Reload this Page >

Health and safety roles

Health and safety roles

Old Dec 29th 2023, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Alexsmith1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health and safety roles

Hi all,

I hope your all well and are enjoying the festive/new year period.

I’m looking to come over to Australia in the next two years with my family. I have been doing health and safety for about 18 months in the construction and rail industry but have around 12 years previous experience in the rail overall in supervisory positions. I’m currently working for a tier 1 supplier in both construction and rail and have worked on major projects for over a decade.

I have my nebosh general certificate, Iosh managing safely and am about to start a level 6 national diploma. I haven’t got a degree and wont be doing one as I’m in my early 30’s now and with my experience in construction/rail I haven’t needed it over here.

I know for PR purposes, a bachelor’s is required so that rules that route out. I’m hoping by the time I apply I’ll have 2.5 to 3 years of pure health and safety experience.

In your opinion, have I got a decent chance of getting a sponsored visa ? I’ve got a migration agent booked for next month but thought it would be worth a go to get some information from yourselves.

Thanks in advance !

Alex
Old Feb 6th 2024, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

William817 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health and safety roles

Hi Alex,

Shame nobody's replied. Looking for some answers myself.

I am Health and Safety Manager in Construction looking to make the move to Australia too. Early stages for me, just looking at what options i have.

Did you manage to find any answers to your query?

Kind regards

Will
Old Feb 6th 2024, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Alexsmith1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by William817
Hi Alex,

Shame nobody's replied. Looking for some answers myself.

I am Health and Safety Manager in Construction looking to make the move to Australia too. Early stages for me, just looking at what options i have.

Did you manage to find any answers to your query?

Kind regards

Will
Hi Will !

yes it is a real shame, I suppose it’s quite niche maybe ? I’ve not had much luck to be honest, it seems to be people who know others already there that get a look in before others, or maybe I’ve just had bad luck ? It’s frustrating as there are lots of roles available, it just seems to be Aus citizens or PR as opposed to offshore 482 etc however I do understand it’s a big leap for an employer.

I know some of the regional work is easily available and I have been offered a few jobs but literally in the armpit of the universe that I wouldn’t be comfortable uprooting my family for.

my advice would be to just keep applying, some people wait years but you only need that one opportunity to get a look in. I’m not sure if there are any other routes available to you ?

In any case, I really wish you the best of luck and fingers crossed you will have something soon.

if you do manage to crack it, please feel free to let me know ! Emphasis on the please !

Kind regards,

Alex
Old Feb 6th 2024, 7:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexsmith1
Hi Will !

yes it is a real shame, I suppose it’s quite niche maybe ? I’ve not had much luck to be honest, it seems to be people who know others already there that get a look in before others, or maybe I’ve just had bad luck ? It’s frustrating as there are lots of roles available, it just seems to be Aus citizens or PR as opposed to offshore 482 etc however I do understand it’s a big leap for an employer.

I know some of the regional work is easily available and I have been offered a few jobs but literally in the armpit of the universe that I wouldn’t be comfortable uprooting my family for.

my advice would be to just keep applying, some people wait years but you only need that one opportunity to get a look in. I’m not sure if there are any other routes available to you ?

In any case, I really wish you the best of luck and fingers crossed you will have something soon.

if you do manage to crack it, please feel free to let me know ! Emphasis on the please !

Kind regards,

Alex
I don't recall seeing posts on here from anyone in this kind of role for several years now, I'm afraid.
As you say, there's a lot of "people knowing people" that gets others into roles - thats typical of many areas of employment in Aus, its very much a "who you know" society. Similarly, many Aussies know only too well what working remotely is all about and won't touch those jobs, which is why they are left for people coming in on 482s, and/or those willing to go anywhere on order to get visas. Have you considered FIFO work for you, so the family didn't have to live remotely, at least?

Best of luck to both of you
Old Feb 7th 2024, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexsmith1
Hi all,

I hope your all well and are enjoying the festive/new year period.

I’m looking to come over to Australia in the next two years with my family. I have been doing health and safety for about 18 months in the construction and rail industry but have around 12 years previous experience in the rail overall in supervisory positions. I’m currently working for a tier 1 supplier in both construction and rail and have worked on major projects for over a decade.

I have my nebosh general certificate, Iosh managing safely and am about to start a level 6 national diploma. I haven’t got a degree and wont be doing one as I’m in my early 30’s now and with my experience in construction/rail I haven’t needed it over here.

I know for PR purposes, a bachelor’s is required so that rules that route out. I’m hoping by the time I apply I’ll have 2.5 to 3 years of pure health and safety experience.

In your opinion, have I got a decent chance of getting a sponsored visa ? I’ve got a migration agent booked for next month but thought it would be worth a go to get some information from yourselves.

Thanks in advance !

Alex
Hi my husband is a HSE Manager, we migrated to Australia in a PR visa due to our skills being required at the time (my husband was a JIB approved electrician and a telecoms engineer ) he changed his career whilst in Australia and trained in HSE at TAFE competition for these roles especially based in a city was very strong FIFO was a little bit easier to apply for but by no means ideal and yes my DH had experience of both. We live in the UK now and my husband is currently working in the UK as after leaving Aus his career took him around the globe, he still gets offers of work from Australia but it is always for citizens as like a lot of trades etc Aussies are filling those roles now instead of overseas peoples. Keep and eye on the skills list HSE may come back on or look at British/Irish companies who may have work in Australia but that usually means just you working there for the period of the project and not family, Personally I would not want to risk “going” to Australia with a family on a temp visa with a hope it may become permanent I have seen too many of those go wrong but that’s me lol. Good luck ps do you or your partner not have any other work skills that are on the skills list? ps Have you tried NZ or Canada?