Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! How do I get a carseat from the UK to Brisbane cheaply?

Originally Posted by HazBean
Unfortunately, for a parcel the size of a car seat they would calculate it by volumetric weight, which would be around 40kg and 250+ pounds.

Only worth it if you can stuff other valuable items, like Jaffa Cakes, into the same box.
I recently paid 59 quid for a 6.2 kg box containing wallpaper door to door in 5 days.The lampshade that I thought was a bargain for 20 pounds isnt a bargain as they were going to chareg me on volume.Its still at my sisters house.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HazBean
I think the Romer Kidfix at babycare.nl is the same as the model as the Britax evolva 1-2-3 plus (might not be plus model?). Costs eur 169 + 65 delivery, so 213 pounds or au$ 378 - ouch!
According to www.britax-roemer.de/auto-kindersitze you may be right.

Do Britax own all the car seat companies ?

Old Oct 17th 2009, 7:24 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
According to www.britax-roemer.de/auto-kindersitze you may be right.

Do Britax own all the car seat companies ?
Even if it is the same physically, if it isn't AU approved then you're back at square one.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:24 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
Even if it is the same physically, if it isn't AU approved then you're back at square one.
I think the OP underestimates the consequence of her actions

Its not a $50 parking fine

Insurance companies love to find any excuse. Lets see $800 per night for 3 weeks?? without insurance? The $100k lost on property will be chicken feed.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370

Same with motorcycle helmets - they must have the Australian Standards sign on, or your insurance is invalidated.

Also, am I the only person here that finds it a little irksome that somebody rocks up to somebody else's country and then decides to pick and choose which laws they obey through some inflated sense of existence because as somebody from another country they obviously know much better and more than the locals?

S
Old Oct 17th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Same with motorcycle helmets - they must have the Australian Standards sign on, or your insurance is invalidated.

Also, am I the only person here that finds it a little irksome that somebody rocks up to somebody else's country and then decides to pick and choose which laws they obey through some inflated sense of existence because as somebody from another country they obviously know much better and more than the locals?

S
Nope, I am with you on that completely....but don't worry, the OP is apparently above the law because she is well connected and knows a judge in the UK who will represent her in court if need be.......

Love

Rudi
x
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:48 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

S
From one of the apparently "over protective parent" gang...I couldn't agree more...its like pulling my nails down a black board....
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gems
Hi,

Im also not impressed with Aussie car seats, sorry but my Maxi Cosi car seats were way better for baby and older seat.

Australian mums are actually importing Maxi Cosi car seats and other car seats and prams from Europe here. They too are obviously flouting the law then.

If you can get a relative to buy and get the courier to pick up:

This place was recommend by some Aussie mums, as its about the cheapest to ship and they have been getting prams and car seats from the UK in about 3 days http://www.parcel2go.com/
Also mentioned this place for cheap shipping:
http://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk/

* This place sells a lot of European brands and will ship to Australia. Recommend by mums in Australia who have used them. Also can be cheaper than buying here.
http://www.babycare.nl/

I have heard Maxi Cosi are going through testing to bring their car seats over here. But dont know how long this takes.

Also ebay sellers will often ship to Australia. Buy new though.

Gems
I do hear what you say as it was my first concern when I was looking at car seats. I did read somewhere than seat belts can fail in a crash and this is why there are anchor points in the US and Australia. i guess what I am saying is there might be benefits in both.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

pps. I might be returning to the UK and I can't wait to get my hands on 5 point harnesses in boosters. Will help me get my 3 kids buckled in without me scraping my hand and pulling a muscle to get in between the seats to reach the belts.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:47 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
pps. I might be returning to the UK and I can't wait to get my hands on 5 point harnesses in boosters. Will help me get my 3 kids buckled in without me scraping my hand and pulling a muscle to get in between the seats to reach the belts.
If in a booster surely they are capable of clipping the seat belt in unaided?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

wednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant future

Sorry OP but the law is the law.

You do not have the right to decide which laws you fancy upholding and which ones you would like to ignore.

My head is quite important to me so, as I ride a motorbike, I decided to buy a very good helmet. I paid 500 pounds foir an Aria Gold approved helmet in the UK. It is now more use as a flower pot as If I am caught wearing it I will be fined and given 3 demerit points. I would also have no insurance should I be involved in an accident. I would actaully be charged with the offence of not wearing a helmet at all, if caught.

I have had to buy an inferior, but cheaper helmet, that is AU approved.

You will have to do the same.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:41 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the substantiation for this stream of "ZOMG all yor insurances will be invalidated for any approval failure!!!!" posts?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Where is the substantiation for this stream of "ZOMG all yor insurances will be invalidated for any approval failure!!!!" posts?
From InsureMyRide.com.au:

Re. helmets:

Make sure your prospective purchase has its Australian Standards' AS/NZ1698 sticker on it – all new helmets sold in Australia must have this sticker to be legal, so this is something to bear in mind if you're considering buying a helmet overseas. Having the AS/NZ1698 sticker simply means it conforms to all the relevant standards of protection required by Australian law. There are various other foreign standards around such as Snell and British Motorcycle Sports' Gold Badge, but it's got to have that AS/NZ1698 sticker to be legal in Oz.

S
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=zenamethyst;8020456]If it got to that point i have a high court judge who's married to my cousin back in the uk who's legally able to represent me in court in australia [QUOTE]

Even if he is a High Court Judge in the UK, you would only have one representitive, while insurance companies can roll out heaps of lawyers, solicitors, QC's etc, especially if you have not complied with the legislation. I hope you'll have plenty of financial backing.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:55 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Have you ever had to deal with insurance company's in the event of a claim? If there's a get out clause they'll take it.

I think you may have also missed the point of many replies which have come from concerned parents (me included), why is the OP trying to get around the laws of the country they've moved to just to save a few bucks? If their insurance company decided not to pay out over something like a car seat and their child was seriously injured then wouldn't the extra few bucks and peace of mind knowing that you've covered all bases seem like a good investment, than the possible cost of round the clock care and everything else that goes with an horrific injury?

Call it scare mongering, call it what you like..... I know what I'd be doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.