Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heading to Canberra?......

Heading to Canberra?......

Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:38 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heading to Canberra?......

thanks for the street map adele, very handy!

Carmel
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:25 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

We are still debating whether to ship or not to ship?

I see the nearest ikea is in sydney, has anyone done a round trip? We were thinking of hiring a van and driving to sydney to get everything we need (well providing it's in stock!)

We definately wouldn't ship if ikea was on our doorstep. The only problem with it not being on the doorstep is that if they only have a bed base in stock for example and not the mattress then we've had it, it's another trip to sydney in a hired van!

Or has anybody used their delivery service and if so how much is it? We tried to guesstimate the cost from their mileage list and it only comes to $300.

Thanks

Carmel
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:53 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Googy you aren't related to two other people on here are you? I am planning on moving to Belconnen. However, really can't make much of the suburbs and more importantly the schools there. My son will be 9 soon so will be in primary. Please be honest - are there any suburbs in Belconnen that are best avoided or aren't the best? I have asked this question on several people and get a no, and I guess I am sceptical - perhaps it's true and everywhere is ok. If you know anyone who has younger kids, or perhaps you do, and knows primary schools - can they recommend any or advise me to steer clear at all?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:06 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Have another question for anyone who may know. Is it a lot cheaper to fly to Melbourne and then to buy a seperate flight with an internal operater? I only ask as I was looking at prices and the prices difference for Manchester to Canberra and Manchester to Melbourne is massive.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:11 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by googy
Legally, there is a big difference between buying land in ACT (Canberra) and NSW. In NSW (& other states), you "buy" your land thus you can own it and do what you want with it (subject to the local planning laws etc). In ACT, you get a 99 year lease from the Govt, thus at the end of the 99 years the govt can technically take it back from you. It is a big issue here recently in Canberra, as you will be aware that ACT was settled approx 96 years ago (or around that mark), thus alot of leases are coming up for renewal in the next few years. There was talk a few yrs ago of going like NSW but nothing happened. I think from what I have read the government will offer the people the lease again for another 99 years. I think they will get it for "free" or pay a token amount of $1.00.

However, in reality this system means "nothing" to most normal people. if you asked the average "joe" on the street they problery wouldn't even know. It doesn't really effect anything in the day to day running of the property.

I have found some info that u may like

http://www.actpla.act.gov.au/__data/...3Leasehold.pdf

It explains the lot...

Cheers

Casey
Canberra, Aust.
didnt know that - thanks for the info.

In the uk i have always avoided buying leasehold properties just because it is easier not to. Never really got my head around what is supposed to happen when you get to the end of the lease?!!

Adele
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:17 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Googy you aren't related to two other people on here are you? I am planning on moving to Belconnen. However, really can't make much of the suburbs and more importantly the schools there. My son will be 9 soon so will be in primary. Please be honest - are there any suburbs in Belconnen that are best avoided or aren't the best? I have asked this question on several people and get a no, and I guess I am sceptical - perhaps it's true and everywhere is ok. If you know anyone who has younger kids, or perhaps you do, and knows primary schools - can they recommend any or advise me to steer clear at all?
not sure how true it is but i did read somewhere that there are not really any 'bad' areas in canberra (not in comparison with 'bad' areas of the uk anyway )

maybe you would be better asking where the really nice parts of Belconnen are?

Adele
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:59 pm
Canberra bound

Smile Re: Heading to Canberra?......

Already done that and all I get is that everywhere is ok and there aren't any 'bad' areas. I thought people were being polite but I think they were actually telling the truth. I thought if I ask what are the awful areas that I could takes some off my list. No chance. Hey I'm not complaining. What city in the world can truly say that there aren't any areas to really avoid? Not many. Iv'e been looking at flights and it is making my stomach turn. Can't believe I will be back with my family within a year - hopefully.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
not sure how true it is but i did read somewhere that there are not really any 'bad' areas in canberra (not in comparison with 'bad' areas of the uk anyway )

maybe you would be better asking where the really nice parts of Belconnen are?

Adele
Ok for fear of upsetting anyone here goes...

Fraser is an older, more established area of Belconnen with larger blocks and quite a sought after area.

Parts of Flynn and Charnwood and Holt are areas that are 'not so nice' but nothing compared to being 'bnot so nice' in the UK. Even though some areas border next to Charnwood it doesn't mean they are all 'not so nice' but out of the three - Charnwood would be the one to avoid if I was you.

Melba and Evatt are nice, Dunlop is newer and more expensive, smaller blocks. Higgins is ok and so are most of the other areas in Belconnen.

If anyone has seen a house on the Net and would like info on the area then please feel free to PM me and if I can help- I will
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:16 pm
Canberra bound

Hi Sas thanks for that as my concerns about Charnwood have been confirmed. However, something is drawing me to Evatt and I am unsure what that is - sorry to sound strange, but just a gut instict type thing. Sorry I missed you at the meet in Chesterfield but little one ended up having a party that day.

And just to confirm Sasbear will assist if you ask.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sas thanks for that as my concerns about Charnwood have been confirmed. However, something is drawing me to Evatt and I am unsure what that is - sorry to sound strange, but just a gut instict type thing. Sorry I missed you at the meet in Chesterfield but little one ended up having a party that day.

And just to confirm Sasbear will assist if you ask.
Thanks Killamarsh - yes it would have been great to meet you.

We rented at Evatt when we arrived. Nice area and quite, but stay away from the shop area as there are quite a lot of government housing there.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot depends on how much money you have to spend. My in-laws live in Ainslie, and if I had the money I would probably be looking at the inner north as well. I also like Aranda, some parts of Cook, Macquarie. I am not a big fan of Gungahlin and the newer areas as the blocks are much smaller.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vicky88
I think a lot depends on how much money you have to spend. My in-laws live in Ainslie, and if I had the money I would probably be looking at the inner north as well. I also like Aranda, some parts of Cook, Macquarie. I am not a big fan of Gungahlin and the newer areas as the blocks are much smaller.

I agree.

Cook and Macquarie are nice as in Weetangera.
Old May 1st 2007, 7:00 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by sasbear
Thanks Killamarsh - yes it would have been great to meet you.

We rented at Evatt when we arrived. Nice area and quite, but stay away from the shop area as there are quite a lot of government housing there.
Would government housing be the same as council housing in the uk?
Old May 1st 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Already done that and all I get is that everywhere is ok and there aren't any 'bad' areas. I thought people were being polite but I think they were actually telling the truth. I thought if I ask what are the awful areas that I could takes some off my list. No chance. Hey I'm not complaining. What city in the world can truly say that there aren't any areas to really avoid? Not many. Iv'e been looking at flights and it is making my stomach turn. Can't believe I will be back with my family within a year - hopefully.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH
From an "Aussie" perspective, there are no 'bad' parts of Canberra compared to say bigger cities such as Sydney. I personally would live in any canberra suburb. No one suburb has "all bad people" so to speak; however there are suburbs that some Canberrians churn their noses up at - charnwood been one. It isn't "bad" as such, however it is alittle far from Civic (the CBD) and generally "poorer" people live there. I have had friends from uni live there and it is fine - I never hear any murders etc out there....
Old May 1st 2007, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

googy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the roughgoogy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Would government housing be the same as council housing in the uk?
I don't know about Govt housing in UK, but i'd assume it is the same.

In ACT, they use to have a big housing commission apartment block out at Lyons - disaster!!!! It created lots of social problems as all the 'poorer' people were stuck together. The govt in ACT (and other govts in aust) realised that this strategy is not the best - the new strategy is to have govt housing throughout the community so people integrate. I think they have removed the apartment block in Lyons (Woden area) and the suburb is now just an "average" suburb.

Last edited by googy; May 1st 2007 at 8:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.