Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading to Canberra?......

Heading to Canberra?......

Old May 1st 2007, 9:26 am
Just Joined

bencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Heading to Canberra?......

Hi
I already live in Canberra. It's an easy place to live in although settling in can be a bit difficult as most of the people are professionals (public servants, academics etc) and are not necessarily the most friendly or outgoing. We found the first 1-2 years a bit difficult on the social front. We now really like it as we've had time to make enough friends.
Some advantages:
- lots of well-paying jobs
- good weather (generally sunny but has four seasons)
- clean, good infrastructure
- less than 3 hours drive to the coast, Sydney and the mountains (plenty to offer outdoor enthusiasts).
- good schools
- lots of things for kids to do after school (you will end up driving them around a lot though)

Contrary to what a previous poster said, there are lots of bike paths and many people cycle to work. If you work in Civic, and have enough money, a good place to live is in the inner north: Ainslie, Hackett, Watson, Downer, Lyneham etc. Houses are surprisingly expensive though. Tuggeranong is too far and I don't like Gungahlin. The inner south is even more expensive than the inner north. A good alternative might be Jerrabomberra over the border in New South Wales. It's not close but there are lots of nice houses out there. Curtin would also be a good option as it is quite close to Civic - you could ride your bike to work!
Old May 1st 2007, 9:49 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the opinions everyone keep them coming......

Gunghalin? What puts you off? Be brutal! Be honest! I know what suits some won't suit others but would love to hear your opinions.

We intend just to rent for a while, is it just block size that puts you off or.........?

Hi Killamarsh, I thought I'd just pressed the submit reply button to your post the other week. Didn't realise I pressed the karma button, what's it for? What does it mean?.....

Thanks

Carmel
Old May 1st 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bencoles
Hi
I already live in Canberra. It's an easy place to live in although settling in can be a bit difficult as most of the people are professionals (public servants, academics etc) and are not necessarily the most friendly or outgoing. We found the first 1-2 years a bit difficult on the social front. We now really like it as we've had time to make enough friends.
Some advantages:
- lots of well-paying jobs
- good weather (generally sunny but has four seasons)
- clean, good infrastructure
- less than 3 hours drive to the coast, Sydney and the mountains (plenty to offer outdoor enthusiasts).
- good schools
- lots of things for kids to do after school (you will end up driving them around a lot though)

Contrary to what a previous poster said, there are lots of bike paths and many people cycle to work. If you work in Civic, and have enough money, a good place to live is in the inner north: Ainslie, Hackett, Watson, Downer, Lyneham etc. Houses are surprisingly expensive though. Tuggeranong is too far and I don't like Gungahlin. The inner south is even more expensive than the inner north. A good alternative might be Jerrabomberra over the border in New South Wales. It's not close but there are lots of nice houses out there. Curtin would also be a good option as it is quite close to Civic - you could ride your bike to work!
Couldn't agree more about Canberra been 'different'! Whilst I agree with what you said, I'll also add that in Canberra I personally have found that many people find it hard making friends because people move alot - particularly in the Govt.... Canberra is a public servant and student town (has lots of international and local students studying here). Basically, after graduation alot of students go elsewhere (Sydney or backhome to China etc) thus there is a high turnover rate. Also, many people enter the public service but stay for 5 years (on average). Thus again, there is a high turnover rate. Some people on another forum suggest getting involved in organised activites, such as sport etc...

Here is a recent article which highlights some facts about ACT:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives...ut_aust_7.html
Old May 1st 2007, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by carmele
Thanks for the opinions everyone keep them coming......

Gunghalin? What puts you off? Be brutal! Be honest! I know what suits some won't suit others but would love to hear your opinions.

We intend just to rent for a while, is it just block size that puts you off or.........?

Hi Killamarsh, I thought I'd just pressed the submit reply button to your post the other week. Didn't realise I pressed the karma button, what's it for? What does it mean?.....

Thanks

Carmel
Many Canberrians have a bone to pick about Gunghalin - it is a new area of Canberra that at one stage was the fastest growing area in Australia. Many people don't like it because the backyards are small and people live too close to each other. One of the main advantages of Canberra is the space and people's backyards. Unfortunately, Gunghalin doesn't offer this. Alot of people blame poor planning laws and 'greedy' developers. I personally like Gunghalin however....
Old May 1st 2007, 12:26 pm

ok great, thanks for your opinion it helps

Carmel
Old May 1st 2007, 12:39 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by googy
Couldn't agree more about Canberra been 'different'! Whilst I agree with what you said, I'll also add that in Canberra I personally have found that many people find it hard making friends because people move alot - particularly in the Govt.... Canberra is a public servant and student town (has lots of international and local students studying here). Basically, after graduation alot of students go elsewhere (Sydney or backhome to China etc) thus there is a high turnover rate. Also, many people enter the public service but stay for 5 years (on average). Thus again, there is a high turnover rate. Some people on another forum suggest getting involved in organised activites, such as sport etc...

Here is a recent article which highlights some facts about ACT:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives...ut_aust_7.html
good article - thanks for that!
Old May 1st 2007, 12:43 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

What about living outside of Canberra?

Having never been i have no idea of what there is outside of the city suburbs.
Can anyone enlighten me?

We need to consider commuting time but dont necessarily want to be living in the city - is there anywhere i could/should look at?

Thanks
Adele
Old May 1st 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
What about living outside of Canberra?

Having never been i have no idea of what there is outside of the city suburbs.
Can anyone enlighten me?

We need to consider commuting time but dont necessarily want to be living in the city - is there anywhere i could/should look at?

Thanks
Adele
Canberra isn't one big city like Sydney, London etc. The best way to describe Canberra is a city centre (Civic) with about half a dozen mini centres connected by a dual road network. Some of the centres include Belconnen, Tuggers, Gunghalin, Woden etc... In each centre, there are many suburbs. Many people work in the city (about 15-20 mins drive from each centre), but do all their shopping etc at each town centre.

The only other place I can think of 'outside' of ACT is Queanbeyan, which is in NSW. There is always a bit of rivarly between the two. Generally, Queanbeyan people are alot "poorer" than Canberrians, however ALOT do commute to Canberra. I am not sure of the time, but maybe 30-40 mins to Civic Centre. (Anyone else know the exact time???). Queanbeyan looks very different to ACT - it looks like a typical country NSW town..
Old May 1st 2007, 1:08 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by googy
Canberra isn't one big city like Sydney, London etc. The best way to describe Canberra is a city centre (Civic) with about half a dozen mini centres connected by a dual road network. Some of the centres include Belconnen, Tuggers, Gunghalin, Woden etc... In each centre, there are many suburbs. Many people work in the city (about 15-20 mins drive from each centre), but do all their shopping etc at each town centre.

The only other place I can think of 'outside' of ACT is Queanbeyan, which is in NSW. There is always a bit of rivarly between the two. Generally, Queanbeyan people are alot "poorer" than Canberrians, however ALOT do commute to Canberra. I am not sure of the time, but maybe 30-40 mins to Civic Centre. (Anyone else know the exact time???). Queanbeyan looks very different to ACT - it looks like a typical country NSW town..
thanks!
we would even consider semi-rural but i think that would need us to drive around the area and have a look for suitable areas.

did a quick check on multimap and it says 20 mins for Queanbeyan to Civic - (of course that is from 'edge to edge' rather than where you would prob be travelling from and doesnt take into account traffic etc) but that is still well within our commutable area so i will give it a look.

Adele

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; May 1st 2007 at 1:13 pm. Reason: oops! cant read a map :)
Old May 1st 2007, 7:02 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the input. This is more info than I have rcd in the whole time I have been using this forum. Apart from Sasbear - not to many people in Canberra on here.

I have lived in Brisbane, Logan City, Sydney, Melbourne, Earls Court, Notting Hill, Sheffield and now Derbyshire and I just can't wait for Canberra. My tummy is tingling as I think about it.

The joy of getting rid of the 'stuff' is fab.

Thank you so much for the suburb feedback as that's been really helpful. Also helpful to know where the council housing is as that can predetermine the make up of part of an area (no offense intented) and it's been difficult to get info off the net.

Does anyone know if you can buy canberra maps in the uk (I know a long shot) as mine is starting to fall apart from to much use. I know the online maps are great but there is nothing like a huge map laid out on the floor. I think it's time to sticky tape it up and photocopy it. I bought it in 2004 when I was there last.
Old May 1st 2007, 7:36 pm

What about this question......

I get the gist that the suburbs are pretty much self contained and I am sure that there will be plenty of activities for children.....

However are there any particular suburbs or areas that you feel caters for children the best?

Do all suburbs have swimming pools, gyms, cinemas, their own clubs such as karate clubs, football clubs and other activities? What are the best areas for this sort of thing without having to travel too far?

Hey have kids will travel, Mums taxi and all that! I am in and out the car like a yoyo!

Any input greatly received......

Thanks
Carmel
Old May 1st 2007, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

bencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura aboutbencoles has a spectacular aura about

Carmele
The reason I'm not so keen on Gungahlin is, as others have said, that the blocks are small and it is quite far from the rest of Canberra. Roads into the Civic have been quite congested but this will probably improve with a new road they will open later this year. That being said, if you want to maximise the size of your house for your $$$, and you put a premium on having a new house, then it might be a good option. I think there are more young children in the outer (cheaper) suburbs like Gungahlin.

We were tempted to consider moving into a semi-rural area. The countryside around Canberra is lovely - particularly after some rain. There are lots of nice houses on multi-acre blocks. Good areas are Murumbateman and, in the direction of Lake George, Macs Reef Road and Bungendore Road. We had friends who lived on Macs Reef Road about 3 minutes to the Federal Highway and it only took them 10-15 minutes to get into Dickson for shoping and maybe another 10-15 minutes to get into Civic. Most people have horses and there are some really nice houses. You can also drive to the coast in about 1 hour 45 minutes from there and to the centre of Sydney in about 2.5 hours.

I agree about the social thing being affected by the high turnover rate. We have, for instance, had friends who were diplomats and, come what may, they leave after 4 years. Many young public servants go back to state capitals after a few years. This is partly because Canberra is not a cheap place to live and it can be hard to retain younger, less wealthy people.

Originally Posted by carmele
What about this question......

I get the gist that the suburbs are pretty much self contained and I am sure that there will be plenty of activities for children.....

However are there any particular suburbs or areas that you feel caters for children the best?

Do all suburbs have swimming pools, gyms, cinemas, their own clubs such as karate clubs, football clubs and other activities? What are the best areas for this sort of thing without having to travel too far?

Hey have kids will travel, Mums taxi and all that! I am in and out the car like a yoyo!

Any input greatly received......

Thanks
Carmel
Old May 1st 2007, 9:28 pm

Just found this link for canberra if it helps anyone....

www.street-directory.com.au

I'm not sure how comprehensive this list is but there are contact details for businesses, entertainment, clubs, health and fitness etc. You can search by category.

Carmel
Old May 1st 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
thanks!
we would even consider semi-rural but i think that would need us to drive around the area and have a look for suitable areas.

did a quick check on multimap and it says 20 mins for Queanbeyan to Civic - (of course that is from 'edge to edge' rather than where you would prob be travelling from and doesnt take into account traffic etc) but that is still well within our commutable area so i will give it a look.

Adele
Sutton is just over the border - we have family with property out there - can be a bit pricey but then again it depends on what you are looking for.
Old May 2nd 2007, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Gungahlin just doesn't do it for me, roof line touchings, houses too big for the blocks, seems like it is shops, dense urban accommodation with the big highlight going to the Ainslie Club for a dinner and waste all your $s int the pokey machines. For me it just doesn't have what the older suburbs have.

Queanbeyan has a certain stigma. Never lived there myself, probably never will.

For me nothing beats the inner burbs. Larger blocks, development trees in the street, public transport is a bit easier, life seems more relaxed with more long term residents. If you want to spend $500k take a look at Ainslie, Dicksons, Hackett has some interesting buildings. However for that price expect a renovators delight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.