Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP HELP HELP !!!!!

HELP HELP HELP !!!!!

Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:38 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default HELP HELP HELP !!!!!

Help guys we need some help.

we have a couple of family members over for a visit, one of them has been taken ill and has been diagnosed with an ovarian cist, she has been seen by a doctor and he has sebnt her foe surgery today.

s she is from Russia and is not married to her husband how does this go for the medical treatment?

Do they have to pay for all the medical costs incurred?

Is there a medical agreement between the 2 countries?

We need advice and pretty sharpish, they dnt even have travel insurance!!!!

Please someone give us some info on what to do in this matter, she is going under the knife today we just need to know what the options are.

Thanks

Katsmajic
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

believer will become famous soon enoughbeliever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HELP HELP HELP !!!!!

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Help guys we need some help.

we have a couple of family members over for a visit, one of them has been taken ill and has been diagnosed with an ovarian cist, she has been seen by a doctor and he has sebnt her foe surgery today.

s she is from Russia and is not married to her husband how does this go for the medical treatment?

Do they have to pay for all the medical costs incurred?

Is there a medical agreement between the 2 countries?

We need advice and pretty sharpish, they dnt even have travel insurance!!!!

Please someone give us some info on what to do in this matter, she is going under the knife today we just need to know what the options are.

Thanks

Katsmajic
sorry to hear the news. yes she doesnt have travel or health insurance so yes she needs to pay for everything including medication, tests, bedding, etc.

Medicare has reciprocal health care agreement with:

New Zealand
The United Kingdom
The Republic of Ireland
Sweden
The Netherlands
Finland
Italy
Belgium
Malta
Norway

I dont see Russia there.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If they don't have travel insurance I'd say they have a hefty bill being prepared but I've no idea how it works. Surprised they didn't tell her about costs before sending her for surgery, or even that they didn't want money up front.

Hope she's ok.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

The Russian consulate here may be able to tell you what to do.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

From the DIAC site: Health insurance

It is recommended that you take out health insurance for yourself and your family members each time you travel to Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme, unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. Reciprocal medical arrangements exist with some countries.

As has been said, Russian consulate would have more information: http://www.sydneyrussianconsulate.com/contact2.html
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:08 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
From the DIAC site: Health insurance

It is recommended that you take out health insurance for yourself and your family members each time you travel to Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme, unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia. Reciprocal medical arrangements exist with some countries.

As has been said, Russian consulate would have more information: http://www.sydneyrussianconsulate.com/contact2.html
Thanks for your help guys i will pass on the information that you have given me and get them to give the consulate a call...
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:49 am
broken but got a visa! :

KOH posted all that above...

My bro/family are over - shes russian but bro and the baby are english - he daftly assumed she'd come under his cover as the baby does. (his company provide him with annual very good travel cover).
Its turned out to be appendicitus, all surgery gone well thankfully.
Poor girl is worried sick as although her english is great shes getting really confused and shes panicing about the baby - afterall she's only met us twice before she came over to visit/bring the baby.
This is a make or break visit as my bro desperately wants to be here - he didnt validate his visa in 07 due to falling in love with the now mother of his baby - so hes gone all out to show her how much better it would be to bring the baby up here...
he didnt factor in checking out the health services - but at least so far theyre beating the russian health services hands down.

Nothing goes simply in our house...
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Oh she must have been in so much pain. I hope the bill doesn't hurt too much
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

Hey Kats, don't know whether you remember me but I was with you on the Marchies 07 thread back when we were all applying for our visas. Haven't come across you on here for a while, but all I'm going to say is OMG, things are never straightforward for you guys are they???? Hope the lady gets better soon & it doesn't cost you all too much. Oh, and how's the new life working out???? Jackie x
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:57 pm
broken but got a visa! :

Hi Jackie - good to hear from you, hows life going with you?
Nothing is easy in our house at all lol
Life here is being good to us - we're building our own house etc - i'm now in a job i really like, martin is still trying to settle...in a job he likes
we'll be doing our 2 year update in a cple of weeks, its certainly a rollercoaster and were still riding it

on a massive positive my leg is now great - never be 'normal' but is way better than i was told it would be.

i dont get on here much tbh, way too busy...but when the latest emergency cropped up we knew we'd get advice form the BE members.

Originally Posted by Jackier
Hey Kats, don't know whether you remember me but I was with you on the Marchies 07 thread back when we were all applying for our visas. Haven't come across you on here for a while, but all I'm going to say is OMG, things are never straightforward for you guys are they???? Hope the lady gets better soon & it doesn't cost you all too much. Oh, and how's the new life working out???? Jackie x
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice

Funny that, your experience is a lot like ours - I'm loving my job, but hubby's not so sure. Still love it here though, definitely glad we made the move, it's working out really well.

Glad to hear your leg's so improved, I remember when that happened & how distraught you both were. Just shows a bit of determination goes a long way - all the way to the other side of the world

Hope your house build goes well, post an update sometime

J x