Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

heads up for down under

heads up for down under

Old May 23rd 2015, 12:53 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default heads up for down under

Some advice please good people, thinking of going back to Oz as a partner of a Kiwi (my wife) with that visa that gets renewed every 5 years,im 50 and she is 61.
we have a great life here but as a pub landlord i work 70-80 hours a week, combined income of @£70k but we both yearn to go back to Oz.
Now when we get there she doesnt want to work full time, maybe some part time,i will look for restaurant/pub/hotel work,aiming for 70,000 dollars upwards. we will be looking to rent to start then purchasing property for 400,000 dollars. We were looking at the Gold Coast and Adelaide.
The earliest we can get there i imagine is 18 months.
Are we mad? or is this doable? many thanks
Old May 23rd 2015, 2:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heads up for down under

Hi, sounds great, so long as you are comfortable with the feeling that every time you renew that visa, you may have 5 years max in Australia until you have to return to the UK.

I think it's your only way to live here though so better than nothing!

BB
Old May 23rd 2015, 2:09 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

the visa part didnt bother me as ive always taken chances but now its me and my wife and i need/want to do whats right for her. i was more about the wages and being able to live/survive/enjoy OZ!
Old May 23rd 2015, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that over 50 is over the hill in Aus so unless you have some highly in demand skill set your income estimate could be a bit high - or you will be working the same kind of silly hours. Financially you are going to be taking a big hit - think of living on less than half your current income. It'd be an adventure I guess and as long as there are just the two of you you can do pretty much what you fancy. You can always move on if it doesn't work. I'm a great believer in belt and braces though - career breaks, rent out the house etc if that's possible.
Old May 23rd 2015, 7:54 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this charming man
we have a great life here but as a pub landlord i work 70-80 hours a week, combined income of @£70k but we both yearn to go back to Oz.
Will you be selling the place or are you just leasing it/working as the boss?
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:57 am
kopites are gobshites

unfortuantely its not mine to sell, i work for a guy who owns a dozen pubs, tis a pity none of them are in Australia
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:58 am
kopites are gobshites

Originally Posted by quoll
Be aware that over 50 is over the hill in Aus so unless you have some highly in demand skill set your income estimate could be a bit high - or you will be working the same kind of silly hours. Financially you are going to be taking a big hit - think of living on less than half your current income. It'd be an adventure I guess and as long as there are just the two of you you can do pretty much what you fancy. You can always move on if it doesn't work. I'm a great believer in belt and braces though - career breaks, rent out the house etc if that's possible.
sound advice,thanks
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Scouse and I are coming over there, so you and your wife should definitely come over here.

That way, Liverpool gains two Reds and loses two Blues. Result!

Seriously, best of luck whatever you decide.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:21 pm
kopites are gobshites

being a blue im used to things not working out
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

being a blue im used to things not working out
Wasn't the best of years for Merseyside. I wouldn't mind nicking Martinez off you - anyone but Brenda, really
Old May 23rd 2015, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say a 61 year old is going to seriously struggle to get work. For yourself, working in hospitality you are more likely to be earning closer to the minimum wage.

At the moment, your income would be like earning about $170k. But, you are likely to be actually earning more like $50k combined.
Old May 24th 2015, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Totally wrong all above.

I've just gone through the figures and lost the bloody things once actually but here goes again. Minimum wage in Aus is 16.40 per hour for a 37.50 hour week... equals 615 dollars plus 37.5 (OverTime legal requirement)... hours at 24.60 = 922.50 which equates to 1537 Aud for a 75 hour week. Thats the absolute minimum you can earn legally.... We're talking combined income so that doubles and becomes 3074 per week... or 159848 per annum. Thats not taking into account penalty payments for out of hour and weekend rates, which would have to be a minimum of 15pct extra more like 30pct... So call it 20pct. So an extra 32,000 dollars minimum. 159848 Aud + 32,000 penalties = Aud 191848.

So according to Government award rate figures you are being ripped off in the UK for doing the same job for the same hours to the tune of 50,000 Aud. Thats on the minimum wage as well, I'm sure an experienced person would get more.

Source....

Minimum wages - Fact sheets - Fair Work Ombudsman

70,000 GBP = 138,796 Aud

Plenty of pub managers are 61YO+ here....more in the country and provincial towns though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 24th 2015 at 12:25 am.
Old May 24th 2015, 1:23 am
kopites are gobshites

i am always amazed by how much people on here care and help!
many thanks
Old May 24th 2015, 12:20 pm
Concierge

i am always amazed by how much people on here care and help!
many thanks
YNWA while you have BE members to help