Reload this Page >

Cairns or Perth??

Cairns or Perth??

Old Aug 20th 2001, 8:10 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Hoping somebody may have an opinion? We are currently waiting to here some news on our skilled application. My husband is the primary applicant and he is a mechanic we are looking hopefully to start our own business and would appreciate any help in deciding were to locate. We have visited both and are unsure which would hold the best proepects.
Thank you in anticipation
Fox
Old Aug 21st 2001, 2:12 am
Jimmy John

Well for a start the annual climates of these two places is totally different and to
some people this can have big effect. Cairns is tropical and quite humid for a great
portion of the year, which to a person working under cars could cause large
discomfort unless they like that type of weather. Perth is moderate type of weather
but can get very wet and cold in winter. Cold in this case is below 15 degrees
celsius, can get above 37 degrees celsius in summer Both are very nice cities to live
in Perth is fairly laid back but is much larger ,being a capital city than Cairns ,
which is a tourist destination I cant comment on availability of mechanica
work/business in either place..dont know Regards Jim Please remove "SPAM" from my
email address to reply.

>
    >
    >
to here
    >
    >
start our own
    >
locate. We
    >
proepects.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 25th 2001, 12:04 pm
Mark Gardner

Hi Fox,

I to am a motor vehicle mechanic about halfway through the long wait for our visa.

Here are a few things I would consider if in your position.

During my visit to Australia I stayed in Melbourne, Adelaide, Launceston and near
to Hobart.

I looked around (as you do) to see what type of garage and other services were on
offer, whilst on the open roads between the major cities I noticed small one or two
person operations which were basically local servo's which also carried out repairs.
Unless you can be sure of what you are buying in to I'd term this as high risk, and
would advise a lot of research as to profit etc..

In the suburbs of the cities there were a lot of what I'd call garage service
centres, basically offering all types of maintenance & repair to a large variety of
vehicles, some employing a few people and others being sole traders. I would hazard a
guess that this would probably be quite a good area to look in to, there being more
people and hence more vehicles which require repairs. Again do your research, I saw
some suburbs which had at one time been extremely prosperous, but had now fallen in
to decline.

Another thing to consider would be a fast fit service centre in a highly populated
area. There may even be some franchise opportunities, I have not looked in to this
personally so am unable to comment fully.

I did notice quite a few RAAC orange vans whilst on the roads, and assume them to
be similar to our RAC or AA services. Again I don't know a great deal about them
so cannot comment. I would though be inclined to look in to how they operate to
see whether you could obtain an area to work in/from if they operate on a
franchise basis.

Take a look at the following link, it shows the skills shortages for each state in
Australia. http://www.dewrsb.gov.au/employment/...killshortages/

I would also contact Glenn Newton here [email protected] I will be doing so on our
arrival, he will be able to convert our UK qualifications in to nationally recognised
Australian equivalents.

I think that you will need these to be able to trade effectively.

Hope my ramblings help a little, would appreciate any info you may have come across.

Cheers Mark.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >