Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has life improved for your children?

Has life improved for your children?

Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has life improved for your children?

wow look at that happy little face...
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived when number 1 son was 17 months. He is enrolled at a fabulous Early Learning Centre and is playing outside most of the time. He was bright and confident before so I can only say that his progress is what we would have hoped for had we stayed in UK.

However, the weather really does make a huge difference. He's outside playing until he goes to bed. He wears shorts/t shirts all the time and is always exhausted after a day outdoors breathing in all the fresh sea air. Brilliant
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:45 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter does so much more than she used to in the UK. Admittedly, a large part of that is we can afford for Sam not to work which means she has time for Guides / State Swim etc that we couldn't fit in back in the UK. But even taking that out of the picture she does loads more exercise (swimming in the pool, bodyboarding at the beach etc - which means she sleeps better!) and I reckon in the long run a bit of upheaval will build character and make her better at making friends than I was in years gone by.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I don't think it has improved for ours, if anything Henry is worse off as he would have started school in England.

They're also going without a lot of stuff but then they go to the beach once a fortnight which is more than they would have done in England.

Here's two photos one at Anglesea and one at Werribee South
Bit harsh making him wear that Hammers top though isn't it mate!

That's some nice surf on that beach - just about the perfect height for body-boarding I reckon. Now I'm going to have to go and sigh over the coastalwatch cams again ...
Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Has life improved for your children?

Great thread guys! As a mum to 2 boys aged 3 & 4 at moment its key that they get on well and as we're an outside family in UK despite the weather then I hope for even better out there ...

However my question is this - we will be 2+ hrs from coast and worry that too much focus gets put on sea life etc - anyone there not near the sea??
Old Mar 30th 2006, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jothefw
Great thread guys! As a mum to 2 boys aged 3 & 4 at moment its key that they get on well and as we're an outside family in UK despite the weather then I hope for even better out there ...

However my question is this - we will be 2+ hrs from coast and worry that too much focus gets put on sea life etc - anyone there not near the sea??

Where are you moving to?
Old Mar 30th 2006, 12:08 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
When would children whose birthday is May 16th start school for the first time in Oz?

Cheers

Buzzy
Try this link.....

http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/ece/Australia.htm

Nikki
Old Mar 30th 2006, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
When would children whose birthday is May 16th start school for the first time in Oz?

Cheers

Buzzy

Children must be at least five years old by 30 April in the year of starting school to be enrolled in a Victorian government school.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

We're heading to Keith/Bordertown, SA - well 25 kms north east of.

Outback proper ... reccie in 4 weeks can't wait!!!!!
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Picture kind of speaks for itself:
Attached Thumbnails Has life improved for your children?-01-01-06-080a.jpg  

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 30th 2006 at 1:26 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:33 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Picture kind of speaks for itself:
If I didn't know any better (because of the weather) I would swear that's a British beach in the height of summer.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
If I didn't know any better (because of the weather) I would swear that's a British beach in the height of summer.
It was a drizzly day but it was warm, he's wearing a t-shirt & shorts.

Here's another one from the same day:
Attached Thumbnails Has life improved for your children?-01-01-06-078a.jpg  
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:47 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say yes - certainly for my eldest (he's 8). We've only been here since November 05, but he hasn't looked back. He LOVES school and has made loads of friends. My 5 year old daughter thoroughly enjoys school too! I can honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of times they have mentioned someone/something they miss from England.

It's not as 'academic' and they focus on the whole individual more than stats and tests. My son's class took the whole assembly on Wednesday and parents are encouraged to attend (far from our UK school!). They do lots of sports and there is less pressure on the kids to 'perform'.

My son cycles to school and back on his own, and often comes home, dumps his school bag and goes to the skate park with his friends for an hour. A far cry from the UK where they would walk into the house at 3pm and not centure out somedays until school the next morning due to the weather and homework.....

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they adapt.

Jules.
Attached Thumbnails Has life improved for your children?-kanga.jpg  
Old Mar 30th 2006, 4:50 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

I was a bit dubious about reading this thread we leave the uk in 2 weeks and two days for WA its my 3 girls last day of school tomorrow so emotions are running high, this is just the kind of thing i needed to read and hope in a couple of months when they have started school and making new friends can agree with you all!!!

Cheers peeps oh and the photos are great all the kids look gorgeous!!!

Kris xx
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

rich8509 will become famous soon enoughrich8509 will become famous soon enough

Thanks everybody who has added their experience's to this thread. Me and the wife have found great comfort in reading them.

Cheers
Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.