Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heavy Taxes if you Rent out Propery in the UK

Heavy Taxes if you Rent out Propery in the UK

Old May 17th 2008, 10:05 am
Just Joined

debs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nicedebs66 is just really nice
Default Heavy Taxes if you Rent out Propery in the UK

Hi Guys

Can somebody please advise me we are certainly going to consider renting out our property now when we move out to Oz due to the housing market etc.

Something was said in a previous thread that heavy taxes are placed on you when you move out to Oz whilst renting a property in the UK. Can someone please advise me as to how much and is there anyway round this please?

Kind regards

Debbie
Old May 17th 2008, 10:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heavy Taxes if you Rent out Propery in the UK

Originally Posted by debs66
Hi Guys

Can somebody please advise me we are certainly going to consider renting out our property now when we move out to Oz due to the housing market etc.

Something was said in a previous thread that heavy taxes are placed on you when you move out to Oz whilst renting a property in the UK. Can someone please advise me as to how much and is there anyway round this please?

Kind regards

Debbie
The rental income is considered as part of your annual worldwide income and taxed accordingly.

There may be ways to offset some of the costs involved.
Old May 19th 2008, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice

Hi there,

If you're going to be non resident for tax purposes in the UK, ie out of the country for more than 1 tax year, you can apply for non resident landlord status which means rental income is not taxed. Your letting agent will give you the paperwork or you can download it yourself from the Revenue and Customs website. Make sure that you have the approval in place before you actually rent out as it can be a bit of a pain to get the money back if it's taken mistakenly by the agent.

Also, consider doing a P85 if you leave mid way through a UK tax year as you may be entitled to an income tax refund. Again, you can download the form from the website.

The situation may change depending on whether you rent or buy in Australia but I'm sure that I read somewhere that if you're making a loss on your UK rental (eg having to top up the rent to cover the mortgage), that can be offset agaist your Aussie tax. Presumably you would have to claim it back via an Aussie tax return after the event.

HTH,

Edna
Old May 19th 2008, 1:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
Hi there,

If you're going to be non resident for tax purposes in the UK, ie out of the country for more than 1 tax year, you can apply for non resident landlord status which means rental income is not taxed. Your letting agent will give you the paperwork or you can download it yourself from the Revenue and Customs website. Make sure that you have the approval in place before you actually rent out as it can be a bit of a pain to get the money back if it's taken mistakenly by the agent.

Also, consider doing a P85 if you leave mid way through a UK tax year as you may be entitled to an income tax refund. Again, you can download the form from the website.

The situation may change depending on whether you rent or buy in Australia but I'm sure that I read somewhere that if you're making a loss on your UK rental (eg having to top up the rent to cover the mortgage), that can be offset agaist your Aussie tax. Presumably you would have to claim it back via an Aussie tax return after the event.

HTH,

Edna
Thats pretty much as I am doing it. Got the form from IR and they have replied to me and my UK rental agent that I am not liable to my UK house rental income being taxed. Not too sure about recovering funds as a tax loss as that might mean extra hassle with ATO but a tax consultant can give you impartial advice on that one. I have a slight issue in that as I am on a 457 Visa I have to have a bottom level of taxable income, after LAFHA, Supr, Novated lease etc, and so any reduction of that causes invalidity of my Visa, otherwise I could get my taxable income down real low!
Old May 19th 2008, 1:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debs66

Normal taxes, yes.

"Heavy taxes" ... unclear what you mean.