Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading off to Work ahead of the Family

Heading off to Work ahead of the Family

Old May 25th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all
Default Heading off to Work ahead of the Family

I'd be interested to hear any experiences of anyone who has headed to Aus to work before the rest of your family for whatever reason ..
Why , did it work , how long was it before they joined you and are you glad you did it?

I'm considering setting up camp a few weeks before the rest of the clan come out , i'll be working , finding a rental etc.

Thanks for anything shared. Dave
Old May 25th 2010, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heading off to Work ahead of the Family

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641817
Old May 25th 2010, 11:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax
I'd be interested to hear any experiences of anyone who has headed to Aus to work before the rest of your family for whatever reason ..
Why , did it work , how long was it before they joined you and are you glad you did it?

I'm considering setting up camp a few weeks before the rest of the clan come out , i'll be working , finding a rental etc.

Thanks for anything shared. Dave
I did this. I came out about 10 weeks before my family (basically I had finished a contract in London and I was getting phone calls from Australia about work, so we decided that I would head over and get setup while my wife shut up shop in the UK). So I came out, got working, organised a house, car, furniture etc. It was great and I loved it. It was like being single again - in the pub every night, eating out, takeaways, long lie ins on the weekend. But my wife absolutely hated it - and I have never (or will ever) been allowed to forget it. She had to finalise the house sale and pack it up, organise the shipping, close accounts and basically wind up our lives over there - all while I was having a ball. She was stressed, I was chilled.

Have fun dude!

Last edited by Amazulu; May 26th 2010 at 12:22 am.
Old May 26th 2010, 1:51 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I did this. I came out about 10 weeks before my family (basically I had finished a contract in London and I was getting phone calls from Australia about work, so we decided that I would head over and get setup while my wife shut up shop in the UK). So I came out, got working, organised a house, car, furniture etc. It was great and I loved it. It was like being single again - in the pub every night, eating out, takeaways, long lie ins on the weekend. But my wife absolutely hated it - and I have never (or will ever) been allowed to forget it. She had to finalise the house sale and pack it up, organise the shipping, close accounts and basically wind up our lives over there - all while I was having a ball. She was stressed, I was chilled.

Have fun dude!

Sound like someone I know, although he said it was very stressful finding a rental

I am the other side of the coin. My hubby left UK in January and we followed on 3 months later. It was good in one way because at least he had some things already in place, i.e. job, house and a few other things. However I don't envy your poor wife, the last few weeks in the UK were HORRENDOUS I was doing goodbyes, packing, sorting the kids goodbyes, packing, finalising a rental, packing, selling cars, furniture etc etc. Everybody wanted some of my time and in the end I had none left to give

It's doable but please make sure your wife is aware it will be hard, worth it now I'm here

Good Luck
Old May 26th 2010, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I was left behind to sort out packing up house and things when we went to Bermuda bt only by about a week. I left my husband behind to sort out packing when we moved back.

We have talked about staggering a move to Australia, I think it makes sense for us. But I would never let my husband choose the house, cripes knows where I would end up living. He has lower standards than I.
Old May 26th 2010, 2:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
Sound like someone I know, although he said it was very stressful finding a rental
Actually it was stressful finding a rental - renting in WA is a nightmare.

My wife and son came out to a nice rental in Inglewood that I had furnished (even though it was basic) and a car organised - and I was working and bringing money in, so she needs to forgive and move on. But as she is a typical woman, forgets nothing and reserves the right to bring up past issues forever and at will.
Old May 26th 2010, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

my hubby is leaving me soon - I know he only worried about where to watch the World Cup.................

I have all under control this end - besides all the things that keep breaking down......

no we actually got a bit to do - but I'm sure we'll get focused on weekend and get things done.

I think it depends on how old your kids are - last time we had a 6 week break the kids were 4 & 6 and it was tough - but this time the kids are older 11&9 so a little more help and we are only going to be 3 weeks behind - so don't think it will be that bad.
Old May 26th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Have fun dude!
LOL
Old May 27th 2010, 6:04 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poitin
I think it depends on how old your kids are - last time we had a 6 week break the kids were 4 & 6 and it was tough - but this time the kids are older 11&9 so a little more help and we are only going to be 3 weeks behind - so don't think it will be that bad.
Ha ha, mine are 11 & 9 and absolutely no help (they are boys though)
Old May 27th 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by louise
Ha ha, mine are 11 & 9 and absolutely no help (they are boys though)
yep maybe i'm dreaming - i'll be on here in a few weeks crying
Old May 27th 2010, 12:20 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
He has lower standards than I.
has low standards yet chose you