Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

Old May 9th 2009, 4:53 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by perksy
Regarding the £1 fee. Please make sure you don't send £1 cash. The simple fact that many DCA's will use the cash as a payment towards the alleged debt. Make sure the £1 payment is in the form of a cheque or PO with an explanation written on there as to what the payment is for. Also take a photocopy of this.

Also on the sample letter, under no circumstances sign the letter. Simply print your name e.g MR F SMITH. DCA's have been known to scan your signature and add it onto credit agreement documents. Yes it does happen!!

Good luck
That's a good bit of advice because if they are able to put the £1 against the debt then they'll be able to claim that you acknowlege it. ...The little devils!

It might even be a good idea to get someone else to write out a £1 cheque.
Old May 10th 2009, 1:53 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP !!! Being chased for wrongly accused debt after 3 yrs in oz!!!!!!!!

I would suspect a scam, like others above.
Old May 10th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Regarding the £1 fee. Please make sure you don't send £1 cash. The simple fact that many DCA's will use the cash as a payment towards the alleged debt. Make sure the £1 payment is in the form of a cheque or PO with an explanation written on there as to what the payment is for. Also take a photocopy of this.

Also on the sample letter, under no circumstances sign the letter. Simply print your name e.g MR F SMITH. DCA's have been known to scan your signature and add it onto credit agreement documents. Yes it does happen!!

Good luck

Surely if you don't want them to scan your signature then you don't want to send a cheque that you have signed either? A postal order or cheque from someone elses account sounds better.
Old May 10th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Again I find myself posting this

http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?...ewtopic&t=9936

Please read it
Old May 10th 2009, 12:32 pm
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rossi
Again I find myself posting this

http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?...ewtopic&t=9936

Please read it
Thanks..this is a great link....
Old May 10th 2009, 1:02 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by luchi
Just rec'd letter saying I owe a bank in UK $800 .....the facts are: left UK 3 yrs ago, left not owing anyone, never been in debt, would pay it if I did owe, now being chased and need help please.

I will write back to Oz debt agency, but wondering if any one else has been in this situation and wondered what to do...apart from writing "without prejudice" on the letter and explain that I do not know of any debt I owe, ask them for evidence of what debt relates to etc.

what rights do I have and want to get this cleared....any suggestions??
Can you get hold of the bank that you think it might be to do with and find out if they know anything about it?

(as well as writing to the Oz debt agency).

If it is a scam the UK bank may already be aware of it.