Reload this Page >

Having a baby in Australia!

Having a baby in Australia!

Old Aug 12th 2013, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

PandaQueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a baby in Australia!

Hi,

Well, I just found out the other day that I am having a baby, though I am only 3 weeks so who knows what will happen. Anyway, I'm going to Australia in a month (I posted a previous post regarding visas) with my Australian partner. I am British. I know there is some sort of Medicare agreement with the UK, but I know nothing in detail.

What I want to know is, how much (an estimate would be nice) will having a baby in Australia be? I'm so worried about it :S apparently no health insurance covers it, so I'm screwed!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a baby in Australia!

Originally Posted by PandaQueen
Hi,

Well, I just found out the other day that I am having a baby, though I am only 3 weeks so who knows what will happen. Anyway, I'm going to Australia in a month (I posted a previous post regarding visas) with my Australian partner. I am British. I know there is some sort of Medicare agreement with the UK, but I know nothing in detail.

What I want to know is, how much (an estimate would be nice) will having a baby in Australia be? I'm so worried about it :S apparently no health insurance covers it, so I'm screwed!
If you are British, and on the prospective Marriage Visa or de facto visa you are entitled to Medicare cover. You may have to insist on seeing a supervisor at medicare to get it sorted - several of us have had to do this - but the fact is that as you have to be in Aus in order to go from PMV to Spouse PR, you are entitled to it

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 12th 2013 at 4:06 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

The problem is, I have to wait to go on these visas to prove I have been living with my partner, so I will only be on the Working Holiday Visa
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is, I have to wait to go on these visas to prove I have been living with my partner, so I will only be on the Working Holiday Visa
Ah, in that case you are screwed because on the WHV you are not allowed to have a dependant with you at any time of the duration of your visa. Once you have the bub youd have to go anyway and I'm not sure how the reciprocal agreement works for that - they may tell you to go while you still can as the reciprocity is only for necessary medical intervention. You could go on a prospective spouse visa and have 9 months to get married or he could stay in UK with you - far less hassle!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Well, we were thinking of getting married now a baby's involved - I mean, we were going to in the future, we might as well now since it will benefit us. If I come on the WHV in September and get married that month, then maybe wait a month before applying for the spouse visa, where you don't need to have been living together for a certain time, do you think that will work?

But as that visa is processing, I will still need to be checked on by the GP and midwife for the progress of the pregnancy, and I was wondering how much that sort of thing will be.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we were thinking of getting married now a baby's involved - I mean, we were going to in the future, we might as well now since it will benefit us. If I come on the WHV in September and get married that month, then maybe wait a month before applying for the spouse visa, where you don't need to have been living together for a certain time, do you think that will work?

But as that visa is processing, I will still need to be checked on by the GP and midwife for the progress of the pregnancy, and I was wondering how much that sort of thing will be.
But why go on a WHV? You can go on a prospective spouse visa and have 9 months to get married. You'd have a much more secure option there. Also, be forewarned and check out The Hague Convention - if it goes pear shaped you would be unlikely to get leave to remove from the country or even jurisdiction without permission. Of course, chances are that wont happen but knowledge is power.

I'd be talking to an agent if I were you!

Last edited by quoll; Aug 12th 2013 at 7:16 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

The reason is, in September, my partner's visa in the UK ends, so if I didn't go on the WHV we would be separated for at least 6 months, which neither of us wants. I understand that the Prospective is better, but in these circumstances, we really don't want to be apart. I don't know any agents *sobs* I feel really helpless right now
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

It's a tricky one, get yourself to the registry office this weekend and all problems solved! As someone said, you can't have WHV with a dependant. So I would guess they would withdraw it anyway if they found out you were pregnant.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The reason is, in September, my partner's visa in the UK ends, so if I didn't go on the WHV we would be separated for at least 6 months, which neither of us wants. I understand that the Prospective is better, but in these circumstances, we really don't want to be apart. I don't know any agents *sobs* I feel really helpless right now
Is there no way he can extend his visa? No UK or Irish born grandparent perhaps?

There are loads of agents out there - a quick google will find you one (MARA accredited ones!). It does sound like a real pickle but honestly I think you'd be taking a big risk on a WHV. Long distance relationships are perfectly do-able! Good luck!