help!!

Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help!!

No need to use an agent if you meet the criteria for the visa and don't have complications with family/child custody. I would save myself the money.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateanderin
Queensland health recommend an employmebt sponsored visa which would mean having tobe offered a job first. They can also help with relocation expenses such as airfares and temporary accommodation.
I am more than happy to get a different visa. And yes, I do have permission to take my child. I am hoping to work in the community rather than a hospital so that I'll work office type hours.
My dog has everything he needs to go and I can't believe how expensive it is to take him. He's worth it though.
Thanks for all your replies. I'm finding it all a bit daunting and appreciate any help and advice.
Office hours jobs? You may find it difficult to arrive and walk into a sought after position.... Australian health care is a totally different culture/set up... You may want to get some understanding of it before heading out into the community?
Old Aug 1st 2013, 1:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked into independent skilled visas (189) and yhis seems applicable to me. I am a little concernd about the time it takes to obtain this visa as my nursing registration is due to lapseend may 2014. I will contact AHPRA and see if I can eextend this until I have my visa. Having read the government website it seems confusing. Do you think I'd be bettr going through an agency or independently? An agent seeems to charge between £2 and £3000.
It's alot on top of visa fees and costs for my dog.
if you were registered in Queensland and your registration was transferred to AHPRA then you can renew it without being here. You should get notified shortly before it expires and you can just go online and renew it.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:33 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was a shortage of mental health nurses in Australia?
Should have msde the move years ago! !!.... would you suggest moving Perth?
Thankd for your help. X
Hi Kate

I'm a mental health nurse and I was all set to go to Qld until the health freeze. I registered with AHPRA in Qld.
I am now in NSW and loving it. The only problem with NSW is that, on a 457 visa, you have to pay school fees. I have it in writing that they will sponsor me for PR after 3 months but as a single parent you may find it difficult unless you budget for it.

Edit to say: don't bother with an agent. You can do it yourself and save money. Advice is always available on here

Last edited by Kapri; Aug 1st 2013 at 10:37 am.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:34 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Office hours jobs? You may find it difficult to arrive and walk into a sought after position.... Australian health care is a totally different culture/set up... You may want to get some understanding of it before heading out into the community?
I have a community job working Monday to Friday
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I have a community job working Monday to Friday
Did you go straight into the community when you arrived?
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:02 pm
Happy migrant

Did you go straight into the community when you arrived?
Yep, only been here 3 weeks
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kapri
Yep, only been here 3 weeks
YAY... Well done you... You're VERY lucky... It can be hard to find family friendly hours in nursing... Even mental health
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

kateanderin will become famous soon enoughkateanderin will become famous soon enough

Hi Kapri,
I have my registration in principle and it is dependent upon a visa and au address. It expires in may. Looking at 189 visas abd they take about 18 months. Can I renew or extend my nursing registration? How did you get your job/ visa?
Please could you give me step by step instructions?
Lol. This is not something I'm good at. Do you mind me asking how much schooling costs as I need to budget? I am so determined to do this but I don't have a bottomless pot of money.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:08 am
Happy migrant

YAY... Well done you... You're VERY lucky... It can be hard to find family friendly hours in nursing... Even mental health
I know, I'm very happy. I didn't want to go back to shifts
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:15 am
Happy migrant

Hi Kapri,
I have my registration in principle and it is dependent upon a visa and au address. It expires in may. Looking at 189 visas abd they take about 18 months. Can I renew or extend my nursing registration? How did you get your job/ visa?
Please could you give me step by step instructions?
Lol. This is not something I'm good at. Do you mind me asking how much schooling costs as I need to budget? I am so determined to do this but I don't have a bottomless pot of money.
Hi Kate
I think you would have to request an extension from AHPRA but I've read mixed things about that on here. My guess is they would only grant a small extension in certain circumstances but don't quote me on that.
I got my job by looking on the NSW health job website and applying for the job. I put in my application that I was registered with AHPRA but that I would require sponsorship. They contacted me, interviewed me by phone, then sponsored me on a 457 visa. I asked for PR and they said they could only bring people over on a 457 but that if both parties were happy after 3 months, they would sponsor me for PR.
Re: schooling, I know that the NSW government will waive fees in certain cases, ie, if it would cause severe financial hardship. If you are a single mother, you may be eligible but you would have to look into it as I know some people who didn't have to pay, and others that did.
Hope this helps, any questions, just ask

P.S, have a look at the nursing section of the site - it's very helpful and you can post any nursing queries there

Last edited by Kapri; Aug 4th 2013 at 5:18 am. Reason: More info
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

kateanderin will become famous soon enoughkateanderin will become famous soon enough

Hi Kapri,

I've a telephone interview Wednesday at midnight!
How long did your interview take and can you recommend anything I should be reading up on?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Ps.
The job is in NSW.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:19 am
Happy migrant

Hi Kapri,

I've a telephone interview Wednesday at midnight!
How long did your interview take and can you recommend anything I should be reading up on?
Yay, great news

What is the job? What kind of team?

Recovery is big news in NSW as it was in the UK, so I would read up on that.
In my interview, they wanted to know things like: had I managed a caseload before, had I used computerised notes etc.
They ask scenarios, so it's always about least restrictive option, collaborative care etc.
I think you are doing the right thing. NSW has a much better mental health system than QLD from what I've heard.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks! I'm so excited. Its with assertive outreach but I've had to withdraw cause they work until 10 at night and also weekends. Big problem with childcare. The manager has sent my info to a community team with better hours so fingers crossed. In the meantime I'm going to apply for permanent residency. I've booked ILEITS next week. Did you have to do it? Did you get any help with relocation expenses?