Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help with Areas to live in near Bankstown

Help with Areas to live in near Bankstown

Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Louise Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Areas to live in near Bankstown

We are moving over in December and my husband has a job in Bankstown, Sydney. We are looking to rent then buy in the Elderslie, Mt Annan, casula area. How would you rate these areas? Or is there any other areas near Bankstown you would recommend? I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Louise
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all
Default Re: Help with Areas to live in near Bankstown

bankstown has a bit of a rough reputation. i work there but live away. reasonable areas are picnic point, revesby, padstow, menai is further south but has poor transport links. camden, bowral, east hills. deffo avoid yagoona, bass hill, condell park, minto, airds, ingleburn, liverpool and its subs. if you want to buy property look outside sydney and get good value. bankstown is good for shopping with a big centro shopping complex. it has a reasonable hospital in comparrison to other sydney hospitals. good coffee at emporium and reflections(centro). large arab/greek community. hope this helps.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:28 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

You could consider Sutherland Shire. It is a little bit further south, but the drive isn't bad. My husband works at Hurstville and commutes easily from Sutherland Shire. It is a lovely area, less crowded than the other areas. Alfords Point, Illawong, Menai and Barden Ridge are all areas that we looked at, and would be easily commutable, although I don't think the public transport is so good, so he would need to drive. It would be a longer drive from some of the other areas, but still only 40 minutes or so.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
You could consider Sutherland Shire. It is a little bit further south, but the drive isn't bad. My husband works at Hurstville and commutes easily from Sutherland Shire. It is a lovely area, less crowded than the other areas. Alfords Point, Illawong, Menai and Barden Ridge are all areas that we looked at, and would be easily commutable, although I don't think the public transport is so good, so he would need to drive. It would be a longer drive from some of the other areas, but still only 40 minutes or so.
100% agree. I worked in Revesby (next area to Bankstown). No way you want to live in Bankstown unless you are Arabic origin.

The Sutherland Shire is lovely and not just because I live there! All the above are good areas in the Shire, plus Loftus, Kirrawee, Gymea etc - any further towards Cronulla and the traffic would be a bit more of a hassle.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:36 am
Just Joined

Louise Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Help with Areas to live in near Bankstown

Do you mean Camden is okay?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:22 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

oh come on, I lived in Sefton once for a short time. we had white neighbours either side. It was usually safe to go out during daylight hours. I was just lucky enough not to go out on the day we had the rape up round the corner and by luck avouded a murder as well. I used to woalk to the shops at Chester Hill and back and am still alive. Shoped in Bankstown all the time. Just get somwhere with a BIG fence adn some nice doggies.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Bankstown and most of those surrounding areas are very Lebanese, if you don't know what that means just bring your own flak jacket cos at times its like Beirut.

Camden & Mt. Annan not a bad area but I have a friend who bought a 4BR house on a great block for like $410K last year you get good value for your $$..... but personally I reckon it could be one of the few areas in Sydney that would be affected in a property slump (if it ever happens) its miles from the city but quite rural as well. The closest shopping area is Campbelltown which is Bogan central.