Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP! Have a 5kg Parcel that I need to get from UK to Australia

HELP! Have a 5kg Parcel that I need to get from UK to Australia

Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default HELP! Have a 5kg Parcel that I need to get from UK to Australia

Hi all

I have done a big order of essentials that you can't get over here in Oz and got them sent to my friends house. The 2 boxes come to 5kg in total and I need them asap but couriers are quoting a fortune and i found one online courier broker who uses DHL and would only charge around 45 pounds but i have to be in the uk to register to use this service! My friend is doing me a favour so I don't want to have to put her out really of having to register etc and especially as I need to pay for it! :curse:
What's my best solution? Get her to divide them into 5 boxes of 1kg so the bloody royal mail will accept them?
ANy help most gratefully appreciated
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:05 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default Re: HELP! Have a 5kg Parcel that I need to get from UK to Australia

I use royal mail for parcels upto 2kg and they have gone through fairly quickly.
I posted one last Friday and my daughter received it yesterday (Wednesday morning)!

Their charges are online, I think up to 2kg they are classed as small packets.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future

Hi
I don't want to really have to use royal mail as that means that my friend has to pay for it upfront. If I can find a courier that's reasonable then all she needs to do is re-address the parcels and hand them to the courier. Royal mail will also charge 21 pounds for 2kg so thats over 50 pounds for all 5kg plus extra padded jiffy bags or boxes
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My DH posted two 5kg parcels by surface mail to Aus while we were in UK on holiday and I think they cost L25 each. That is probably still cheaper than a courier service. Surface mail can take aeons though.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Surface mail took 4 and a half months the last few parcels! Xmas presents arrived in may!!!!!! The stuff I need posting is face care stuff and herbal medicine so will go off/deteriorate and won't see it until 2009! God knows where it goes and why it takes so long. I think the blinin royal mail is the only way to go as keep getting quotes for 127, 150, 196 pounds!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know if staples still do this but they use to do a courier service they used dhl but was not as expensive as dhl maybe worth a try if there is a staples shop near to your friend

uk it cost £10.00 for anything upto 15kilos that was anywhere in the uk to delivered - they also did international
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
Surface mail took 4 and a half months the last few parcels! Xmas presents arrived in may!!!!!! The stuff I need posting is face care stuff and herbal medicine so will go off/deteriorate and won't see it until 2009! God knows where it goes and why it takes so long. I think the blinin royal mail is the only way to go as keep getting quotes for 127, 150, 196 pounds!
Use a shipping company like SevenSeas or Excess Baggage Co but get them to do Air freight rather than Surface. Not much slower than a courier and should be a lot cheaper.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Excess baggage quoted me around £200 for 2 bikes, 2 large boxes, my TV and computer. So not bad if you ask me.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Bharat is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried Parcel2Go ?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Jarvl will become famous soon enoughJarvl will become famous soon enough

Hi all

I have done a big order of essentials that you can't get over here in Oz and got them sent to my friends house. The 2 boxes come to 5kg in total and I need them asap but couriers are quoting a fortune and i found one online courier broker who uses DHL and would only charge around 45 pounds but i have to be in the uk to register to use this service! My friend is doing me a favour so I don't want to have to put her out really of having to register etc and especially as I need to pay for it! :curse:
What's my best solution? Get her to divide them into 5 boxes of 1kg so the bloody royal mail will accept them?
ANy help most gratefully appreciated
We have used http://www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/index.php,
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:23 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Even Couriers charge upfront! Better off with Royal Mail IMO.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:32 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philnorris
Excess baggage quoted me around £200 for 2 bikes, 2 large boxes, my TV and computer. So not bad if you ask me.
I can't remember prices cos its been a while, but I sent some boxes out by air freight 5 years ago, took about 4 days door to door, and it was quite a reasonable price. That was with Excess Baggage too
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:11 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I think the blinin royal mail is the only way to go as keep getting quotes for 127, 150, 196 pounds!
Try ParcelForce instead of Royal Mail.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:51 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jarvl
We used these guys as well this week - 78GBP for a 10kg box, picked up on Monday UK time and delivered Thursday in Oz. You will need to email the paperwork to your friend for him / her to print out, but you can do all the payment online yourself.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:20 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by ridds
We used these guys as well this week - 78GBP for a 10kg box, picked up on Monday UK time and delivered Thursday in Oz. You will need to email the paperwork to your friend for him / her to print out, but you can do all the payment online yourself.
They look quite good actually, may come in handy for my next shopping trip home! I take it you were happy with the service?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.