Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has life improved for your children?

Has life improved for your children?

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

farrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud offarrierswife has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has life improved for your children?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread (and those that sent me Karma!)

I have just re-read the entire thread - it is really motivational for us and I would recommend anyone coming to Oz with kids to have a read.

Cheers

Buzzy
Totally agree excellant thread to help with certain worries being that we are due to take 5 of the little guys over there!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

spanishlullaby is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread to read, it's so refreshing to see so many expats happy with their move and the children benefiting too. As parents we always want the best for our children so it's great to read many success stories
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:41 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by richard-elly
No it's in Anglesea Victoria on the Great Ocean Road. We must be the only people who didn't move to Perth ! lol
Anglesea's a great spot to live, great beach and great river near otway ranges great ocean road, the benefits of country living but close to two large cities, Geelong and Melbourne.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 22nd 2007 at 8:45 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:17 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I have just re-read the entire thread - it is really motivational for us and I would recommend anyone coming to Oz with kids to have a read.
Yea - good shout. In fact, it give me a chance to update things. When we moved out here, Josh did six weeks in big school, then we realised he was too young (class full of six year olds) and he went on to do six months of pre-school (at a time when he'd have been in year 2 in the UK ) and started big school properly in January. He's at an excellent school with all sorts of cool programs, such as B.U.R.P (buddy-up reading program) in which an old child is buddied up with a kindy kid and the young'uns read to them. He loves his school day, has an excellent teacher and is fitting in just great. On Saturdays he plays in a local junior soccer team, on Sundays we go to the local Surf Life Saving Club for 'nippers' which he loves. We often pick him up from school and head straight to the beach for an hour to splash around in the waves and boogie board. We regularly go to Sydney for days out (he's obsessed with the Centerpoint Sky Tower). We also walk in the national parks here, kayak and swim in the rivers. He rides his bike in the street and regularly has friends round to play. Plus he now has a pool in the back garden and has become a right little water babe. He's still in touch with a couple of his little mates in the UK by Skype webcam. If you think about it, of course, he could have got involved in plenty of activities in the UK (football, cub-scouts etc) - but it's all so much more laid-back here and when asked if he'd like to go back to England he just laughs ...
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:55 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea - good shout. In fact, it give me a chance to update things. When we moved out here, Josh did six weeks in big school, then we realised he was too young (class full of six year olds) and he went on to do six months of pre-school (at a time when he'd have been in year 2 in the UK ) and started big school properly in January. He's at an excellent school with all sorts of cool programs, such as B.U.R.P (buddy-up reading program) in which an old child is buddied up with a kindy kid and the young'uns read to them. He loves his school day, has an excellent teacher and is fitting in just great. On Saturdays he plays in a local junior soccer team, on Sundays we go to the local Surf Life Saving Club for 'nippers' which he loves. We often pick him up from school and head straight to the beach for an hour to splash around in the waves and boogie board. We regularly go to Sydney for days out (he's obsessed with the Centerpoint Sky Tower). We also walk in the national parks here, kayak and swim in the rivers. He rides his bike in the street and regularly has friends round to play. Plus he now has a pool in the back garden and has become a right little water babe. He's still in touch with a couple of his little mates in the UK by Skype webcam. If you think about it, of course, he could have got involved in plenty of activities in the UK (football, cub-scouts etc) - but it's all so much more laid-back here and when asked if he'd like to go back to England he just laughs ...
We have the buddy reading system too and my 9 year old met with her buddy for the first time yesterday. She loves the responsibility and the fact this little year 1 girl looks up to her. Great idea isn't it.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have any kids in the UK, but its hard enough as it is - I'm guessing without lack of space (housing and lifestyle), free facilities, only 1 of us having to work, it would be a lot harder in the UK - for us.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I didn't have any kids in the UK, but its hard enough as it is - I'm guessing without lack of space (housing and lifestyle), free facilities, only 1 of us having to work, it would be a lot harder in the UK - for us.
I'll let you know when I'm in a position to compare. Right now Badge our kids have a great life here (at the age of 1 3/4), I'm expecting them to have a great life in Melbourne too.

However I can imagine that life for them when they are a bit older will be appreciably different in the 2 places.

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

True Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to beholdTrue Blue Toffee is a splendid one to behold

What a fantastic thread......... reading this has certainly allayed some fears my hubby and I had for our boys (6 and 8). We always believed that moving them at the age they are would be easier than waiting, so were gutted when, initially, our 8 year old told us he wasn't sure he wanted to go because he'd miss all his friends.

Reading posts, looking at photos and doing our own research we now know as a family this is the best decision we will ever make (hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the bum!!) But, if we don't try it we'll never know.

Thanks to everyone who has given their opinions - greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:23 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well as this has become a cute baby thread
Attached Thumbnails Has life improved for your children?-p2182107s.jpg   Has life improved for your children?-p1282061s.jpg  
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has life improved for your children?

Oh OK then if you insist.

Buzzy
Attached Thumbnails Has life improved for your children?-cuddle.jpg  
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:41 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by True Blue Toffee
he wasn't sure he wanted to go because he'd miss all his friends.
They make new friends and share new birthdays together
Attached Thumbnails Has life improved for your children?-birthdays012.jpg  
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebears
They make new friends and share new birthdays together
Woooh those cakes look like some hyperactivity coming from all!

Buzzy
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:15 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Woooh those cakes look like some hyperactivity coming from all!

Buzzy
Ah lucky for us they have very limited sugar and are given at morning tea so they can burn off any excess energy.

I have to go in next week to help - missed this weeks pancakes on Tuesday

Think I'm doing finger painting
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:14 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for flagging this up for me Buzzy Bee. I'ts just want i wanted to read about !!
M J
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:30 pm
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

sorry to put a damper on things but i am afraid my son 14yrs is having a terrible time

he is so homesick , from the moment he stepped off the plane til now 9 months in ,he has changed from a sporty active popular kid to a shallow negative kid .

He is in a soccer club , goes dirt biking every weekend with his dad and made mates at school but unfortunatly he is very negative and just wants to go home .

We have decided to go back to the uk over easter to try and help him with the homesickness this may be a bad idea but we have to try something before giving in and going home.

so my answer is if he could settle here i know his life would improve but that just is not happening for him at the moment .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.