Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all
Default HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

what are your thoughts on these three areas ??
everyone has different likes and dislikes but it is good to get a balanced view I think
we are moving over from Bournemouthsouth uk, we are used to a great town and beach , jurasic coast and much more , just over populated and cold too often suffer with fibromyalgia need the heat !!! we move there in two months time

Really have no idea where to move reserched prices to rent in all areas , some are way to high so we resorted to these three being the most reasonable for what you get for your money quinns not to far from beach. halls head seems bang on also looks like mandurah has everything you need , Rockingham seems not to far from all .Is it dated though ,?? kids are 16,14,11,8 we are a family that currently like going out at weekends to either park ,forest , cinema , bowling , in the week generally stay in get dvd's , we are not clubby people so a pub here or there is good for now and then we like shops , so dont want to be rural over all want a nice area good schools primary and secondary and a chilled out life ......so if you have an idea where we should definatley look let me know we are looking to rent up to 500 dollars pwfor a 4 bed study etc hope to get a pool and modern home ....kids request not mine lol ...................currently renting a 4 bed terrace here at £1100 that is falling apart grrr , be glad to start over again ...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 4:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP MANDRAH ROCKINGHAM OR QUINNS AREA CLARKSON TAPPING (NORTH

TBH Those northern 'burbs are not that great. There is a reason that they are affordable. My main worry would be the kids education - the govt schools around there have a poor rep. Out of the three NOR suburbs you mention the one I'd choose is Tapping.

To be honest I wouldn't be coming to Perth at all - too expensive these days.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Out of those I'd go Tapping. I'm in Hocking about 5 minutes below Tapping and it's developing fast. I have friends in Halls Head and I think your kids would go spare...NOTHING to do is what I hear and far too far from Perth. Tapping you're about 35 minutes out of Perth so not unachievable and Joondalup pretty close with pubs / shops etc
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Tapping just Wanneroo? They cut a little bit and called it Tapping so people would buy there?

But yea, if it's where I'm thinking (near Carramar) then I'd pick there over the other choices.

Last edited by canadaeh; Jun 2nd 2010 at 12:08 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Andrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to all

When it comes to shops, you’re not going to like it here very much. All my wife and eldest daughter go on about is “I miss Primark” or “I prefer Tesco and Asda”
That said; if I’m to be honest, I miss a good high street, there’s something about taking a nice walk up an old fashion high street, walking down side alleys with loads of different shops… here you get shopping centres which have the same shops.

Regarding area: we’re in Secret Harbour which is about 20 mins from Mandurah; Secret Harbour is a lovely suburb if just little quiet but then so are a lot of suburbs SOR (Mainly because they are so new… seems like a new suburb is being built every week). We looked at NOR when we first arrived - Padbury, Quinns, Joondalup, Tapping etc and found the areas seem to be more lively, but we found that you do get more house for your money down near Mandurah.. Some of the houses we looked at up north were really run down and needed a damn good re-furb but still asked for more money than here.

Mandurah is lovely and we tend to go there most weekends, public transport is great, reliable, cheap, clean and safe - just like transport in the uk eh!!!! -

I work in the city which takes approx 1 hour - though this is more due to the slow speed limits than the traffic - don’t get me wrong, the traffic is heavy but it’s nothing like my old commute into London.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Why not look closer to Perth, so that your teenagers are closer to amenities, there's a greater choice of schools, you're closer to more work opportunities, more shopping, etc?

I've only been to Mandurah and Rockingham a few times, on day trips. Looks scenic, but by other accounts, not so good to live in. I would also avoid Quinns, we were not impressed by the language and behaviour of their U12 football team (parents and kids) when our son's side played them. There are nice people there, of course, but as others have said, there are reasons why some suburbs are cheaper.

Have a look at Duncraig, Carine: reasonable prices for renting and some bargains to buy. Both have state high schools and several primary schools with reasonable reputations. Good, reasonably priced private school in Duncraig (St Stephen's) - apply now, cross fingers and you might just get a place for your youngest in a couple of years. Close to beach, bus links to northern train line for CBD and Joondalup. TAFE and uni at Joondalup.

A little further north, Craigie and Padbury, a little less desirable than Duncraig and Carine, but better than many other suburbs.

Just east of the CBD, try Inglewood or Bedford. Closer to the river, try Bayswater, some bits of Maylands OK but lower percentage of home purchasers there = more renters. Usually better to have less renters in a suburb (apart from everyone on BE, of course). Uni campus at Mt Lawley, close to these suburbs, and train line.

More shopping options closer in, more sporting clubs, more transport, etc, etc.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm. We live south of Mandurah - Dawesville and untill recently i worked in Perth. Simple enough commute by train. Not sure why anybody would want to live in Perth. People indicating that there is so much more to do are bizzare. This is a city that rightly deserves its nickname Dullsville. The shopping is better in Perth and thats about it. If you live in Perth you will find yourself in a sprawling suberb that would make most sane people want to cut their wrists. And for the privalage you pay huge sums of money for a run down shoe box.

We havent got kids so it is a bit difficult to comment for them, but from what i see the local kids spend a lot of the time at the beach - here you can afford to be a couple of minutes walk from the ocean, in Perth you will probably be a drive. Or they play sports. Older teens do what older teens do and also go to the nightclubs / bars and things.

The down parts of the south is slightly more bogans - though if that puts you off then avoic WA. A lack of good places to eat - though we have a few and are only a short drive down to Margaret River and that it is a couple of degrees cooler.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Any particular reason why you are choosing Perth? As renth says its a touch on the expensive side, have you thought about the East Coast? Places like Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour offer better value, http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...rt%20Macquarie and they seem to offer all your looking for, its maybe worth a look.

Bob
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to buy in Quinns (cheap beachide suburb) then I'd lowball on a house by at least 20%. Nothing is selling there right now, 130 houses for sale only 6 under offer or sold according to REIWA. Plenty of stock to choose from so offer low, don't be scared. About 4 months ago there would of been 30 houses under offer or sold, it's slowed down up in the far Northern Suburbs.

I personally wouldn't live in any of the suburbs you mentioned (except Tapping) you can hear the duelling banjos, wheel spins and dogs barking at night. Although plenty of people like it, I guess it depends on what you have come from in UK.

Last edited by pomtastic; Jun 3rd 2010 at 5:36 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
If you want to buy in Quinns (cheap beachide suburb) then I'd lowball on a house by at least 20%. Nothing is selling there right now, 130 houses for sale only 6 under offer or sold according to REIWA. Plenty of stock to choose from so offer low, don't be scared. About 4 months ago there would of been 30 houses under offer or sold, it's slowed down up in the far Northern Suburbs.

I personally wouldn't live in any of the suburbs you mentioned (except Tapping) you can hear the duelling banjos, wheel spins and dogs barking at night. Although plenty of people like it, I guess it depends on what you have come from in UK.
My guess is someone who has visited one or two places in Mandurah. Also, by recomending Tapping is someone who thinks the burbs are heaven. Perth itself is full of people who are Hyasynth Bucket. Sometimes i struggle to styffle the giggles as i walk through places like Subi.

Have a look at these. The first i visited last week and am considering a buy. Pleanty of other developments around Mandurah and most are walking distance to the ocean.

http://www.portbouvardrealestate.com...ertyid=2364195

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...levance-random
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
My guess is someone who has visited one or two places in Mandurah. Also, by recomending Tapping is someone who thinks the burbs are heaven. Perth itself is full of people who are Hyasynth Bucket. Sometimes i struggle to styffle the giggles as i walk through places like Subi.

Have a look at these. The first i visited last week and am considering a buy. Pleanty of other developments around Mandurah and most are walking distance to the ocean.

http://www.portbouvardrealestate.com...ertyid=2364195

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...levance-random
That townhouse is awful for $750K, the BBQ/outdoor area overlooks the neighbours garages and alleyway, surely you could do better with your money. No garden, OK if you a retiree with no kids and like golf.

What are the local schools like BTW, as this is important, I don't want my kids to leave school and struggle with their spelling!!!!

Last edited by pomtastic; Jun 3rd 2010 at 7:09 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

That townhouse is awful for $750K, the BBQ/outdoor area overlooks the neighbours garages and alleyway, surely you could do better with your money. No garden, OK if you a retiree with no kids and like golf. What are the local schools like BTW?
I'd pay $300k max for that place.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
I'd pay $300k max for that place.
Mandurah has dropped in price by about 20-25% over the last couple of years so I'm struggling to understand why that place costs so much.

Anyhow, after a quick look on REIWA, this one, same no. of bedrooms and bathrooms in same development, $200K cheaper @ $549K, BBQ area still overlooks the alleyway and garages though .

http://reiwa.com.au/lst/lst-ressale-...lle&ID=2467560
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:33 am
(It's not my real name)

Mandurah has dropped in price by about 20-25% over the last couple of years.
I'm not surprised, it's a mosquito ridden swamp.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 7:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

$750k for that?????? WTH, are they taking the piss? That's outrageous Is that normal over there? Blood and sand, I'm in shock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.