Reload this Page >

Heating Melbourne

Heating Melbourne

Old May 4th 2004, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heating Melbourne

Ok.. It's getting cold

I am being too lazy to bother with the coonara!!
The options availiable to me are
1) LPG Heaters
2) Reverse cycle air conditioners plus NoBo heaters
3) LPG Hydronic Heating
3) Off peak storage heating - any help on this would be great!!!!!

does anybody have any experience with these and the approx running costs?

Thanks
Old May 4th 2004, 4:31 am
rudo1ph

I looked into this quite a lot after having spent 2 months freezing when we first moved into our house!!!

My initial thought was that storage heaters would be fab - they are cheap to run etc. However, they are very expensive to buy and not very popular.

We don't have gas here - I could have gone for bottled gas and had gas heaters, but that would only really have sorted out the downstairs. Besides, I have 3 young children and did not want gas fires. Don't know about the Hydronic heating you mentioned.

In the end we went for a reverse cycle ducted system. I have only decided to have it fed down to two of the downstairs rooms and all the bedrooms (got those heat globes in the bathrooms).....did not want to start taking corners off the bedrooms to drop the ducts downstairs. I can happily say that I no longer have to shivver when I get up in the morning!!! It is very efficient at heating the house. However, it was expensive to have installed and I should imagine it will be expensive to run - but hey - I want to be warm!!! What is the NoBo thing you mentioned??!!!

If you want to PM me for some more info then please do - there's all sorts of stuff about sizing of systems that I looked into - it is important not to undersize you system - some installers do this to make their quote seem cheaper when infact it will not do the job.

Old May 4th 2004, 4:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Heating Melbourne

Originally posted by Clare Everest
Ok.. It's getting cold

I am being too lazy to bother with the coonara!!
The options availiable to me are
1) LPG Heaters
2) Reverse cycle air conditioners plus NoBo heaters
3) LPG Hydronic Heating
3) Off peak storage heating - any help on this would be great!!!!!

does anybody have any experience with these and the approx running costs?

Thanks
When we were in NSW, I tried a Gas fire, but it didn't work that well. To much heat close up to the fire, but not enough spread around the house.

In the next house we had Reverse cycle air conditioners, 2 of them, 1 at each end of the house, and they worked very well keeping most of the areas warm. Our Electric bills in this house averaged $175 -$350 per quarter, so I would estimate about $50-$75 per month on heating ?

Up here in QLD we just have one small Reverse cycle air conditioner upstairs to keep the bedrooms warm, that seemed sufficient last winter. Haven't needed it yet we've only just turned off the ceiling fans !

Off peak storage we used to have in the UK, but I never liked it then, maybe it is better these days ?

Old May 4th 2004, 4:53 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I try insisting to the wife that gas central heating in bed is all we need and that we should have curry and eggs for dinner. Still haven't convinced her and I wonder why.
Old May 4th 2004, 6:05 am
wombat42

Many People in the UK think its hot every day in Australia but if you are going to be living in Victoria, Tasmania or NSW, the winters can be just as cold as the Uk and you need heating.

Old May 4th 2004, 6:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by wombat42
Many People in the UK think its hot every day in Australia but if you are going to be living in Victoria, Tasmania or NSW, the winters can be just as cold as the Uk and you need heating.
Absolutely. Daytime temperatures can vary between -0 and 30, on the same day, depending where you are.

It even gets cold in QLD !
They sell electric heaters up here too

Old May 5th 2004, 2:20 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rudo1ph
Don't know about the Hydronic heating you mentioned.

He He. Hydronic heating is what you would have had in the UK. i.e wall mounted radiators with hot water running through them.
Old May 5th 2004, 2:22 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by jayr
He He. Hydronic heating is what you would have had in the UK. i.e wall mounted radiators with hot water running through them.

Duh!!! Thank you!!! OOOO I do miss my radiators!!!! Where am I going to dry my washing this winter

Old May 5th 2004, 2:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The jumper went on last night. I guess I will get used to it. Nice and sunny now though.
Old May 5th 2004, 2:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Yeah, but they cost more. I got a rough quote of a thousand bucks PER rad

My coonaras been on for a week now
Old May 5th 2004, 2:28 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by hevs

This is a whole new language!!! What's a coonara??!!!!!

And what about the NoBo's from the original post!!!

Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, i might know what hydronic heating is but what is a coonara?
rudo1ph

EDIT!!! Glad I'm not the only ignoramous around here

Old May 5th 2004, 2:30 am
rudo1ph

Old May 5th 2004, 2:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Its THE generic wood burning stove. It also has a fan that blows the heat around madley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.