Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has australia lost it sparkle???

Has australia lost it sparkle???

Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:16 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has australia lost it sparkle???

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I have never been to Oz personally and don't really have any definite intention to do so but my cousin and her partner moved there from North Wales with her two small boys when they were very young and then had to return to the UK after just over a year due to family issues and she said that her kids seemed generally a lot more lively and independant in Melbourne than they did when they got back.

In Melbourne the kids would be out playing all the time of their own choosing and be constantly active whereas when they returned to the UK the kids seemed happy to just stay indoors more, go to McDonalds and play on their DS.
Yeh, but that's compared to Wales ...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:41 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Yeh, but that's compared to Wales ...
Oh yeah definitely, if I lived in Wales then I probably wouldn't want to go outside too often.

I've often thought that it would be funny if Julia Gillard still had her Welsh accent.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah definitely, if I lived in Wales then I probably wouldn't want to go outside too often.

I've often thought that it would be funny if Julia Gillard still had her Welsh accent.
YOU are in serious danger of giving me nightmares with thoughts like that ... and I had such a good day too
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Think of combining a session of Australian parliament with an episode of Gavin and Stacey and I think you'll get the idea.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:06 pm
Mostly Harmless

Think of combining a session of Australian parliament with an episode of Gavin and Stacey and I think you'll get the idea.
Gavin and Stacey would raise the tone

Hmmm, Cerys Matthews, what happened to her? <drifts off into the 90s>
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:09 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I think she moved to the US. I remember her releasing a solo album and doing a UK tour not too long ago though.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:14 pm
Mostly Harmless

I think she moved to the US. I remember her releasing a solo album and doing a UK tour not too long ago though.
Indeed, moved to Nashville as I recall ... I followed Catatonia around Wales during their Home Internationals tour, she had a great voice ... I digress and suspect the peaks of 'Britpop' will be my festival going peak also
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Indeed, moved to Nashville as I recall ... I followed Catatonia around Wales during their Home Internationals tour, she had a great voice ... I digress and suspect the peaks of 'Britpop' will be my festival going peak also
I saw them live once when I was 17, seems so long ago now unfortunately that I'm the wrong side of 25.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I saw Catatonia support the Manics in Swansea...it was a great gig...apart from it was in Wales
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:18 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

It is very difficult to start giving advice to persons whose situations are not that well known but as that person himself asked for advice and given the information he has given us I'd say just stay put. Stay where you are, moving will not help things.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been to Oz personally and don't really have any definite intention to do so but my cousin and her partner moved there from North Wales with her two small boys when they were very young and then had to return to the UK after just over a year due to family issues and she said that her kids seemed generally a lot more lively and independant in Melbourne than they did when they got back.

In Melbourne the kids would be out playing all the time of their own choosing and be constantly active whereas when they returned to the UK the kids seemed happy to just stay indoors more, go to McDonalds and play on their DS.
But is that due to Australia/Wales or the parents who don't encourage their kids to play outside all the time on their own in Wales? A lot of posters here seem to be under some illusion that the UK is a crime ridden hell hole where Australia is a paradise where children can run free and play outside without a worry.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Australia is a paradise where children can run free and play outside without a worry.
You mean it isnt? They cant

On a serious note, there are more Maccas, kfcs etc per square mile here than I ever saw in the UK....Where I lived...and where I live now...
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Tracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant futureTracemul7 has a brilliant future

My opinion varies slightly from others.

I would say that moving now with your kids is better.
The older the kids get, the harder it is to move.

This is voice of experience - my mum spent 10 years retraining to get her Visa, and me and my sis really wanted to move. When she finally got it, me and my sis had boyfs etc, and decided we didnt wanna go.
We were both over 16, so she left us behind - but within the 3 years following that, we both came over and not considering going back (and my boyf is now my hubby of almost 5 years).

Things like pensions/super are hugely different. When I was at school I was told that there would be no money left in the state pension, yet the place i worked before emigrating was very small, and had no recommended pension fund. Compare this to working in Education, with 17% super - there is a huge difference!!

Also, my nephew has been here since he was 3, and settled very well into school etc, but I think bringing an old child (say 10+) would be harder for them to settle, after having alot of friends at old schools etc.

My personal opinion is that Australia has alot to offer you. In regards to the push/pull factors - I had no 'push' factors, only 'pull' - which including family in Oz and the attractive weather. However we did also leave behind family and friends and everything we had ever know. Never underestimate how hard that is - even now I still have home-sick days where I miss everything, from friends and family, to shops, food and places.

I would always advise anyone to spend some time in Oz before they move, and try to treat it like they live here, not a holiday.

just my two cents
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

I have just seen this post and haven't had a chance to read the many replies but here's my tuppence

If we didn't have kids I would not bother coming here. As you may have seen on other threads its now pretty dear here. Other than that its very similar to the Uk - just with a lot better weather. Disadv is its in the middle of nowhere. UK is awesome for singles/couples as you can get cheap flights to europe all the time. In the week you are stuck at work, weekends you're boozing. So I wouldn't have bothered coming

But as I said we have kids. And if i were a kid there are not many better places on the earth I would like to grow up. The lifestyle is ace, the weather is great - this opens up so many things - going to the beach, playing sports, going to the park. Kids in the UK have nothing to do but hang about street corners and play Xbox. So yeah in terms of kids this is the place to be. Just make sure the work you can get you are earning 2.5 times what you earn in the UK - as its that much more expensive.

Am sure some people will disagree but I'm just giving you my advice.

p.s Bermudashorts - the weather in the last 6 months here is the worst you have ever encountered. Must be nice having lived in Hawaii all your life ;-)
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
Kids in the UK have nothing to do but hang about street corners and play Xbox.
God this is such a cliche!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.