for mozzies havent seen one in 2 years(2007 was a bad year. Port Bouvard is overpriced and rated in my opinion. Schools are plentiful both state and Church schools and Perth is a 45 minute train ride away or an hour by car on the new freeway. I work locally and love the place. Mandurah may seem to have a lot of land but most of it is unavailable for development. Mandurah may take a dip in prices but when things return to "normal" world economy wise, Mandurah will probably continue where it left off pre-crash as one of the fastest growing areas Aus wide nevermind WA. Good luck with you search and don't trust google earth - the real thing is much better
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lucy.summers
Out of those I'd go Tapping. I'm in Hocking about 5 minutes below Tapping and it's developing fast. I have friends in Halls Head and I think your kids would go spare...NOTHING to do is what I hear and far too far from Perth. Tapping you're about 35 minutes out of Perth so not unachievable and Joondalup pretty close with pubs / shops etc
Hiya thankyou for your input , surely halls head is not far from Mandurah thoughlike 10 mins , do we really have to go to perth all the time ??, isnt it like living in Bournemouth south coast ? where we do... and going to london?., approx 100 miles, I don't go to London often and Bournemouth has everything we need , is it a case that mandurah has nothing and if we live there we will feel like trapped in a hole ?? what is in mandurah for kids. My kids like going to the skate park hang out with friends and go to the beach , thats about it ....we like a chilled life, only thing that worries me is work .is joondalup full of brits in cheap housing as it sounds like it ...I would rather live somewhere in a chilled area nice house close to beach and some shops , also a job lol !!! .....hubby is a plumber surely work in mandurah . if all fails we will go over to Brisbane way ....perhaps
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Andrews2oz
When it comes to shops, you’re not going to like it here very much. All my wife and eldest daughter go on about is “I miss Primark” or “I prefer Tesco and Asda”
That said; if I’m to be honest, I miss a good high street, there’s something about taking a nice walk up an old fashion high street, walking down side alleys with loads of different shops… here you get shopping centres which have the same shops.

Regarding area: we’re in Secret Harbour which is about 20 mins from Mandurah; Secret Harbour is a lovely suburb if just little quiet but then so are a lot of suburbs SOR (Mainly because they are so new… seems like a new suburb is being built every week). We looked at NOR when we first arrived - Padbury, Quinns, Joondalup, Tapping etc and found the areas seem to be more lively, but we found that you do get more house for your money down near Mandurah.. Some of the houses we looked at up north were really run down and needed a damn good re-furb but still asked for more money than here.

Mandurah is lovely and we tend to go there most weekends, public transport is great, reliable, cheap, clean and safe - just like transport in the uk eh!!!! -

I work in the city which takes approx 1 hour - though this is more due to the slow speed limits than the traffic - don’t get me wrong, the traffic is heavy but it’s nothing like my old commute into London.
sounds about what we are aiming for , we looked at secret harbour why move to the other side of the world to live in a shoe box for lots of money , dalkeith for eg , or even anywhere close to Perth , when you can live a glorious life bigger better house in mandurah I saw a house today on www.realestate.com.au in Halls head amazing 500 dollars a week 4 bed 4 bath theatre room two living rooms bang on the beach , here that woud set you back thousands to rent ...I guess all the flies and bogans around must make it cheap as a previous poster said , I really have no idea as never set foot in Perth .....:0
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Why not look closer to Perth, so that your teenagers are closer to amenities, there's a greater choice of schools, you're closer to more work opportunities, more shopping, etc?

I've only been to Mandurah and Rockingham a few times, on day trips. Looks scenic, but by other accounts, not so good to live in. I would also avoid Quinns, we were not impressed by the language and behaviour of their U12 football team (parents and kids) when our son's side played them. There are nice people there, of course, but as others have said, there are reasons why some suburbs are cheaper.

Have a look at Duncraig, Carine: reasonable prices for renting and some bargains to buy. Both have state high schools and several primary schools with reasonable reputations. Good, reasonably priced private school in Duncraig (St Stephen's) - apply now, cross fingers and you might just get a place for your youngest in a couple of years. Close to beach, bus links to northern train line for CBD and Joondalup. TAFE and uni at Joondalup.

A little further north, Craigie and Padbury, a little less desirable than Duncraig and Carine, but better than many other suburbs.

Just east of the CBD, try Inglewood or Bedford. Closer to the river, try Bayswater, some bits of Maylands OK but lower percentage of home purchasers there = more renters. Usually better to have less renters in a suburb (apart from everyone on BE, of course). Uni campus at Mt Lawley, close to these suburbs, and train line.

More shopping options closer in, more sporting clubs, more transport, etc, etc.
Living nearer Perth is a great idea however so damn expensive , we will look when we arrive ................... thanks for your advise
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
Mmmm. We live south of Mandurah - Dawesville and untill recently i worked in Perth. Simple enough commute by train. Not sure why anybody would want to live in Perth. People indicating that there is so much more to do are bizzare. This is a city that rightly deserves its nickname Dullsville. The shopping is better in Perth and thats about it. If you live in Perth you will find yourself in a sprawling suberb that would make most sane people want to cut their wrists. And for the privalage you pay huge sums of money for a run down shoe box.

We havent got kids so it is a bit difficult to comment for them, but from what i see the local kids spend a lot of the time at the beach - here you can afford to be a couple of minutes walk from the ocean, in Perth you will probably be a drive. Or they play sports. Older teens do what older teens do and also go to the nightclubs / bars and things.

The down parts of the south is slightly more bogans - though if that puts you off then avoic WA. A lack of good places to eat - though we have a few and are only a short drive down to Margaret River and that it is a couple of degrees cooler.
good post , what is a bogan is it someone with a mullet ...? I know a hoon is an idiot ....he he he ....this lingo is great ..
Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob Tonnor
Any particular reason why you are choosing Perth? As renth says its a touch on the expensive side, have you thought about the East Coast? Places like Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour offer better value, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...rt%20Macquarie and they seem to offer all your looking for, its maybe worth a look.

Bob
Hi Bob thanks for your post , we originally came over and were going to move to brissie then cairns , now decided on Perth , after asking so many people on it all seemed to favour Perth the weather swayed us , as well as bringing 3 cats over and perth had a quarenteen , other choices sydney and melbourne , like the idea of mediteranian weather , feel the cold so wanted hot .....if we do not like Perth our other choice would be gold coast maybe , or nsw ...failing that melbourne , failing that spain ha ha ....................do not want to come back to the uk
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point

there are loads more options in perth than bleedin joondalpoop,rokko and tappin?

Last edited by aston; Jun 4th 2010 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Totaly agree the asking price on that one is a joke. But i long ago gave up laughing at WA house prices. In my opinion there isnt a single house in WA that is worth more than a million and the average McMansion is worth $100k max. This is Perth for gods sake not NY.

The house though is nice - i have been in and its opposite a great beach. It still doesnt detract from the fact that Perth burbs are awaful souless places to be and the people in them are well suited to them. Mandurah has its bad parts, but hey head out to Armadale on a night and see how many limbs you have on return. Its just like everywhere else here and in the UK. Good parts and bad parts. The main difference to Perth is simply that is a more affordable, especially to get very close to a beach. I am looking at buying a plot less than 200m from the beach and can have a house built for a total of under $400k

As for the comment "there is loads of land". Totally agree, but hey, this is Oz. Its not exactly full, but we are still getting ripped.

As for the mozzies. Never been bitten in Mandurah, but work in the Perth CBD and have several times
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere other than Iluka is full of bogans and is shit. Ask Renth, he'll tell you.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

In defense of Rockingham: (where I live)

4 kids 19,13,11,9

easy commute to city centre for events/meets/coffee/shopping/work

Easy commute to the south with the new motorway

straight through on the kwinana/mitchel for north... easy as

Good old fashioned community feel. Schools aplenty (both public and private) Scouts/cubs/police rangers/social stuff for kids

Pubs (ok so the swinging pig occassionally "goes off"... but so do places in Northbridge)

affordable

walk from school to home to beaches after school

cinemas x 2

Hideously hillbilly hooney areas exist... BUT they do everywhere... no donuts on OUR estate... (apart from ones I've made on me funky moped)

More bang for your buck... bigger blocks with the older properties ... more house for your $ than places NOR

Good mix of new build/modern and older renos available ... all serviced by established services... HUGE investment in city centre shopping and amenities

Local Schools receiving extra funding as historically low socio economic area.. benefits all children ...

Like most of perth... has hundreds of parks/spaces/play areas ... clean, well kept, well lit and 'safe... several skate parks...

eds
x

ps... Iluka area declining rapidly as too many positive recommenations from exisiting Brits living there has created an influx of cashed up pommie immigrants. RUINED the place so I hear
Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Anywhere other than Iluka is full of bogans and is shit. Ask Renth, he'll tell you.
Not true, parts of Ocean Reef, Kallaroo, Hillarys and Sorrento are very nice too.
Old Jun 5th 2010, 7:24 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
In defense of Rockingham: (where I live)

4 kids 19,13,11,9

easy commute to city centre for events/meets/coffee/shopping/work

Easy commute to the south with the new motorway

straight through on the kwinana/mitchel for north... easy as

Good old fashioned community feel. Schools aplenty (both public and private) Scouts/cubs/police rangers/social stuff for kids

Pubs (ok so the swinging pig occassionally "goes off"... but so do places in Northbridge)

affordable

walk from school to home to beaches after school

cinemas x 2

Hideously hillbilly hooney areas exist... BUT they do everywhere... no donuts on OUR estate... (apart from ones I've made on me funky moped)

More bang for your buck... bigger blocks with the older properties ... more house for your $ than places NOR

Good mix of new build/modern and older renos available ... all serviced by established services... HUGE investment in city centre shopping and amenities

Local Schools receiving extra funding as historically low socio economic area.. benefits all children ...

Like most of perth... has hundreds of parks/spaces/play areas ... clean, well kept, well lit and 'safe... several skate parks...

eds
x

ps... Iluka area declining rapidly as too many positive recommenations from exisiting Brits living there has created an influx of cashed up pommie immigrants. RUINED the place so I hear
Port Kennedy 2mins from Rockingham, great place also
Old Jun 5th 2010, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Port Kennedy 2mins from Rockingham, great place also
There are some really good burbs around rockingham... pockets of pure delight...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.