Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

help Hervey Bay or Sydney?????????

help Hervey Bay or Sydney?????????

Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Re: help Hervey Bay or Sydney?????????

Just to add to the thread. We live in Hervey Bay, been here just over a year. I agree decent jobs in this area are quite hard to come by. Having said that my husband found a job in 3 weeks, he works for the local water authority. Pay is about half he was on in the UK - but house prices are really affordable. Beaches as fantastic and all really safe for kids. (Mine are down there now with there mates). Lots of little shops, cafes and bars along the esplanade really make it feel like your on your holidays. There is quite a large older population here, but I think with so many new housing estates going up around the Bay the balance is changing.
We went to Sydney for a long weekend a couple of months ago. Really nice place, just like any other big city in the world really, but couldnt live there.
Give me HB any day.

Angela
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:39 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by goosefat
Hi

Can any one help please?

We have set our hearts on Hervey Bay as we have 2 little girls age 4 & 5 . And would like the way of life . But Ive been offered my dream job in Sydney . I would need to go to Crows Nest , twice a week only . The rest of the time I would be on the road . I would have a salary of approx 75,000 dollars p.a plus bonus. But hubby no job yet . He drives a fork truck at the minute. We are heading to oz , Jan 09 . I have looked at some nice child friendly areas out side Sydney , but the rentals seem to be sooo ! expensive . To buy also seems near on impossible . Will have about 100k to put down on a new house . But it all seems to expensive for the child friendly areas. Does any one have any ideas on areas that would be nice for us ? Or shall we stick to the plan of Hervey bay ? I just dont want to be working just to pay bills and be worse off than now .

Any information or ideas would be much loved .

Thanks

Tam

Hervey Bay is 3 hours drive from Brisbane airport.

Look on this site for current job listings in HB http://www.jseeker.com.au/jobs/l-hervey+bay.html

As mentioned in previous recent posts there is going to be a mass injection of investment in HB. The marina is going to be doubled costing AUD$ 800million, there is also going to be a large resort built and a huge water park not too far away.

There are many young families moving into the area because there are more people of an older generation living there, therefore there is no or very little vandlism, crimes or anything else. Everywhere is well looked after and clean.

Personally I have had enough of rude, illmannered people who don't want to even say hello. Plus the roudy yob eliment, litter and everything else which goes with it.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:43 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Hi

I looked at the sunshine coast also ,it looks fab ! But was drawn to the property prices in Hervey bay. And the slow life for the kids. They say its up and coming though ? Do you know any thing about the development there? But the work situation my be a stumbling block . We dont care we will wash boats as long as we are happy .!! lol!
Just feel torn with my job offer , dont want to make the wrong choice about living in Sydney or NSW . The kids would have to move schools again .
I am a hairdresser / Beauty Therapist . There seems to be quite a few shops in and around Hervey Bay . Still dont know . Maybe like you said need to visit both places .

Thanks again for you help Surferboy and pc pom. And every one else.

Tam
I think there are currenlty at least 3 hairdressers required in HB look on the job site.

http://www.jseeker.com.au/jobs/l-hervey+bay.html
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Hervey Bay is 3 hours drive from Brisbane airport.

Look on this site for current job listings in HB http://www.jseeker.com.au/jobs/l-hervey+bay.html

As mentioned in previous recent posts there is going to be a mass injection of investment in HB. The marina is going to be doubled costing AUD$ 800million, there is also going to be a large resort built and a huge water park not too far away.

There are many young families moving into the area because there are more people of an older generation living there, therefore there is no or very little vandlism, crimes or anything else. Everywhere is well looked after and clean.

Personally I have had enough of rude, illmannered people who don't want to even say hello. Plus the roudy yob eliment, litter and everything else which goes with it.
Hi ray2gill ,

Thanks for the info, thanks for taking the time to pass it on . I really do think we will be coming to H.B. . It seems to be ticking all the boxes . I have been offered a part time job in H.B. So thats a start . We will find a nice place to rent im sure . Do you have any ideas about the schools pls ? I know ther are good and bad ones . Would like to make the right choice 1st time for the schools .

Thanks Tam
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cookster
Just to add to the thread. We live in Hervey Bay, been here just over a year. I agree decent jobs in this area are quite hard to come by. Having said that my husband found a job in 3 weeks, he works for the local water authority. Pay is about half he was on in the UK - but house prices are really affordable. Beaches as fantastic and all really safe for kids. (Mine are down there now with there mates). Lots of little shops, cafes and bars along the esplanade really make it feel like your on your holidays. There is quite a large older population here, but I think with so many new housing estates going up around the Bay the balance is changing.
We went to Sydney for a long weekend a couple of months ago. Really nice place, just like any other big city in the world really, but couldnt live there.
Give me HB any day.

Angela
Hi Angela,

I spoke to you last year , thanks for the info again . You seem to be getting on fine in H.B. Brilliant! I read your post about Sydney . I think I will feel the same . We want , safe , happy , realxing and a bit of work . Paradise. Its driving me mad now just want to be there . Six months seems to be like a life time . I currently have my own salon here , do you think the market would be up and coming enough there ? I dont mind either way will be nice to work for someone any way .lol .

Take Care

Tam
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Morning Tam,
Good to hear from you.
Are you kidding 6 months will fly past!!!
I have a few hairdresser friends, 2 of which are mobile and have work coming out of the ears, and are actually turning work down. 1 friend only works 3 days a week out of choice but she says she could work 7 if she wanted too. Only problem is it would get in the way of our weekly luches and coffee meets!!!
Angela
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

PC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nicePC Pom is just really nice

Tam, I think you're making the right choice. Hervey Bay has been voted the best place to live in Australia countless times, so that says a lot. That's one of the reasons why we were quite happy to buy a holiday home there. And there's a severe lack of mindless vandalism that you often find in the bigger cities.

And if it doesn't work out well for you, drive a few hours down the coast and check out the Sunshine Coast region. Again, another wonderful part of Queensland.

Paul.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:50 am
The Brains

Hi ray2gill ,

Thanks for the info, thanks for taking the time to pass it on . I really do think we will be coming to H.B. . It seems to be ticking all the boxes . I have been offered a part time job in H.B. So thats a start . We will find a nice place to rent im sure . Do you have any ideas about the schools pls ? I know ther are good and bad ones . Would like to make the right choice 1st time for the schools .

Thanks Tam
Hi Tam,

Sorry I can't help with schools as my children are past that age but I am sure someone else will be able to advise you on them.

Just out of interest we drove from Brisbane to Arlie Beach and decided to live in HB 2 years ago. We bought a plot of land on our last day and our house build will be completed 1st week of August. Will be living there from then on.

We can't wait. Fed up with living in big cities with high rise buildings and polution.

Good luck with you decision. Can anyone recommend a good hairdresser in HB. I will need one from mid August?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cookster
Morning Tam,
Good to hear from you.
Are you kidding 6 months will fly past!!!
I have a few hairdresser friends, 2 of which are mobile and have work coming out of the ears, and are actually turning work down. 1 friend only works 3 days a week out of choice but she says she could work 7 if she wanted too. Only problem is it would get in the way of our weekly luches and coffee meets!!!
Angela
Hi Angela ,

wow !!! sounds perfect to me , well apart from missing ladies that do lunch that is lol!!! mobile would be fantastic because then I choose when I work most of the time . Are they earning enough to live on ? And it would take a little while to get going . I might have a start at Headlines . Do you know it ?

I know 6 mths not long , but I would get on the plane now leave everything just so can not wait!!!

Thanks again Angela . Take Care.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Hi Tam,

Sorry I can't help with schools as my children are past that age but I am sure someone else will be able to advise you on them.

Just out of interest we drove from Brisbane to Arlie Beach and decided to live in HB 2 years ago. We bought a plot of land on our last day and our house build will be completed 1st week of August. Will be living there from then on.

We can't wait. Fed up with living in big cities with high rise buildings and polution.

Good luck with you decision. Can anyone recommend a good hairdresser in HB. I will need one from mid August?
Hi ,

Thats fantastic ! Good luck with your new pad . I bet you are so excited . I would be . I know what you mean about the city thing .

But I love London for the weekend , then back to dullsville lol!! perfect.

Yes we will for shore be in H.B by Jan . God willing .

Take Care Tam
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PC Pom
Tam, I think you're making the right choice. Hervey Bay has been voted the best place to live in Australia countless times, so that says a lot. That's one of the reasons why we were quite happy to buy a holiday home there. And there's a severe lack of mindless vandalism that you often find in the bigger cities.

And if it doesn't work out well for you, drive a few hours down the coast and check out the Sunshine Coast region. Again, another wonderful part of Queensland.

Paul.
Hi Paul ,

Do you go to H.B alot ? Would you live there full time ?

I just think its giong to be the best for us , I found it by mistake . My little girl was a mistake and she is Fantastic ! lol .

Thanks Tam
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

My brother and his Australia wife live in Hervey Bay and my brothers wife bought the beauty salon on Fraser Island (in the Kingfisher Bay resort) about a year ago. Goosefat: when it gets nearer the time to you arriving in Oz then message me and I can put you in contact with my sister in law there, if you do end up moving to HB. No guarantees that she'll have a job available at the time but I do know she finds reliable staff sometimes hard to get. X
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
My brother and his Australia wife live in Hervey Bay and my brothers wife bought the beauty salon on Fraser Island (in the Kingfisher Bay resort) about a year ago. Goosefat: when it gets nearer the time to you arriving in Oz then message me and I can put you in contact with my sister in law there, if you do end up moving to HB. No guarantees that she'll have a job available at the time but I do know she finds reliable staff sometimes hard to get. X
Hi ,

Thanks so much , thats really kind of you . I will contact you when I have a date . How long is the journey to Frazer Island from Hervey Bay do you know please?
That would be good . Is she doing well ? Hope so , its hard with starting off . Maybe she will have some thing at the time . Good to know . Will look at the resort also .

Thanks again for your help

Tam
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi ,

Again . Is it Kingfisher Natural Therapy and Beauty? Was just looking at the web site ?

Thanks Tam
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi ,

Thanks so much , thats really kind of you . I will contact you when I have a date . How long is the journey to Frazer Island from Hervey Bay do you know please?
That would be good . Is she doing well ? Hope so , its hard with starting off . Maybe she will have some thing at the time . Good to know . Will look at the resort also .

Thanks again for your help

Tam
Regarding the time it takes to get to Kingfisher.......
Takes my husband 2 hours in his sail boat, and our friend 20 mins in his motor boat!!!!!! Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Angela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.